Author Topic: Ford 8.8 axle swap  (Read 28729 times)

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
Re: Ford 8.8 axle swap
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2008, 12:04:39 AM »
Not until I get my tax return back, so I can order all of the parts.  January 22nd!!!  I'll be doing them online that day, but it will be a week or so before I get the money.  Man, it just can't get here fast enough!  ;D
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2008, 12:19:49 AM »
yeah, i think that ease of new brackets might be worth all the head ache of cleaning them up and filling in holes from miss cutting.

dunno.

7 blades wow

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2008, 03:33:39 AM »
Here's a before pic with all of the attachments, brackets, and cables.

Here's two after's with everything removed.

Now I need to grind and sand it.  Then I'll throw on a light coat of primer until it's time for welding.

I win!

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2008, 03:34:58 AM »
sure is purty!
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2008, 03:37:23 AM »
My poor garage isn't, anymore.  :'( 

I win!

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2008, 03:37:59 AM »
I know Scott's welder is plenty to do the welds, but it's going to need gas for the shielding to make the beads strong enough.  Could someone please post a link to a place where I can get the proper gas?  I'd appreciate it.

Justin,
 I found out where I can get a bottle of gas. Don't sweat over that. When do you think you're going to be ready for putting brackets on? I'm guessing somewhere right around the first of Feb right?

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2008, 03:48:10 AM »
I know Scott's welder is plenty to do the welds, but it's going to need gas for the shielding to make the beads strong enough.  Could someone please post a link to a place where I can get the proper gas?  I'd appreciate it.

Justin,
 I found out where I can get a bottle of gas. Don't sweat over that. When do you think you're going to be ready for putting brackets on? I'm guessing somewhere right around the first of Feb right?

Yup.  As soon as I get my tax money, I'll be parting with it  :'( .  I still haven't decided what I'm doing about the brackets yet, but I'm leaning towards ordering the new ones.  I'll have to get with Cheeks on that one.  Or, if someone knows someone with a plasma cutter, that would help a lot.  As far as your supplies go, I would like to pay for what I use.  I'm no welder (obviously), but I'm pretty sure these welds are going to take a lot of wire and gas.  When we get closer to game day, we should get together to get the supplies.

I win!

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2008, 03:52:40 AM »
It really shouldn't take that much. A roll of wire is like $10 and a bottle of gas is $34 so it isn't expensive. In fact I bet we'll barely use half of that for the whole job. We'd have plenty to weld the rest of your control arms...LOL

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2008, 03:56:19 AM »
I know what I said earlier about your welder being enough, but given my lack of knowledge on the matter, are you sure your welder is big enough for a job this serious?  A control arm break was bad enough, I really don't want something as catastrophic as the bracket snapping off.

I win!

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2008, 04:01:24 AM »
the part I really want to know is ... once you get this new axle in, are you gonna wheel it like you stole it?

:)
1988 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 4.0, TF-999, NP-231, Dana 30 Truetrac, Dana 44 Detroit Locker, 4.88s, on 35"s

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2008, 04:08:32 AM »
I know what I said earlier about your welder being enough, but given my lack of knowledge on the matter, are you sure your welder is big enough for a job this serious?  A control arm break was bad enough, I really don't want something as catastrophic as the bracket snapping off.

The rating on the welder is more than enough. I can burn through 5/16" steel with it. I'm betting your brackets are probably less than 1/4". It will be fine. And the gas only makes the weld look prettier, not stronger. It basically blows the impurities out of the way of the molten metal so it flows nice and flat instead of spattering. I'm going with 75% Argon/ 25% CO2 for the shielding gas too, nicer than just CO2. In the end, I'm sure you will be happy with it. Just make sure you have all the math figured out right because once its welded, its there. I don't want to try to get them off if it wrong. Measure 5 times, burn once...or something like that...LOL

Offline reg

• Trail Master
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2008, 04:11:24 AM »
you still need to borrow a grinder?  I'll throwit in my jeep and when you get off work come down to where i work and I'll get them to you.  x-3318 if you forgot where that is.  I have the duties tomarrow   >:(

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2008, 04:13:57 AM »
you still need to borrow a grinder?  I'll throwit in my jeep and when you get off work come down to where i work and I'll get them to you.  x-3318 if you forgot where that is.  I have the duties tomarrow   >:(

Thanks anyway Reg, but I bought a grinder and a few wheels to go with my welder... You stand duty an awful lot...

Offline reg

• Trail Master
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2008, 04:15:14 AM »
kinda looking forward to the boat... less duty.

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2008, 05:14:50 AM »
poor reg (sniff)

the part I really want to know is ... once you get this new axle in, are you gonna wheel it like you stole it?

:)
notice he didnt answer the question?