Author Topic: Ford 8.8 axle swap  (Read 28735 times)

Offline Cheek-Bone

• Mudd Hog
Re: Ford 8.8 axle swap
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 02:34:43 PM »
If this is what you are talking about then yes it is for the e-brake.

JT4X4 Founding Member

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2008, 02:45:37 PM »
Yup, that's it.  I'm going to have to replace all of the pads, both the shoes and the rotor pads.  I'm also going to have to clean up the rotors, they are pretty rusted from sitting so long.  It's just surface stuff, but I don't want to throw on new pads and use them to strip the rust when I brake.  I don't know, I'm just picky like that.
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2008, 02:52:03 PM »
Dos Axle,
 Have you attempted to salvage a bracket off the 8.8 yet to see how feasible it will be taking them off your D35??? Just curious...

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2008, 02:58:59 PM »
Well, I will attempt some more cutting today, but I didn't really get into it last night because of noise.  Cheeks has a dremel tool I can borrow for more accurate and smaller cutting.  The 8.8 brackets aren't getting any TLC.  They're just getting chopped and ground down.  If I can't reuse my d35 brackets, I already have a backup plan.  I just won't be able to do anything about it until tax return.  That's why it's going to be a while before I take the d35 out from under big yeller.  I'm going to wait until closer to tax return so I'm not out of my rig for an extended period.

I win!

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2008, 03:37:41 PM »
are the new brackets really that expensive?

personally I wouldn't waste any time trying to reuse the existing brackets.  also, if you don't, it will make the actual swap and vehicle downtime much less.
1988 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 4.0, TF-999, NP-231, Dana 30 Truetrac, Dana 44 Detroit Locker, 4.88s, on 35"s

Offline Cheek-Bone

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2008, 03:41:16 PM »
are the new brackets really that expensive?

personally I wouldn't waste any time trying to reuse the existing brackets.  also, if you don't, it will make the actual swap and vehicle downtime much less.

He said it would be like $300 for everything. I would at least try to reuse them for that price.
JT4X4 Founding Member

Offline reg

• Trail Master
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2008, 03:49:42 PM »
the shoes are for the e-brake/parking brake.  commonly refered to as a "mini-drum"

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2008, 03:52:08 PM »
pa-rum-pum-pum-pum
1988 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 4.0, TF-999, NP-231, Dana 30 Truetrac, Dana 44 Detroit Locker, 4.88s, on 35"s

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2008, 05:49:51 PM »
Yes, if I have to buy new brackets, I am going with the ones from M.O.R.E. which are $300 plus shipping.  They are made specifically for the 8.8.  Although, since I don't need the brackets for the track bar or sway bar, I will call them first and try to negotiate a smaller price for not purchasing a full kit.  On top of those brackets, I still need to order the weld on third member bracket from Rock Krawler for my upper control arms.  That is another hundo plus shipping.

I win!

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2008, 03:15:27 PM »
hundo?

just kidding. i like it you should add it to the rich'n thread. lol

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2008, 07:18:28 PM »
Well, I finished cutting all of the brackets off this morning.  I'm a little concerned about the fact that I put some scars in the tubing, but I don't think it will be an issue.  Now I have to ground down the left overs, sand it, and throw some primer on it until I'm ready to weld.  I have a strong feeling that I'm just going to order new brackets.  I used 7 wheels to cut through the stuff, and it looks terrible.  I'll probably spend more time trying to clean everything up than I did cutting off the brackets.  I'll post a pic when I get home today. 

Those welds were super top quality, which is what I'm going to need when I put on those brackets.  I know Scott's welder is plenty to do the welds, but it's going to need gas for the shielding to make the beads strong enough.  Could someone please post a link to a place where I can get the proper gas?  I'd appreciate it.

I win!

Offline CnoteTJ

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2008, 08:03:14 PM »
http://www.abcodelivers.com/site/page48.cfm   <--Try them for the gas.  Their customer service is great, I use em to fill my powertank.  If you need help let me know.
2011 Black Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4" FT Long Arm w/ CRC link and 35" MTR/K's
Some armor and performance goodies!

www.northridge4x4.com    www.offroadevolution.com   www.full-traction.com

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2008, 08:13:33 PM »
Thanks!

I win!

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2008, 09:36:17 PM »
Well, I finished cutting all of the brackets off this morning.  I'm a little concerned about the fact that I put some scars in the tubing, but I don't think it will be an issue.  Now I have to ground down the left overs, sand it, and throw some primer on it until I'm ready to weld.  I have a strong feeling that I'm just going to order new brackets.  I used 7 wheels to cut through the stuff, and it looks terrible.  I'll probably spend more time trying to clean everything up than I did cutting off the brackets.  I'll post a pic when I get home today. 

Those welds were super top quality, which is what I'm going to need when I put on those brackets.  I know Scott's welder is plenty to do the welds, but it's going to need gas for the shielding to make the beads strong enough.  Could someone please post a link to a place where I can get the proper gas?  I'd appreciate it.

I am looking at getting a bottle of gas for my welder too, Justin. Not sure how it works though, if I just show up and buy a 5lb. bottle or if I need to bring my own bottle for them to fill. Anybody know?? If I need to buy my own, I have found them on ebay for cheap. And they are certified for 10 years because they are new. Might be the best way to go...When are you looking to start getting some welding done?

Offline CnoteTJ

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2008, 09:46:22 PM »
I think they do rental, trade ins and filling, i dont know which route would be the cheapest.
2011 Black Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4" FT Long Arm w/ CRC link and 35" MTR/K's
Some armor and performance goodies!

www.northridge4x4.com    www.offroadevolution.com   www.full-traction.com