Author Topic: Ford 8.8 axle swap  (Read 28671 times)

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
Ford 8.8 axle swap
« on: January 12, 2008, 05:49:24 PM »
Anyone think they might have a few minutes this afternoon or evening to come over and help me get the axle off of the trailer and onto the jack stands?  I would greatly appreciate it.  We are about to leave and go pick it up!  I'll post pics when we get home.
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline Doball

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
Re: Ford 8.8 axle swap
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 06:12:22 PM »
Call me when you're ready.

Offline Cheek-Bone

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 08:36:14 PM »
call me. I'll pm you my #.
JT4X4 Founding Member

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 09:52:24 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen.  I give you Axle's axle!  ;D

Thanks in advance to Mike and Brian who are on their way over to help unload it.  As well as Jeremy for the use of the trailer.

I win!

Offline Cheek-Bone

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 11:46:13 PM »
I can't wait to see it in your rig.

Calling all dana 35ers, get his axle shafts while you can for trail spare and if you think you dont need them then ask him to tell you a good wheeling story.
JT4X4 Founding Member

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 11:50:11 PM »
people with 35s shouldn't need trail spares, because they shouldn't be on the trail in the first place.

:)
1988 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 4.0, TF-999, NP-231, Dana 30 Truetrac, Dana 44 Detroit Locker, 4.88s, on 35"s

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 12:03:22 AM »
in all seriousness though, I know a guy who is running, 37"s on his Dana 35 with chromoly shafts and is no stranger to extreme wheeling
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 12:06:00 AM by albsvx »
1988 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 4.0, TF-999, NP-231, Dana 30 Truetrac, Dana 44 Detroit Locker, 4.88s, on 35"s

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 12:16:14 AM »
I'm planning on going to 37's next year, but only if I can get chromoly's front and rear.  That's why I'm going with 4.88's instead of 4.56's.  So here is my plan of attack:

Phase 1:  break down and strip the 8.8.

Phase 2:  remove the d35 from big yeller and strip needed parts.

Phase 3:  weld brackets to the 8.8, and route brake system.

Phase 4:  bolt the 8.8 in under the TJ and take her to CTjeep for regearing.

Phase 5:  return one day to OFR and get revenge.  ;D

I win!

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 03:30:26 AM »
Ok, so tonight I got about half of phase 1 done.  I pulled the calipers, rotors, hard brake line, carrier pin, shafts, and the dust shields/shoe brakes.

Found out that the 8.8 is not only disk brake, but it has shoes on the inside of the rotors  ??? .  They were easy to remove, though.  4 bolts on the ends of the hubs and the whole assembly comes off.

I tried doing a little grinding, but it is late and I don't want to make too much noise.  That, and I really need a 3m mask because of all the surface rust. 

How many of you guys can say you got to work on your new project on your anniversary!  And your wife WASN'T mad at you!?  That's right, boys, I said wasn't!  Just a reminder to me of how awesome my wife is.  Honestly, I never would have thought she'd be so supportive of this hobby, but she definitly proved me wrong!  ;)

I win!

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 03:35:09 AM »
is it possible the shoes were from the parking brake?
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 03:38:42 AM »
Probably.

I win!

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 03:59:23 AM »
congrats. did you get pictures of each step.

Offline Doball

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 06:21:09 AM »
I haven't heard of disc brakes that didn't have pads on both sides of the rotor.

Offline Cheek-Bone

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 01:27:31 PM »
Ok, so tonight I got about half of phase 1 done.  I pulled the calipers, rotors, hard brake line, carrier pin, shafts, and the dust shields/shoe brakes.

Found out that the 8.8 is not only disk brake, but it has shoes on the inside of the rotors  ???I would have to see what you are talking about but disc brakes have pads on both sides of the rotors. They were easy to remove, though.  4 bolts on the ends of the hubs and the whole assembly comes off.

I tried doing a little grinding, but it is late and I don't want to make too much noise.  That, and I really need a 3m mask because of all the surface rust. Wrap an old white t-shirt around your face and go to town.

How many of you guys can say you got to work on your new project on your anniversary!  And your wife WASN'T mad at you!?  That's right, boys, I said wasn't!  Just a reminder to me of how awesome my wife is.  Honestly, I never would have thought she'd be so supportive of this hobby, but she definitly proved me wrong!  ;)Give it time brother all of our wives were supportive when it was still just a hobby, it's when it became part of our lifestyle that the support slowly starts to go away.
JT4X4 Founding Member

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 02:30:30 PM »
About the pads, I'm not talking about pads on both sides of the rotors.  There is a drum system on the inside of the rotor where it attaches to the wheel studs.  I think Jeremy is right, though, it's probably for the parking brake.  I thought about taking pics of what I have done so far, but I am going to wait until after I finish stripping the old brackets off.

I win!