Author Topic: Ford 8.8 axle swap  (Read 28892 times)

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
Re: Ford 8.8 axle swap
« Reply #150 on: February 12, 2008, 10:19:55 PM »
Anyone have some free time tonight to help me do a test fit?  Yeah, the weather won't be the greatest, but that doesn't bother me if it doesn't bother who ever wants to help!  ;)
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline One-Eye

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • JT4x4
« Reply #151 on: February 12, 2008, 10:27:57 PM »
Let me see what the woman has going on.  I think she is gone for the night so I will repost again in about 30 minutes.
JT4x4 Founding Member

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #152 on: February 12, 2008, 10:29:11 PM »
One-eye, you have been pm'd.  8)

I win!

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #153 on: February 13, 2008, 03:01:42 AM »
The test fit went great!  After everything was finally set in place, I raised the axle to normal (or as close as I could) ride height and checked the pinion angle.  It was about 17.5.  I also checked the driveshaft and I'm glad JB Conversions is sending me the shorter yoke.  The driveshaft didn't have much compression left.  I think after everything is bolted back together, I might have to adjust the upper control arms to increase the pinion angle just a bit, because 17.5 just didn't look quite good enough.  In this case, low is good, because I can lengthen the control arms to increase the angle.  So, burn baby burn!!!  Hopefully Sunday Scott will be able to do the final burn and then she'll get bolted under the jeep. 

Axle swap this Sunday!  ;D

I win!

Offline mallcrawl

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #154 on: February 13, 2008, 03:08:12 AM »
sexy

Offline One-Eye

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • JT4x4
« Reply #155 on: February 13, 2008, 03:29:44 AM »
Hey, just make sure when you adjust them there control arms make sure that you tighten them all the way down.  You don't want one of them breaking on you while you are on the highway do ya?  Wait a second........divert you eyes to the avatar...........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JT4x4 Founding Member

Offline reg

• Trail Master
« Reply #156 on: February 13, 2008, 03:57:49 AM »

stupid duty  :'(

Offline Kral4me

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #157 on: February 13, 2008, 03:58:52 PM »
Hopefully Sunday Scott will be able to do the final burn and then she'll get bolted under the jeep. 

Ok. How long will the burn take? Because I have to give honest warning here: I was out of town all last week for a funeral. Got into town at 9 pm Sunday (and even loaned Scott out as soon as I got back in town, and right then for a fast burn run at your house Axle before we even went home  :-* lol), and took Scott to the airport himself at 0600 Monday morning so he can fly out to CA for work.

He doesn't come in until this Saturday at 2100, which means we won't be getting home until late soooooo....if it is a quick burn, I will "encourage" him if he feels up to doing it. Probably won't be until the afternoon though?

*grins* If you are talking a few hours....you are gonna have to wait, as much as that sucks, and as hard as that is. I am having withdrawls, and want my hubby to myself for a few hours of catching up. 2 weeks apart feels like forever lol. I have gotten spoiled with him being on shore duty. He IS missing Valentine's Day after all.  ;)

I'll message him and get his take on it...

Will that work?
~J.D.~
"When life gets too hard to stand....crawl."

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #158 on: February 13, 2008, 06:09:04 PM »
Well, if he just wants to do the welding, then that should take less than an hour.  Everything else will take all day...  Painting, routing the brake system, installing everything, and finally bolting the axle under the jeep.  The only parts I need help with is the welding and getting the axle under the jeep.  I can do everything else myself.  If he can't make it, I understand, but I really need to get this done this weekend so I can get the jeep to ctaxle as soon as I get the Super 88 kit, or I'm out of my jeep until the end of March.  I am hoping Scott will be able to make it, because he was really excited to do the work, but if he can't make it, then I'll have to try and find someone else to do it.  If I wasn't on a schedule, then I would say no prob.  I just don't want Scott to get upset if I ask someone else to finish the welding.

I win!

Offline One-Eye

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • JT4x4
« Reply #159 on: February 13, 2008, 07:22:28 PM »
Hey Axle, if all else fails talk to Alex at the hobby shop.  The last I heard he had no problem lending the welder for use.  Give him a call.
JT4x4 Founding Member

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #160 on: February 13, 2008, 07:33:14 PM »
he might weld stuff for you.

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #161 on: February 13, 2008, 07:42:56 PM »
Yeah, I know.  I still have Scott's welder and he has allowed me to use it.  I'll talk to Alex, but I know Scott would like to finish the job if he can.

I win!

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #162 on: February 13, 2008, 09:55:42 PM »
i hear you. ownership and all. just putting it out there.

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
« Reply #163 on: February 14, 2008, 01:25:06 AM »
Axle,
 I'll finish up the welding Sunday for you. It won't take but maybe 2 hours at most. I planned on taking the girls to go bowling or something later in the afternoon so when I get up Sunday, I'll call you and we'll figure out a time. I'm thinking noonish though...

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #164 on: February 14, 2008, 01:52:15 AM »
Axle,
 I'll finish up the welding Sunday for you. It won't take but maybe 2 hours at most. I planned on taking the girls to go bowling or something later in the afternoon so when I get up Sunday, I'll call you and we'll figure out a time. I'm thinking noonish though...

Awesome!  Noonish sounds good, I've got the mid watch Saturday night, so I can get a little sleep in the morning before we start.  Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

Edit:  How much does one of those tanks cost?  I'm pretty sure even refilling the one you have won't be enough to cover everything, so tomorrow I may look into getting another bottle.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 03:21:40 AM by Axle »

I win!