Author Topic: Death wiggle.....i think..  (Read 3594 times)

Offline CaptORM

• Rock Crawler
    • JT 4X4
Re: Death wiggle.....i think..
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 01:43:43 PM »
Be careful new stabilizers dont fix the problem they only apply more pressure to make it go away.  As those stabilizers wear out the problem will come back.  May not be for a while but the death wobble is not caused by steering stabilizers.

Glad you can drive the rig normal again though.  Be careful on bumpy sections of highway though.  You may get another dose at high speeds despite the stabilizers.
I do cheeks for free just ask...

l  
 l _[==]__o___o
 l//_|__l__l,\___\,___
 l_--\__\__l_/---\_[] llll [)
  (o)_)        (o)_)--o)_)

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee
6.5" lift, 33's

Offline McNastyNate

• Trail Passenger
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 04:38:20 AM »
yeah i did get the extensions put on a couple weekends ago. it was pretty much cake except for one of the bleeder fittings didn't want to thread out for some reason so it took a little bit of love, but they're on and no problems so far.

also, if the death wobble isn't due to a shitty steering stabilizer then how the hell do you fix it for good.....? the only other thing i can think of is a front end alignment but i just had one done so i can't see that being a permanent fix.....just wondering, ya know...

Offline mallcrawl

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 05:23:52 AM »
if the death wobble isn't due to a shitty steering stabilizer then how the hell do you fix it for good.....? the only other thing i can think of is a front end alignment but i just had one done so i can't see that being a permanent fix.....just wondering, ya know...

check everything up front for play, whatever is moving in a direction it shouldn't is the cause of your wobble most common is the track bar bushing

Offline CaptORM

• Rock Crawler
    • JT 4X4
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 01:36:16 PM »
Yup you have the death wiggle.  Careful cause it will break your control arm brackets off.  I had it really bad and have done alot of research on it.  Cherokees are known for having problems with the death wobble.  First things first. 

Do you have an adjustable track bar?  If so make sure it is A) tight.  real tight. not just the bolts but the adjustment also  B) make sure you check the adjustment with the vehicle on the ground.  Not on a lift. 

Next,  Check your alignment.  Pick a reference point on your tires, like a lug or sidewall.  Then measure the distance between your front tires using that reference point.  You need to measure the front of the tires then the back to see the difference.  This is your alignment.  If the difference is more then .5" then you need an alingment.

Next,  Make sure your tire pressures are even.  One front tire at 30 and the other at 35 can increase the chances of the wobble.

Next,  Check your tie rod ends.  If they have alot of play its time to replace them.  If not then dont worry about them.  They are not causing the problem.

Next,  Spend some money on a good steering stabilizer.  The problem with stabilizers is they dont actually cause or eliminate the problem just add a little more force to the issue to keep it from happening.  That is until the shock starts going bad.  Which by the way will be much sooner then it should. 

Any questions just ask.

Refer to this one for fixes.
I do cheeks for free just ask...

l  
 l _[==]__o___o
 l//_|__l__l,\___\,___
 l_--\__\__l_/---\_[] llll [)
  (o)_)        (o)_)--o)_)

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee
6.5" lift, 33's

Offline Gastank

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
  • HORSEPOWER: A TIRE BURNING GOOD TIME!
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2008, 08:59:31 AM »
if the death wobble isn't due to a shitty steering stabilizer then how the hell do you fix it for good.....? the only other thing i can think of is a front end alignment but i just had one done so i can't see that being a permanent fix.....just wondering, ya know...

check everything up front for play, whatever is moving in a direction it shouldn't is the cause of your wobble most common is the track bar bushing

Assuming you have a jeep. they are notorius for death wiggle/wobble, once lifted. It has alot to do with the caster angle up front. by rotating the pinion angle up the caster angle is totally out of wack also the tie rod is no longer level with the ground... It's the whole steering/suspension geometry. The only way to cure it for good is to cut the inner C knuckle at each end of the axle and rotate it to the proper angle. However, it is not advisable to do this without having the axle completely disassembled, and secure (Home made jig will work just fine.)... THIS SHOULD NOT BE DONE BY ANYONE THAT IS NOT EXPERINCED WELDER, OR HAVE A VERY(!!!) SOLID GRASP ON SUSPENSION GEOMETRY AND DESIGN. That was my word of caution.

Hope it helped.
91 YJ, 350cid/TH400/231 4.5 RE springs, 2" Bonz shackles, 33/12.5/15 MT baja claws, and lock-rite in the rear.
"But it is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation." - Herman Melville