Author Topic: new camera??  (Read 8051 times)

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
new camera??
« on: January 01, 2008, 10:02:24 PM »
I know some of you have pretty nice (or fricken awesom) cameras.  Mine is currently suffering a software crash (wont boot up) and I'm looking for a new one.  Last time i had it repaired by the factory it coast $180.  I can get a pretty good point-and-shoot for that much.  I'm looking for an upgrade though.  Something sub-SLR (due to cost restraints) like one of the "advanced" level of cameras.  Any suggestions?  What are you using and what do you like/dislike about it?
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: new camera??
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 11:36:51 PM »
I'm using a konika/minolta point and shoot that I'll probably be upgrading soon, and I'm sad to see that they are now out of the digital camera business.  Sony bought their digital camera division a few years back now.

My primary concern when purchasing it was shutter lag.
I can't stand a camera that doesn't take a pic when you press the button.
We previously had a canon that I could only take blurry pics with.  Its shutter lag was so long, that you would press the button, hear a click, think it's done, and start to move, and then a measurable amount of time later, it would actually take the pic.  I just couldn't get used to it.
At the time I was shopping, I found that all Sonys were the same way.

My co-worker has a Panasonic with a Leica lense.  It's point and shoot, but has quite a few bells and whistles for doing manual adjustments.  The lense is rather large, and doesnt retract to flat, which makes it not your best choice for a pocket cam, but it takes REALLY nice pics.  He decided on that based on a lot of research.

www.dpreview.com is a great source of reviews and sample photos
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 12:25:43 AM by albsvx »
1988 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 4.0, TF-999, NP-231, Dana 30 Truetrac, Dana 44 Detroit Locker, 4.88s, on 35"s

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 12:21:56 AM »
a cannon 8mpix

$350.00

Offline mallcrawl

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 01:40:16 AM »
mine is a nikon coolpix S10
10X optical zoom
great macro mode
great landscape mode
not too slow on the shutter
and tons of features I'm to lazy to figure out how to use
took a little while to get used to the rotating lens peice and I wish it had a viewfinder for bright light situtuations.

Offline Kral4me

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 01:56:48 AM »
My primary concern when purchasing it was shutter lag.
I can't stand a camera that doesn't take a pic when you press the button.
We previously had a canon that I could only take blurry pics with.  Its shutter lag was so long, that you would press the button, hear a click, think it's done, and start to move, and then a measurable amount of time later, it would actually take the pic. 

At the time I was shopping, I found that all Sonys were the same way.

X10. Except....it is ALL about what YOU need YOUR camera to do for YOU. What are you planning on using it for? Action? Still shots? Good all-around shots?

Shutter speed is HUGE. How long does it take to take a pic when you push the button? Look for things like image stabilizers built into the point and shoot designs (they compensate for shaking hands or unstable footing while you are snapping a shot  ;) ), and a fast autofocus. It all goes along with shutter speed.

It really is all personal preferance. Know what you want before you go in somewhere, and then tell them what you are looking for:

Are you going to be making prints of the photos you take? If so, in what size? 8x10's require over 10 megapixel for startling clear picture prints, usually. If you just want to be able to post pics on message boards etc, something with less megapixels will be fine. My little Cybershot only has 4.1, my big Nikon has 10.2.

What are you willing to settle for (megapixel size, waterproof or no, size of camera itself - because sometimes really small is too small and it'll pick up on slightest shimmy and shiver - among other things), what do you need, and what you think might be easiest to use?

The more complicated stuff can be fun if you have the time, but when you are running a trail, are you really going to have time to set the f-stops, adjust the exposure, etc? LOL.  A good autofocus can be your best friend in a point n shoot.

Quiet honestly, spend some time in the stores, actually taking pictures with the display models, and some places let you print out a photo. Never buy it unless you have tried it, except of course if there is a locked in gaurentee return no charge within X amount of days. You can virtually find something you like in ANY price range....literally.

The old camera I had was a Sony Cybershot. Not a bad camera, except I have high standards and 1) don't like blurry pictures, and 2) hate sitting there waiting for the click of a picture, or waiting for the camera to reset for another shot. Made action shots hell. But...it was of a design from 3 years ago. Maybe they have improved?

Either way.....good luck!
~J.D.~
"When life gets too hard to stand....crawl."

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 02:10:34 AM »
or waiting for the camera to reset for another shot. Made action shots hell.

Oh yeah, I meant to talk about this in my post.

Although mine has an extremely quick auto-focus, and extremely quick shutter, its start up time (from from "off" to actually taking a pic) is kind of lacking, and it's storage lag, dormant lag, between shots lag (called different things by different manufacturers) is extremely lacking.

These things are certainly what I will be shopping for in my next cam.

Al
1988 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 4.0, TF-999, NP-231, Dana 30 Truetrac, Dana 44 Detroit Locker, 4.88s, on 35"s

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 05:27:36 AM »
I agree with you on storage lag.  Reg and I have the same camera, a Kodak easy share, which takes good pics, but it's pretty slow.  It's storage time sucks.  I'm definitely taking that into consideration on my next one.
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 06:46:14 AM »
1-G cards?

fixed
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 06:56:00 AM by HOT-ROD »

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 06:50:34 AM »
What? ???

I win!

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 06:56:27 AM »
i speel wierd sorry.

Offline Kral4me

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 07:16:14 AM »
What? ???

Capacity of storage....maximized by using a card. LOL. 1G doesn't hold as much as my 4G does though  :P :-* and it doesn't really affect the ability of a camera to reset after each picture I don't think.
~J.D.~
"When life gets too hard to stand....crawl."

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 07:41:21 AM »
well

there it is

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 07:47:06 AM »
Si, il capito.

Italian for:  "yes, I understand"

I win!

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 07:48:10 AM »
si, comprehendo

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 01:51:33 PM »
the card CAN effect storage lag, there are different speed cards, but buying the fastest card you can find (of course, more expensive) will only help so much.  The nicer cameras have enough RAM to keep a certain number of pictures in RAM while it's in the process of writing it to storage, and therefore (along with other factors) can reset much quicker in between pics