Author Topic: vibration/shudder  (Read 3985 times)

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
vibration/shudder
« on: March 16, 2008, 03:29:25 PM »
So I have a vibration/shudder at 55-60 mph.  Anything under or over and its as smooth as,well its smooth.  Any ideas?

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
Re: vibration/shudder
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 09:37:24 PM »
due to lift?

steering wheel shudder?

speeding up?

cruising at 55?

on the budget lift, did you mess with any of the steering linkages?

try to shake the shafts and see if there is any play?

bad u-joint in axles/drive shaft. it was sitting for a while perhaps one is siezed?

well take a look at the car show.

Offline reg

• Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 12:13:48 AM »
NEED MORE INFO

Offline Gastank

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
  • HORSEPOWER: A TIRE BURNING GOOD TIME!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 05:50:31 AM »
Yeah... so I have a noise.... it's a knock or a thud or something.... coming from the front or the back or something.
Any Ideas?
91 YJ, 350cid/TH400/231 4.5 RE springs, 2" Bonz shackles, 33/12.5/15 MT baja claws, and lock-rite in the rear.
"But it is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation." - Herman Melville

Offline reg

• Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 07:02:13 AM »
Yeah... so I have a noise.... it's a knock or a thud or something.... coming from the front or the back or something.
Any Ideas?
thats easy!  It is from the piece of whatever it's called, you know right behind that thing that hangs down next to the other thing right there next to it.  It's loose so all you need to do is tighten up the adjustment on it.  that should bring everything into allignment.  but if you are going to flex it I recommend upgranding to a disconnectable, spring loaded job.  I believe they sell it either at summits, or whintney, or quadratec, or some store anyway. you probally bent it last time you were doing that thing over near the trail.  But i could be wrong. ;D

NO HARD FEELINGS, JUST HAVING FUN

Offline CaptORM

• Rock Crawler
    • JT 4X4
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 12:42:07 PM »
I think my thing is doing that thing to.  Theres some noise coming from somewhere but Im not sure if its underneath or inside or even next to. 
I do cheeks for free just ask...

l  
 l _[==]__o___o
 l//_|__l__l,\___\,___
 l_--\__\__l_/---\_[] llll [)
  (o)_)        (o)_)--o)_)

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee
6.5" lift, 33's

Offline Mr. Potter

• Paid Members
  • Rock Crawler
  • On top of the world
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 01:09:23 PM »
Any Ideas?
thats easy!  It is from the piece of whatever it's called, you know right behind that thing that hangs down next to the other thing right there next to it.  It's loose so all you need to do is tighten up the adjustment on it.  that should bring everything into allignment.  but if you are going to flex it I recommend upgranding to a disconnectable, spring loaded job.  I believe they sell it either at summits, or whintney, or quadratec, or some store anyway. you probally bent it last time you were doing that thing over near the trail.  But i could be wrong. ;D

NO HARD FEELINGS, JUST HAVING FUN

That's f-n funny
Well I am a Jk Owner now so don't hate.

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 03:21:47 AM »
i think he is ignoring this thread now...

any finding's yet??

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 04:59:06 AM »
Not ignoring.  It seemed on the ride home the shudder now starts around 50 and gets really shakey braking on the offramp between 60-50.  Hey if you think my discription is bad about this you should hear what I tell the Doc when I have to see him.

Offline mallcrawl

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 06:10:00 AM »
Not ignoring.  It seemed on the ride home the shudder now starts around 50 and gets really shakey braking on the offramp between 60-50.  Hey if you think my discription is bad about this you should hear what I tell the Doc when I have to see him.

sounds a bit like classic death wobble does the vibe go away when ya give it a bit of gas?

Offline CaptORM

• Rock Crawler
    • JT 4X4
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 03:23:57 PM »
Death wobble goes away when you break so thats not it. 

Trust me Ive had it pretty bad in the jeep.  Bad enough to break the control arm brackets loose.

l  
 l _[==]__o___o
 l//_|__l__l,\___\,___
  (o)_)        (o)_)--o)_)

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee
6.5" lift, 33's

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 11:47:28 PM »
So the guy I bought it from said he thought it might be a bad ball joint, is this a system of a bad ball joint?  if so, can I fix this or is it something a shop must do?  If a shop should do it,is there a shop around here that you guys trust?

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 11:49:59 PM »
Rebel Fabrications is a great shop!  so it JT 4x4 wrench fest.  Ball joints can be done by you (w/ help, if you want, just ask)
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline CaptORM

• Rock Crawler
    • JT 4X4
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 12:04:16 PM »
Ball joints are easy.  Hey maybe we can do a Wrench fest.   I have a broken U joint that needs fixing and a track bar bolt that needs replacing.

l  
 l _[==]__o___o
 l//_|__l__l,\___\,___
  (o)_)        (o)_)--o)_)

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee
6.5" lift, 33's

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master