Author Topic: Electrical Gremlins defeated  (Read 5003 times)

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
Re: Electrical Gremlins defeated
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 11:31:38 PM »
i think my drivers seat may have fell through the floor had I waited haha.
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 02:16:45 AM »
It looks great. Here are the pics of when I did my XJ. I didn't have any holes in my floors yet. I just had a little surface rust, but nothing that had to be repaired.

Primered

Bedlined

You'll love the fact that the water will just sit on top and wipe out rather than soaking into carpets and staying wet against the floors for weeks.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 02:21:18 AM »
what kind of bedliner did you use, it looks a lot smoother? I left the two drain holes under the seats unplugged for now so any water that gets in the back will run down the slope and hopefully out them. I'll put the plugs back in for water crossings.
W.O.J.

PaulW

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 02:43:57 AM »
you didn't weld the patches in?

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 03:07:37 AM »
yeah whats a good bedliner to use?
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

PaulW

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 03:25:19 AM »
yeah whats a good bedliner to use?

undercoating works pretty good.  and it's only 4.50 a can... ;D

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 05:05:09 AM »

I don't have a welder, nor do I know how to use one so I used what I had. lol. I think it will be ok for a while
W.O.J.

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2009, 06:29:00 AM »

I'm noticing you really like rivets!  ;D  Great job though! you'll love not getting into it with mud all over your feet and sliding across the floor...Looks great with the interior all in place too!

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 01:55:51 PM »
I would not use undercoating on the inside of a vehicle. Most or them never harden completely and are oily so if you put a bag on the floor it could end up turning black. I don't remember what brand I used, but I know I bought it at Walmart in a gallon can. I put it on with paint brushes because I had read that using rollers makes it come out rougher for providing an anti-skid surface. I had to put a couple coats on it since paint brushes don't apply it real thick and I used figure 8 motions for applying so that I wouldn't get lines.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2009, 03:19:43 PM »

I'm noticing you really like rivets!  ;D  Great job though! you'll love not getting into it with mud all over your feet and sliding across the floor...Looks great with the interior all in place too!

They are self tapping metal screws, I'm too cheap for rivets also. lol
W.O.J.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2009, 08:18:41 PM »
I would not use undercoating on the inside of a vehicle. Most or them never harden completely and are oily so if you put a bag on the floor it could end up turning black. I don't remember what brand I used, but I know I bought it at Walmart in a gallon can. I put it on with paint brushes because I had read that using rollers makes it come out rougher for providing an anti-skid surface. I had to put a couple coats on it since paint brushes don't apply it real thick and I used figure 8 motions for applying so that I wouldn't get lines.

I too have never had much luck with undercoasting on the inside.  I used it in my first YJ and it rubbed off pretty easy.  I have used the Dupli-color truck bed liner for two differnt Jeeps and both times I was very happy with the reults.  For a rougher texture you can use the roller designed to apply the coating, it kind of pulls up on the coating as it goes acrossed it and makes a non-slip texture.  When applied by the spray cans it isn't as smooth as using a paint brush, but isn't as rough as using the roller.

From what I have found Walmart has it the cheapest, but thats not a big surprise :-X
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2009, 03:08:11 AM »
undercoating was more of a joke for RJ.  It doesn't harden, in the sun it melts and becomes sticky, and if you spill any kind of solvent on it, it "washes" off and becomes more of a sticky mess then when it gets hot.  I tried to line a truck bed with it before.  big waste of time.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2009, 03:38:21 AM »
undercoating was more of a joke for RJ.  It doesn't harden, in the sun it melts and becomes sticky, and if you spill any kind of solvent on it, it "washes" off and becomes more of a sticky mess then when it gets hot.  I tried to line a truck bed with it before.  big waste of time.

Now that makes sense. I was trying to figure out why you would recommend undercoating inside a rig.
1994 YJ on 37s

PaulW

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2009, 03:50:25 AM »

Now that makes sense. I was trying to figure out why you would recommend undercoating inside a rig.

i need to be careful with him though, he's very easily influenced.

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2009, 04:26:23 AM »
idk im just looking for more stuff i should do to complete my jeep.
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.