Author Topic: Bill's 1 Ton TJ Build  (Read 42333 times)

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
Re: Front End Upgrade... Maybe
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2011, 05:51:25 AM »
i think if u have the money to do it now u should go a head and do it, b/c ull end up doing it later and its just easy to do now.

I didn't mean that long...  I just meant I need to get the axles built first and your project is nearing completion.

On a different note, I have been reading a bunch tonight about rear suspension options and stumbled upon this:

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/susp/tjleafsprings/

Anyways, it got me thinking and reading.  Apparently there are a bunch of guys out there running about 5-6" of stretch using stock XJ rear leafs in the rear set up SOA in TJ's with very good results.  It really suprised me, but people that have done it all say they love it.

I'm not saying it is definatly what I am going to do with mine.  I just found it very interesting and thought I would share it here for everyone else to chew on as well.  It would really make for an easy swap.  I even found a kit from Blue Torch Fab that gives you just about everything you need to do it.

4 Link Suspensions are awsome, dont' get me wrong, but I'm trying to keep this thing low on 37's.  That means I will not have a bunch of room for upward travel anyways.  I really think the extra flex a 4 link would give me over this type of set up would be lost when it hits the bump stops anyways.

Like I said, not saying its what I want to do just yet.  Just throwing it out there.

Anyone have a stock set of XJ rear leafs laying around they would part with?
04 TJ, HP60, 14 Bolt, 5.13's, linked, locked, on 38's and (still) in the works.

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2011, 05:25:19 AM »
xj leaves suck

i  had a set on my jeep for a week then i got some taco leaves much better ride and not as much sag if you are going to run leaves in the rear don't forger the anti wrap bar

most people i know who have xj leaves have at least 2 main leaves for a pseudo military wrap and the xj leves will need very good bump stops

"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2011, 06:50:23 AM »
Ya, I really doubt I would use the leafs.  I just saw it while reading tech write ups and thought it was interesting.

I'm torn about the whole idea and if I like it or not.  I did add up the cost of the swap and to do it right with good brackets and leafs I would have just about as much wrapped up into it as I would a decent 4 link.

I really would love to use the Clayton Stretch 4 link kit, but it is not cheap.  I still may just set it up with the aftermarket short arms I have until I have the coin to stretch and 4 link it.  I know I would be doing a lot of work all over though.  Just depends on total gearing/rebuild cost on my axles.

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2011, 01:19:22 PM »
i think the stretch is deff. the way to go however i think ur best bet would be a 4 link with some air shock and i dont think it would to crazy expensive to do.

im a pretty big fan of this kit!
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Synergy-Suspension-Jeep-TJ-LJ-Weld-On-4-Link-Rear-Kit-p-2072.html
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2011, 10:03:10 PM »
i think the stretch is deff. the way to go however i think ur best bet would be a 4 link with some air shock and i dont think it would to crazy expensive to do.

im a pretty big fan of this kit!
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Synergy-Suspension-Jeep-TJ-LJ-Weld-On-4-Link-Rear-Kit-p-2072.html

I was looking into the Air shocks but the one drawback (for me) is the overall length of them.

I picked up a 4 link kit from Ruff Stuff Specialities, http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=58&products_id=441, it comes with a truss but no tubing.

One of these days I'll actually start working on it and then I'll be having fun like Nate is now!
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2011, 10:04:38 PM »
I had seen that kit and thought it looked good too.  It will really all depend on how the axles come out.  I already have most of the parts for them either on order or picked out.  I want both axles internally exactly how I want them before I start the swap.  Originally, I was going to do lincoln lockers in both to save money for the swap.  The problem with that is it isn't really what I wanted especially since the main goal of my build is to keep it streetable.  So, I bought the detroit for the rear 14 bolt and last night I bought an Eaton E-Locker for the front.  This will give me a very nice selectable locker for the front and a good strong locker for the rear.  I'll easily be able to drive it on the street without problems.  Most of all, I will have both axles exactly how I want them and will not have to mess with swapping carriers, ect. in the future.

I called Clayton today and talked to them about options for stretching it with 37's and not having to do a comp cut.  They recommended going with a 5" stretch, but nothing more.  This way I don't have to cut the body like crazy and I can still run an fuel cell under it.  I was thinking of going with a 7" stretch, but they say that would require a fuel cell in the rear cargo area and a full comp cut.  Both are not what I want.  Right now, I am looking seriously at their "5 Inch Stretch Rear Upgrade Kit" which runs right at $1249.00.  I still need to talk options with them though as I want something that would be a whole package.  Upper and lower spring mounts, axle side lower control arm mounts, 4 link truss with upper mounts, frame side mounts, the control arms and shock mounts.  That is really what I need.  The kit above have all of that minus the lower control arms mounts and axle side coil spring mount.  It also comes with a few items I don't need like the frame notch kit for outboard shocks.  I don't really need it because since I am going to run full width axles, I will have the room for outboard shocks without notching the frame.  I want to see if they would do a package deal on something closer to my needs.

Once the weather breaks and the roads are clean I will go get the rear axle.  I found one for $100.00 about 40 minutes away.  Crappy weather has just kept me from going to get it.  Same thing with the tires.  Have them found and on hold for $300.00, just need to go get them.

So, for those following along this is what I'm looking at overall to date:

Front:
79 Ford HP60 Front Full Width
5.13 Gears w/ Timken Install Kit
Eaton E-Locker
TNT Truss w/ all mounts
Crossover Steering (Tie Rod on the knuckle/Drag Link Over the Knuckle)
Custom Track bar
Rusty's Radius Type Long Arms (Picked up on eBay super cheap)
Spicer U-Joints
Spicer Lock Outs
Stock Axle Shafts 35 spline inner/30 spline outer
New Seals
Probably my own custom creation of a modified/welded stock diff cover
Maybe a little shave/grinding for ground clearance???

Rear:
Corp 14 Bolt (New Style)
5.13 Gears w/ Timken Install Kit
Disc Brake Conversion
Detroit Locker

That is basically where the definite parts of the build end.

Everything else is still in the works and planning stages.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 10:19:29 PM by Bill3753 »

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2011, 04:16:42 AM »
So, went this weekend and picked up my new tires.  Somehow, the pictures I'm posting don't have them in it, but they are some cool pics.  I mainly just wanted to brag about eating at Geno's and Pat's in Philly.

Also, I was just about as lucky as you can get to find a spot in South Philly to park with a trailer, let alone being able to find a spot twice with one time being smack dab in front of Geno's.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 04:20:42 AM by Bill3753 »

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
Re: Front End Upgrade... Maybe (+ rear upgrade/lot of other stuff)
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2011, 05:59:18 AM »
Well, as of March 6, 2011 my TJ is officially off the road and my build has started.

Day one I took a few pictures of my starting point and pulled the Dana 44 rear axle.

14 Bolt with the tubes cleaned up for mock up.  I am going to tack everything in place on it under the Jeep at ride height.  After that, I will cycle the suspension to make sure nothing is binding following which I will weld it all solid.  To finish it off I'll clean the rest of the axle up and paint it all.  Finally I'll install the gears, locker, axles, and new disc brake kit prior to final installation.

Here are some pictures of the rear suspension prior to tearing into it:

I forgot to take some pictures of the end of the first day, but basically I got the rear axle out.  All the arms, sway bar, lines, gas tank ect. all remained.  These are pictures following my efforts tonight.  Everything is just about pulled and I'm almost ready to start cutting. (LOOK AT ALL THAT ROOM ABOVE THE TRANSFER CASE!!!)

« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 06:24:59 AM by Bill3753 »

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2011, 10:42:18 AM »
Nice progress man, cant wait to get my deployement over with so I can start my new project  ;D
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline Swagger

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2011, 04:22:18 PM »
[quote/]

The things I have not quite figured out yet is what to do for the steering.  I have a whole steering set up from an old fullsize Ford already.  I don’t know if I can take parts for it and make it work in my TJ?  I’m not sold on building a OTK steering set up as yet, but who knows.  Also, I need to figure out if the current location of my gas tank will clear the Sterling 10.25 Rear.  After I get it all in there, I will get the drive shafts made.  I already have a Super Short SYE and a few other parts I needed anyways.  I will install them as I do this build.  No point in doing it all then pulling it all apart again .

[/quote]

Dude, you have to cionsidr the backspacing of those H1 beadlocks hugging you steeering components. I'm consider damn near the same build up, but with an 8.8 and a HP44, and custom H1 beadlocks but with 3.5 inch backspacing and a 5 inch stretch. I guess its easier for me down here in texas though. No fender laws. i can run Comp corners and hi finders with no snuff from the fuzz. as far as yiour rig goes, you might want to consider a PSC Full Hydro set-up.  From what i have read and heard, they are surprisingly stereetable, and it sounds like you dont drive your rig on the street TOO often, so it might be a suitable set-up.  just my 2 lincolns.
FOR SALE:  2000 TJ with some stuff and uber low mileage.  $9500 obo. Come to Texas and buy my junk!!!

I like to smash things!!!!

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2011, 04:41:21 PM »
I probably should have updated that...

Wheels are now going to be some 16x10 Steels I ordered from a custom wheel shop to get the backspacing I wanted.

Tires are Toyo Open Country MT's in 38x14.5x16.

I plan to high line the fenders and keep the 7" Flares.  When I'm done, with the wheel backspacing I ordered, everything will clear the steering and make me about 9-10" wider then I am now.  My current set up is 100% covered by the flares and about 75" wide, so when I'm done I'll be sticking out of them by about 4-5" a side.  I'll probably build a removable mud flap like the ones Genright sells for it as well.

Offline Swagger

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2011, 09:06:32 PM »
ETA to job complete?   ;D ;D
FOR SALE:  2000 TJ with some stuff and uber low mileage.  $9500 obo. Come to Texas and buy my junk!!!

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2011, 09:34:11 PM »
Goal is to have it complete for the April 30th trail run.

It's a lot of work, but I'm confident at this point I can have it done by then.

Offline Swagger

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2011, 11:38:40 PM »
What lift Did you decide to run. The Clayton w/ 5" stretch. I'm looking to that one to but cant decide if i wanna run that one or the 7" stretch double triangulated system. Choices, choices...   :-\

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2011, 01:33:48 AM »
Thats a very rust free jeep noticing by the pics. You picked a good jeep to start this type of project on. Im looking forward to seeing this project done. Keep up the great pics of your progress. This thing is going to be a moster. You did say 37's before & now your going 38's. Now thats just going to be freakin awsum. Can't wait!!!
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts