Author Topic: Bill's 1 Ton TJ Build  (Read 42533 times)

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
Re: Front End Upgrade... Maybe
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2011, 08:03:13 PM »
I don't really see the point in that.  I made it tailored for my build in a way Clayton was unable to offer.  If I was going to sell it and buy something different I would have just bought the Poly Performance 4 link kit and built it all to my specs anyways.

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Synergy-Suspension-Jeep-TJ-LJ-Weld-On-4-Link-Rear-Kit-p-2072.html

I really like that it worked out this way.  I built it the way I wanted specific to my TJ with the lift height/axle/tire combo I am running while using their arms.  Not a bad combo in my mind at all.
04 TJ, HP60, 14 Bolt, 5.13's, linked, locked, on 38's and (still) in the works.

Offline Swagger

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2011, 01:04:42 AM »
Pics?
FOR SALE:  2000 TJ with some stuff and uber low mileage.  $9500 obo. Come to Texas and buy my junk!!!

I like to smash things!!!!

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2011, 05:50:03 AM »
The pictures are the ones I just posted, lol.  It doesn't look much different from the way Clayton sets them up, but I set it up with different angles and frame locations.  I was able to maximize the triangulation of the lower links this way.  Other factors on all changes were considered as well.

Here are some updates.  Finally was able to flex it out tonight.  Everything worked great with no binding or problems.  After testing it all out, I was able to weld about 60% of the brackets up.  I don't have any pictures of the welding as my camera battery died and I didn't have my spare charged.  Anyways, here ya go...

Yes, I put a jack stand on a jack to get it all the way to full compression...

First set are of it on the floor driver's side and full bump on passenger.  Last few are full droop on the floor both sides.  I also flexed it the oppisite way of the first few pictures and additionally with both sides at full bump.

Yes, I will definatly need limiting straps and bump stops, but I already was planning for them.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 02:57:54 PM by Bill3753 »

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2011, 03:35:28 PM »
is the 14bolt going to get a shave
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2011, 05:31:03 PM »
Yes.  The ring gear I have for it has been turned from 10.50" to 10.05".  This will allow me to cut the bottom of the case off and weld a flat plate to it.  This should save me 2", maybe a little more, of ground clearance at the differential housing.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 07:07:29 PM by Bill3753 »

Offline Swagger

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2011, 09:34:48 PM »
how many pennies to get the ring gear turned?
FOR SALE:  2000 TJ with some stuff and uber low mileage.  $9500 obo. Come to Texas and buy my junk!!!

I like to smash things!!!!

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2011, 09:45:36 PM »
I ordered it from East Coast Gear Supply already turned.  They stock them ready to ship in most of the common ratios.

If your looking to do something similar, give them a call and talk to Chase Perry.  He'll hook you up.  He gave me a military discount as well.

I ordered a bunch of other stuff from them as well.  Everything was priced great.  One item they shipped me was incorrect.  All I had to do was call and same day the right part was on its way to me no questions asked.  That is good service.  Lets be honest, everyone makes mistakes.  It just happens.  Its how people handle those mistakes that makes a good company.  I couldn't be happier with them.

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2011, 04:45:22 AM »
Tonight I got the axle and frame brackets fully welded.  Axle is just about ready to put back together now.  Just need to shave it as already discussed.

Next up is notching the frame and welding in the new upper spring buckets.  Not too much more to go and I can have the springs supporting the weight of the rear again.

No pictures for updates.  Didn't see much need as its just everything I've already shown but now fully welded.

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2011, 05:27:27 AM »
So, lots of progress has been made.  The rear suspension is essentially complete now.  Just a few more welds to complete.  Its setting on the springs again, so that is awsome!!!

Next up is pulling it all apart.  Then I'll shave the 14 bolt, put the internals of the it back together, and do the disc brake conversion.  Also need to set the rear shocks up as well.  After that its just prep and paint everything.

I'll still have a bunch of work to do in the rear half of the Jeep.  Fuel cell will need to go in and I'll still need to highline it as well.  Then figure out something for a rear tire carrier.  For now though it just feels good to have the springs supporting the weight of the Jeep again.

He are some updated pictures...

In the last one you can see the weight of the Jeep is off the jack stands that were on the frame and now being supported by the springs.

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2011, 01:26:36 AM »
I don't have any new pictures just yet, but the rear suspension is all but complete now.  By that, I mean everything is welded and the frame is fully plated to reinforce the areas that I cut away for the stretch.

The only this left for the rear is setting up the rear shocks.  I'm waiting to do that though until I get the front installed.  This will allow me to verify the ride height which is important when setting those shocks up.

So, today I just about stripped the entire HP60 front.  Tonight I should be able to finish that up.  Tomorrow I will pull the Dana 30 and with any luck start mocking in the HP60 front.

I'm still hoping to have it complete by the end of the month.  At this point, its really going to depend on when I get the parts I need in.

I'll get some updated pictures up tomorrow night.

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2011, 06:04:19 AM »
So, here are those pictures I promised.

Starting out, one of the rear frame work I did.  I didn't take very many pictures here, but its reinforced and boxed in a few areas with 1/4" plate steel then fully welded with multiple passes the final of which is a large weave to tie it all together

Now, the Dana HP60 front all cleaned off ready to go (well, kind of but we'll get to that here soon).

These are with the TNT truss system sitting on top to check for fit.

Here you can see I need to grind down the cast in leaf spring perch some.  Its not a big deal as TNT tells you it has to be done.  I just wanted to see about how much I'm looking to grind out.

Anyways, that is where I'm at with it.  All and all I'm thrilled with the progress I have been making.  The front axle cleaned up very well and should be ready for mock up tomorrow night.  Then, the rear suspension is more or less complete (aside from upper shock mounts).  Next up is the grinding I mentioned earlier followed by pulling the old Dana 30 front and all associated parts that go with it.  Once that is complete, I'll set the HP60 in place and start to check everything over and tack weld it all together.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 06:08:55 AM by Bill3753 »

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2011, 06:50:39 AM »
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2011, 06:05:55 AM »
I wondered if someone would comment on that, lol.  Its a hacked off old drive shaft chunk I had laying around.

More updates now.

Dana 30 front is pulled and stripped of the control arms and shocks.  The pictures below are to compair it with the HP60.

Then these are of the front of the Jeep without the Dana 30 there.  On a different note, these are some good shots of the skid I built last year.  I'm hoping it will clear the differental of the new axle.  I mocked it up tonight and it looks like it will, but you never really know until you flex it out.

These last few are nice.  In order to fit the TNT truss and lower control arm bracket, I ended up having to grind away a bunch of the cast on the driver's side.  I didn't go so far as to where it will weaken the axle, but I did want to weld the axle tubes because of it.  Here are the results of those welds.

I thought they came out great.  Tomorrow I'll weld the other side after I get my oxygen tank filled.  I should also be able to start tack welding the truss, crontol arm brackets, and frame brackets on.  I test fit everything tonight, so its basically ready to weld together.  More pictures to follow, but I should be able to cycle the front suspension tomorrow as well.

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2011, 07:15:27 AM »
Nothing new for pictures, but I did make some major progress tonight.  The Dana 60 is now in, truss installed with control arms bolted on and brackets welded to the frame.  Its all tack welded for now, but all the same its there and in place.  I also cycled the suspension and installed the front springs to check everything for clearance.  I'm happy to say it all looked great.  It is hard to cycle the suspension for now as there is no track bar keeping the axle from moving laterally under the Jeep, but I was able to check it all well enough to know I can weld it all solid tomorrow after the clean up and cruise day at Auto Zone.

After I get it all welded solid, I need to build some lower shock mounts.  Then, I will clean and paint the front axle.  Next, I'll install the locker and gears followed by installing the spindles, hubs, and brakes.  After that I can build the steering and track bar.

Doesn't sound like much, but its a lot of work.  Good thing is after that the front will be ready to go.

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2011, 05:53:25 AM »
Ok, so things are really starting to fall into place for this build.  The front is now fully welded; both frame brackets and truss.  I still need to finish grinding the old track bar bracket off the frame and weld the new bracket for the track bar on.  Once that is complete, the fab work for the suspension will essentially be complete (shocks need set up, but that is easy).

Tonight, I scored a 12 ton hydrualic press for cheap.  I'm very happy because I needed one to set my gears up for the front and rear.  This just makes things a lot easier on me.  This week will be a big push to get the axles finished up.  Plan is to finalize the suspension; shocks, steering, track bar and all.  Additionally, I should be able to get the front and rear lockers/gears installed.  After that, I'll be putting the tummy tucker skid in, new transmission mount, and SYE kit as well.  Somewhere in there I'll finish the brakes off and set them up as well.  Obviously, going along with all of this will be a fresh coat of paint.

The basic idea is to have the suspension ready to run with the only item missing from the driveline being the rear drive shaft by the end of the day Sunday.  This will leave me with the begining of the following week to highline the body, install the new tire carrier, and finish it off by installing the fuel cell and lines.  If that all goes smoothly, I'll have it on a trail somewhere a few days before the next club trail ride to test it all out.  Everything goes right there and I'll be able to meet everyone, camera in tow, at the end of the month.