tires
« on: December 06, 2010, 12:27:43 AM »

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
Re: tires
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 01:06:00 AM »
I have the Pro Comp MT's and they are loud but ok.  KP has the X-terrains and they work great.  I have head nothing but negative things about the AT's, the guys on SiS call them Pro- Craps.  For a street only tire, they would be ok, but almost every rig in New England runs MT's (except ROCK).  If you plan to use your rig off road, I highly recommend MT's. 
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline smaug1911

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 05:31:53 AM »
I have these and cannot recommend them if you want to wheel on them. They are fine in the snow and Ok on the street. But when i move up to 35's, i will be getting BFG's...either the AT or MT.

That is a good price, but they do not eject mud from the treads at all....meaning I slide alot and get no grip on wet rocks in New England.
97 V6 Tacoma TRD. 2.5" front coil spacers. 3.5' Downey leaf springs, 2" 4Crawler body Lift, rear Bilstein 5125's, 35" BFG KM2's, Skid row transfer skid, Ocean State Crawlers front winch bumper, custom rear bumper, Kajobuilt sliders, deckplate mod, grey wire mod, Smittybilt XRC8.

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 02:04:18 PM »
if u get AT's ur gonna regret it and wish u would have gotten MT's, MT's preform just fine on the road i put 30,000 miles on the MT's on my truck and never had an issue.
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 12:53:08 AM »
I have the Pro Comp MT's and they are loud but ok.  KP has the X-terrains and they work great.  I have head nothing but negative things about the AT's, the guys on SiS call them Pro- Craps.  For a street only tire, they would be ok, but almost every rig in New England runs MT's (except ROCK).  If you plan to use your rig off road, I highly recommend MT's. 

I do agree that MTs are the way to go but in Rocks defense if your going to go with ATs then the BFGs are the only way to go. I have gone through 2 sets of BFG ATs, got 70+k out of each set & till up to 70k they performed great. Even in mud just get some wheel speed & the tread will clean out good(not as good as a MT tire tho) But will last longer. A MTs tire life is short. Rotate,Balance & alignment are very important to a tires life. Must rotate & check balance EVERY 6K(NO LESS) or strange tire wear will occur & that is where tires get noisy then rapid tire wear starts to occur.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline TommyD

• Trail Queen
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 03:28:22 PM »
I've got a set of A/T's that I use for everyday driving, I swap them off with the original tires that came with my Rubi when I'm going out for somke fun. The A/T's are quiet on the road but trying to crawl up rocks I find them lacking.

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 03:13:21 AM »

X2 on what both  Kirk and Bob said, I only run the AT's because I got a great deal on them, but i work them hard, and you'll be happy to know, I picked up a set of khmo's (?) 35" MT's. now I just need to build a front axle strong enought to handle them!!!!
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 06:27:53 AM »
I ran AT's on my XJ and it was like running a drag slick. Specifically the Pro Comps. I would never recommend them to anybody unless it was a street tire. I run Mickey Thompson MTZ's (35") on my Rubicon and I dont think I've ever had them clog up. 2 years and still have 75% tread with little to no chunking. I'd buy them again.
Living in Preston. Call me if you're going wheeling!