Author Topic: new camera??  (Read 8052 times)

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
Re: new camera??
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 04:36:17 PM »
very true,
like having 500 gig hard drive with only 1/4 gig RAM and running digital wireless

Offline Kral4me

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 05:57:28 PM »
the card CAN effect storage lag, there are different speed cards, but buying the fastest card you can find (of course, more expensive) will only help so much.  The nicer cameras have enough RAM to keep a certain number of pictures in RAM while it's in the process of writing it to storage, and therefore (along with other factors) can reset much quicker in between pics

Oooooooo I didn't know that. Ty.

See you learn something new every day!  ;)
~J.D.~
"When life gets too hard to stand....crawl."

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 01:39:08 AM »
I've come up w/ 3 cameras i really like.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong9/

and

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons5is/

and

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz18/

any ideas?  I'm planning on going to Ritz camera to talk to someone and play w/ them.  They only thing i dont' like about the first one (canon s5) is it's lack of RAW format.  Any of you have any experience w/ RAW format pics?
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 01:55:51 AM »
From my personal experiences, I would lean heavily towards the Panasonic.  I can not speak highly enough about the Leica lenses.
My co-worker who has a (smaller) panasonic, uses a 4GB card, and shoots ONLY in RAW.
1988 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 4.0, TF-999, NP-231, Dana 30 Truetrac, Dana 44 Detroit Locker, 4.88s, on 35"s

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 03:17:34 AM »
i would go with any camera that you can interchange lenses and flashes.

like one-eye's

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008, 03:27:33 AM »
that gets you into a whole new price class of camera, like the kind where you have to decide weather you'd rather have a new camera, or new sliders & skids... :)
1988 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 4.0, TF-999, NP-231, Dana 30 Truetrac, Dana 44 Detroit Locker, 4.88s, on 35"s

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 03:54:10 AM »
true. but it depends on what you want. like everything, it's all personal judgement. i'd vote for the second camera.

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008, 11:49:23 AM »
true. but it depends on what you want. like everything, it's all personal judgement. i'd vote for the second camera.

I don't know about you, but I'm not made of money.  As this is an unplanned camera purchace/upgrade,  I havn't been saving for it.  I would love a DSLR, but I'm going to settle for a compact (or DSLR-like) for now.  My knowelge/skill w/ camers is still not to the level to were I would get my money's worth from a DSLR.  Someday.  Right now I'm lookig for some zoom and some manual settings I can learn with.  Besides, extra lenses cost more than a good set of sliders, FYI.
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2008, 04:20:28 AM »
i know, i was just posting a webwheeling shout out to ONE-EYE and his camera.

i like the second camera still.

i know you dont have a money tree jeremy.

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2008, 01:29:34 PM »
i know, i was just posting a webwheeling shout out to ONE-EYE and his camera.

i like the second camera still.

i know you dont have a money tree jeremy.

I'm leaning a lot to the second one (the S5).  I played w/ it for a while at best buy (was frusturated because best buys power supply kept shorting out, and i had to restart the camera fevery 2 min), it is is pretty nice; good feel, lots of features, menus seem well laid out.  I havn't found the other two in a store yet, but i think i could be happy with the S5 (unless for some reason i need RAW images).

As far as money, i need to marry a working woman (can you say dual income) so i can spend her money on the morgage and have more of my own to play with :D:D

Offline Kral4me

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2008, 02:44:46 PM »
As far as money, i need to marry a working woman (can you say dual income) so i can spend her money on the morgage and have more of my own to play with :D:D

Ummm yeah you can do that...Scott did. I made twice the money he did when I met him....BUT

Then you start transferring, you start having problems with daycare, and you generally start getting annoyed that you went from making $70K a year down to $8/hr...and then it is "why bother working? I have my hands full with deployments and kids"

*Grins* so you might as well stay single LMAO!  ;D ;)

Did you decide for sure what camera yet?
~J.D.~
"When life gets too hard to stand....crawl."

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2008, 03:54:10 AM »
But since i'm staying here (hopefuly) no worries about the tranfer thing :D  Just got to meet a nice girl.

As far as the camera thing goes, the S5 is my favorite (based on price and its the only one i've auctlly played with), but i havn't seen a print.  just the tuff from the review site.  the review seems pretty through, and w/ 8MP, i'm sure my pics will be fine.  I dont' know of a local place to look at more cameras.  Ritz has to special order them, BB only has the S5.  Any one know of local camera shops? 

I'm 90% sure about getting the S5.  It will do what i need it to do, and has the ability for me to play around and add some lenses/filters.

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2008, 04:52:58 AM »
I spent about an hour today in best buy playing with cameras, and I've got to say, Sony has come a LONG way since my last purchase.

Base on what I currently feel is most important to me, my next cam is going to be a sony.

The few Panasonics that Best Buy has, are incredibly slow, and though I know that my co-workers is reasonably fast, it's nowhere near as fast as even the cheapest sony that I played with.  The lenses, even on the teeny tiny sony are pretty highly reviewed, much like the panasonic lenses.

for me, the hands on test was a hands down win to the various sonys

as for the rest of the discussion, you've gotta meet yourself a nice wheelin' chick.  I guess we need to start recruiting single chicks for the club.  :)

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2008, 05:12:15 AM »
what bout said "chick" when talking at the garage al?

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2008, 02:33:48 PM »
x2

:D