Author Topic: lesson learned  (Read 1236 times)

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
lesson learned
« on: November 17, 2009, 02:11:09 PM »
One post-wheeling PMS i've never though to do, till last night, was clean the mud/dirt off my battery connectors.  I found out last night that this is vital when all i got was a click w/ the key. The actual terminals were fine, but on my + side, i have a stud/wing-nut for all connections to the post clamp.  That is were there was a lot of dirt!  Now i just need to clean it all up and make sure that is my real problem.
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: lesson learned
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 02:18:24 PM »
I haven't necessarily cleaned them after a wheelin trip, but I try to remember to remove my battery cables at least once a quarter to clean them and put them back on. One of my CJ7s seemed to always have crud build up on the terminals no matter how much wheeling I was doing. It probably had something to do with missing the inner fender well and allowing all the road grime to splatter the battery and firewall.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 07:57:14 PM »
ill grab some electrical silicone. Might help you out for later on. See what i can find.

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 10:12:16 PM »
ill grab some electrical silicone. Might help you out for later on. See what i can find.

I've got plenty; but didnt' think of using it (was going to use liquid electrical tape, even though it would be a pain to undo)

I haven't necessarily cleaned them after a wheelin trip, but I try to remember to remove my battery cables at least once a quarter to clean them and put them back on. One of my CJ7s seemed to always have crud build up on the terminals no matter how much wheeling I was doing. It probably had something to do with missing the inner fender well and allowing all the road grime to splatter the battery and firewall.

my whole engine compartment is filthy; from the mechanical fan playing paddle boat.  the terminal clamps were fine, just where the wires are connected to it (stud/wingnut) was/is filthy.  I'm gonna get some elcetrical cleaner today adn see what i can do.
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 02:34:36 AM »

some electrical cleaner, a wire brush, and some dielectric grease, and it started just fine :)

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 06:51:37 AM »
cool glad to hear it