Author Topic: Ford 8.8 axle swap  (Read 28894 times)

Offline mallcrawl

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: Ford 8.8 axle swap
« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2008, 06:34:33 PM »
Thanks for the help, guys.  I found a set of alloy usa chromoly's online for $475 and free shipping.  They're normally almost $600 everywhere else.  So, after I put the new t-case yoke on and I can get a measurement, then I'll call Carolina and order my new driveshaft.
thats awesome
where the monkey?

Offline reg

• Trail Master
« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2008, 10:30:32 PM »

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2008, 11:58:06 PM »
New problem...  I got my new weld on cradle from Rock Krawler today and did a test fit.  The breather tube and brake line holder are in the way on either side.  The brake line holder won't be an issue, I can just cut that off.  The breather tube on the other hand...  It talks about this problem in the write up, but it wasn't because of a cradle, but the sway bar bracket or something.  It's going to be tough filling the tube with weld and then cutting it off.  Fill it too much, and you invade the axle shaft area.  Don't fill it enough, and you have a hole in the axle.   ???

I might be able to cut an area out of the cradle to be able to leave the fitting there and get a hose to it.  Either way it's going to be a pain!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 12:11:47 AM by Axle »
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2008, 12:24:41 AM »
New problem...  I got my new weld on cradle from Rock Krawler today and did a test fit.  The breather tube and brake line holder are in the way on either side.  The brake line holder won't be an issue, I can just cut that off.  The breather tube on the other hand...  It talks about this problem in the write up, but it wasn't because of a cradle, but the sway bar bracket or something.  It's going to be tough filling the tube with weld and then cutting it off.  Fill it too much, and you invade the axle shaft area.  Don't fill it enough, and you have a hole in the axle.   ???

I might be able to cut an area out of the cradle to be able to leave the fitting there and get a hose to it.  Either way it's going to be a pain!

Is this cradle you speak of another term for axle truss??? How about a picture?

We'll figure it out. I can fill a hole with weld, that's no problem. I would think notching your cradle would be a better option though...Leave the axle tube alone... Just my .02

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2008, 01:09:12 AM »
I'm at work right now, I'll take a pic when I get home so everyone can see it.  I'll say this, it's friggin beefy!  It's got to be thicker than 1/4" steel.  I agree that cutting would be the best option, and not moving the breather tube.  But I need something other than a 4 1/2" cutting wheel to do it.  A cutting torch or plasma cutter would be really nice right about now.  If anyone has a hook up on something like that, I would greatly appreciate it if I could use it.

I win!

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2008, 01:18:46 AM »
if it's something where you can get away with like a simple v-notch, just use a sawzall
1988 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 4.0, TF-999, NP-231, Dana 30 Truetrac, Dana 44 Detroit Locker, 4.88s, on 35"s

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2008, 03:51:28 AM »
Oh, I almost forgot!  Give me a few minutes and I'll post a pic of the new cradle.

Here's the cradle and the problem...

Obviously, if that is where the cradle was actually going to sit, there really wouldn't be an issue.  Since it is going to have to move forward when I set the pinion angle, something has to give.  I'm thinking about trying to cut an opening back there by the circle.  That's some heavy duty steel, so I'm really not that worried about messing up the integrity too much.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 04:17:16 AM by Axle »

I win!

Offline Cheek-Bone

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2008, 11:02:36 AM »
I agree with Scott leave the tube alone and just notch out by the hole for the breather tube.
JT4X4 Founding Member

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2008, 02:50:11 PM »
damn red x's.  i hate  photo bucket
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2008, 02:56:01 PM »
Oh, I almost forgot!  Give me a few minutes and I'll post a pic of the new cradle.

Here's the cradle and the problem...

Obviously, if that is where the cradle was actually going to sit, there really wouldn't be an issue.  Since it is going to have to move forward when I set the pinion angle, something has to give.  I'm thinking about trying to cut an opening back there by the circle.  That's some heavy duty steel, so I'm really not that worried about messing up the integrity too much.

If you can cut it out neat enough, I can weld it back in somewhere near the notch, just in a different position or angle to put back some strength.

Offline reg

• Trail Master
« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2008, 08:43:55 PM »
is it level in the pic, or is it angled up.  is there a possibility that when you set the pinion angle that the breather will be behind the truss??

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2008, 02:21:17 AM »
I'm pretty sure the tube will be right in the way.  The cradle was angled a little back to fit over the tube when I took the picture.  It will have to be angled forward when I set the pinion angle.  I think Scott has the right idea.

I win!

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2008, 03:54:36 AM »
why not tap a new breather tube it would be quicker. that way you can run an breather extension for mud.

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #103 on: February 05, 2008, 02:21:50 AM »
Got my lockers, 8.8 diff cover, and the dana 30 gears today.  Now if I can just get those damn brackets!  ::)

I win!

Offline reg

• Trail Master
« Reply #104 on: February 05, 2008, 02:48:52 AM »

SHOW ME THE BRACKETS!!!