Author Topic: Electrical Gremlins defeated  (Read 5002 times)

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
Electrical Gremlins defeated
« on: September 04, 2009, 12:24:13 AM »
Electric windows wouldn't work. Cold ride home at midnight from work. Wonder if this had much to do with it? Time to patch the floorboard and Herculine.... ya wow

Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
Re: Electrical Gremlins defeated
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 12:30:52 AM »
is that from the windshield leaking?  If it is, you might consider calling around and having the windshield pulled and resealed.  Since the glass is good,  I wouldn't imagine it would cost too much.  If you could find a safelite guy installing a windshield you might be able to convince him to do it under the table since it would only be labor and a little sealant. 
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 01:39:06 AM »
Yeah its that spot that all cherokees leak in, there and in the rear drivers side through the stock cargo rack hole. I'm going to take all the carpet out and herc it with floor drain plugs. Then it can rain in there all day long! But yeah, that may be something to consider. just not a priority on my budget. I'm not excactly sure if its the windsheild, it seems to drip right onto my left knee almost as if it were coming through the top of the drivers side window, and sometimes even drips through the headliner. So I'll have to try to isolate it more before I have someone re-seal my windshield. Its also very intermittent and the carpet will just seem to mysteriously get damp without physically seeing any water dripping.
W.O.J.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 02:14:35 AM »
If it was leaking into the passenger front floorboard I'd tell you that it's coming in from the cowl. After a hard rain I sometimes had 2-3" of standing water on my floorboard. That is why I ripped the carpet out and bedlined the whole thing. You can hear the road noise a little more, but the water just sits on top when it does get wet. The only problem is in summer. If you get a lot of water in there and then it heats up the next day you end up with water on the inside of the windows where its trying to evaporate. This past winter I also had a couple mornings where I had to scrape the inside and outside of the front window.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 02:50:01 AM »
If it was leaking into the passenger front floorboard I'd tell you that it's coming in from the cowl. After a hard rain I sometimes had 2-3" of standing water on my floorboard. That is why I ripped the carpet out and bedlined the whole thing. You can hear the road noise a little more, but the water just sits on top when it does get wet. The only problem is in summer. If you get a lot of water in there and then it heats up the next day you end up with water on the inside of the windows where its trying to evaporate. This past winter I also had a couple mornings where I had to scrape the inside and outside of the front window.

Yeah ive had 2 inches of standing water in my huskyliner floor mats on the drivers side only though. And that was in the spring when it was raining like crazy all the time. I have to say I just laughed pretty hard picturing you scraping the inside of your windows. haha. I'm just happy my windowns work again, and that the hole in the floorboard was minimal.( about the size of a quarter)
W.O.J.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 04:30:16 AM »
There's nothing like sitting in your seat with the ice scraper and getting shavings all over the dash and your lap at 6am before you go to work.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 05:39:26 AM »
one time after it had been freezing raining and then gotten colder through the night, my jetta GLI had been frozen to the ground. The front lip spoiler was frozen to the ground, just a big block of ice and snow. Had class so ended up with a chisel and a hammer to brake it free. That was about the same time I decide to buy an XJ. Low profile tires and ground kits don't work well in the snow. ;D
W.O.J.

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 08:57:38 AM »
tisk tisk.... im so glad this doesn't happen to mine  ;D by the way, jeep go here today. lots of little projects are going to happen in the next couple weeks. pics to follow. much love from hawaii i miss all of you :'(
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 05:42:48 PM »
Maybe not yet RJ, but it will so watch out! keep in mind mines a 93.
W.O.J.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 01:49:32 AM »
My 91 Jetta had a leak and several times I had to scrape the inside of my windshield.  I keept an used up giftcard to use a scrapper.  That car was such a POS. 
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 03:28:18 AM »
i think im going to bedline the floor before hand BTW! not the place to put this but we found the clunking noise. it's the track bar mount.
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 10:46:00 PM »
So I took out all 3 seats and all the stinky moldy rusty carpet. I found more rusty spots so I cut them out. One spot above the Cat was so bad I had to cut out a section at least 15'' x 6''. Patched each hole (about 7 in total). Sanded the crap out of the entire tub, swept it and hozed it down, wiped it down with Mek, and sprayed alot of that rustoleum rust converter stuff. I then Herculined the entire thing, to include the back of the rear seat. This way when I fold it down the entire rear end is herced. Heres pics.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 11:02:20 PM by BlacXJeep »
W.O.J.

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 10:55:35 PM »
how long did it take you to do? and their are no pics  :'(
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 11:06:09 PM »
pics are up now and I dunno probably at least 8 hours. But you need to leave it alone to let it dry overnight.
W.O.J.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 11:27:26 PM »
Looks really good!!! Good Idea doing it now and not waiting for winter.
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT