Author Topic: Ford 8.8 axle swap  (Read 28895 times)

Offline reg

• Trail Master
Re: Ford 8.8 axle swap
« Reply #135 on: February 08, 2008, 04:38:02 AM »
Sweet, that's even better than 4 section!

Cool, Reg, I'll pm Jon and see what he says.  What time will you be free tomorrow?  I should get out at 1300, but then I have to be headed to Misty's ultrasound by 1350.  After that, I'm not free again until after 1800  :-\.

i won't know until tomarrow.  I'll call when i am headed home.

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #136 on: February 08, 2008, 03:58:20 PM »
Just reposting this here since the thread added another page and I want to make sure people are able to see it.

Sorry for the last minute post...  Tomorrow night around 1800, Scott and Alex, and possibly Rich, are coming over to help me begin the axle swap.  We are going to be tacking the brackets in place.  If it's feasable, I would like to try and at least get the D35 out from under the jeep.  If someone wouldn't mind letting me borrow a couple of large jack stands or if anyone has some extra wood laying around, I could pick it up after 1300 tomorrow.  If I can do anything else after tomorrow night, it will be Sunday.  But I'll have to talk more with Scott before I can post anything up about it. 

Anyway, all are welcome and I think we are planning on making it a late night depending on how things go.  Yes, I know this is bad timing because of the run Saturday, but like I said before, if I don't get the jeep to ctaxle before the end of Feb, I'm screwed until late March.  That's just too damn long without Big Yeller.  I'm already going through withdrawls!  I can only take so much driving of the Suburban Assault Vehicle.  So, I have to make progress whenever and where ever I can.  Pm me for directions if you need them.
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline CnoteTJ

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
    • Facebook
« Reply #137 on: February 08, 2008, 04:26:06 PM »
if you need another hand, let me know, my GF will be babysitting for a friend :-\  not my choice on how to spend a friday night
2011 Black Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4" FT Long Arm w/ CRC link and 35" MTR/K's
Some armor and performance goodies!

www.northridge4x4.com    www.offroadevolution.com   www.full-traction.com

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #138 on: February 08, 2008, 08:07:54 PM »
go for it.

you need my high lift?

i have wood also just incase anyone was wondering. you DID ask justin.....

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #139 on: February 09, 2008, 02:51:29 PM »
go for it.

you need my high lift?

i have wood also just incase anyone was wondering. you DID ask justin.....

Yes, Hot-Rod, I did ask about your wood.  ::)

Thanks for the help last night from Scott, Alex, and Rich.  We got all of the bracket's tacked onto the axle and it looks great!  Only problem is that the UCA truss needs to be shifted to the rear to match the 16 degree pinion angle.  It should have been set with the pinion angle at zero and the truss at zero.  Oops.  I'll grind it off today and maybe I can get help tomorrow to tack it back on.  Then, I can proceed with the test fit.  Alex and I already pulled the D35 out, and we figured out an easy way to do the test fit.  I just have to refit that truss.  Anyway, once Scott get's back from travel next week, he'll finish the beads and make everything solid.

So if anyone wants to help tomorrow, preferably a welder  ::), just let me know.  If no one has the time, it's cool.  Scott and I can finish it when he gets back.  Oh yeah, parts are going up in the Trading Post.

I win!

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #140 on: February 09, 2008, 03:01:08 PM »
Only problem is that the UCA truss needs to be shifted to the rear to match the 16 degree pinion angle.  It should have been set with the pinion angle at zero and the truss at zero.  Oops.

I'm not sure I understand, but if you're saying what I think you're saying, wouldn't it be stronger the way you have it (I'm picturing that it is currently setup perpendicular to the ground?) than if you clock it at an angle (perpendicular to the pinion?) and shouldn't it not matter if you have adjustable control arms?
1988 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 4.0, TF-999, NP-231, Dana 30 Truetrac, Dana 44 Detroit Locker, 4.88s, on 35"s

Offline Doball

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #141 on: February 09, 2008, 03:21:17 PM »
I think I agree with Al. If that's the truss that your upper CA's attach to then I believe it should be perpendicular to the ground/frame not the pinion. If you rotate it back 16deg then your upper CA's won't reach. If you do have enough to adjust them out 2-4 inches I'm, guessing that they will be past (aft of) the center point of the axle tube, Then I really wonder about how that will affect the safe handling of your rig on the road, and the proper operation of the entire rear suspension under extreme flex.

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #142 on: February 09, 2008, 04:19:53 PM »
No, I had it wrong last night.  The instructions say (and show a picture  ::) ) to weld the cradle perpendicular to the pinion.  That way, the cradle is at the 16 degree angle with the pinion.  When Alex and I tried to do the test fit last night, the uca's were way too long, and definitly not adjustable to shorten them.  Trust me, once you see it, it'll make more sense. 

I win!

RUSKIE

« Reply #143 on: February 09, 2008, 04:48:13 PM »
Are you doing the axle job at the hobby shop?  I'm stuck on-or-near base this weekend anyway (duty) so I might drop by and get in your way - I mean, uh, help out.

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #144 on: February 09, 2008, 07:00:54 PM »
No, it's at my place.  I'll send you a pm for directions.  I'm not really messing with the axle today, unless you know how to weld.  And in that case, come on over!  Tomorrow is when I am planning on repositioning the truss and doing another test fit.  That's if there is anyone available to help.  Today, I already knocked off the truss and cleaned up the axle, and this afternoon I'm going to work on my sliders some more.

I win!

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #145 on: February 10, 2008, 04:57:41 PM »
Stupid rain!  >:(

I win!

Offline One-Eye

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • JT4x4
« Reply #146 on: February 10, 2008, 05:15:01 PM »
I am doing wedding stuff today.  :( Maybe next time I can help.
JT4x4 Founding Member

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #147 on: February 10, 2008, 06:26:03 PM »
It's no big deal.  It's Sunday and I know people are probably recouping from yesterday  ;D.  Those sliders are keeping me busy anyhow.  I misaligned the drivers side slider, so now I get to drill new holes.  :-\  Oops.

I win!

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #148 on: February 11, 2008, 02:36:20 AM »
Got the sliders on today.  Scott came by tonight and tacked on the uca cradle.  Now I'm ready for another test fit.  As long as the test fit goes well, Scott should be doing the final burning next weekend.

I win!

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #149 on: February 11, 2008, 04:04:33 AM »
cool. glad to hear that everything is getting put together rather quickly.