Author Topic: question  (Read 1451 times)

Offline zjorvis97

• Mudd Hog
question
« on: November 16, 2009, 05:29:03 AM »
So recently my jeeps transmission started slipping. However, it only does it when it shifts into 3rd gear. It only does it once everything is warmed up and its mainly on the highway. If i feather the trottle or hit a bump it will shift like its suppose to. Does anyone have any advice or comments that might give me an idea what it might be? I have checked the fluid and its at its normal level. I have the 5.2 318 motor with the quadra-trec transfercase (NV-249). Thanks

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
Re: question
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 12:10:37 AM »
how many miles?  the bands could be worn out
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline zjorvis97

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 02:17:50 AM »
170,000 miles or close to it

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 02:36:37 AM »
Valves are clogged.  Does the fluid smell burned?  Try changing the fluid and filter, and I have always had good luck with Lucus transmission fluid "fix" even though I have always used it in transmissions that weren't slipping.  The Lucus stuff claims to repair slipping transmissions (most likely by removing the deposits that form near the orifice of the valves).  Since a transmission fluid/ filter change only changes 1/3- 1/2 of the overall fluid (most remains in the torque converter), after 500 miles change the fluid/ filter again. 

When my bro-in-law had a similar problem in his old Neon we did this and it fixed the slipping.  I think based on the year your Jeep would take Dex/Merc III, and if it does I would not recommend ATF +4 since it is a sythetic and XJ guys say it ruins the clutches.  XJ guys swear by Castrol conventional Dex/ Merc (says III in the print on the back). 

DO NOT HAVE THE TRANSMISSION FLUID FLUSHED, IF THERE IS ANYTHING IN THE TRANSMISSION THAT SHOULD NOT BE THERE, A FLUSH WILL FORCE IT SOME WHERE IT DOESN"T BELONG.

Good Luck and keep us posted.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 02:52:17 AM »
Kirk when r u going to come back and do some wheeling?
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 02:58:36 AM »
Kirk when r u going to come back and do some wheeling?

It's not looking like anytime soon, best guess is now late Feb/ Early March  :'( . I only get a 5 day stand down over Christmas so I won't even get a chance then.  Ship yard time sucks!!!!
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline zjorvis97

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 03:03:25 AM »
Thanks Kirk. I am going to try that. I have never done it, but i would guess that its not too much different then an oil change. If thats not correct let me know. Thanks again.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 03:59:12 AM »
Thanks Kirk. I am going to try that. I have never done it, but i would guess that its not too much different then an oil change. If thats not correct let me know. Thanks again.
Depending on the how the transmission pan is set up, it will either be very easy, or it could take a little work.  My XJ has a drain plug to get the fluid out, but to change the filter I had to drop the pan which is attached to the dip stick tube which makes dropping the pan a PITA.  The good part about the drain plug is that I just changed the fluid (not the filter) for the second time since I have owned the XJ and it took all of 10 minutes. The Liberty does not have a drain plug so to change the fluid the pan has to broken loose, kind of like changing the diff fluid.  The fill is through the dip stick tube. 

The filter kit will come with a gasket for the pan and the important part is to get the seal for the pick up in straight.  Just take your time and it will go ok, it's not much harder the changing oil or diff fluid.
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT