Author Topic: Budget boost  (Read 3180 times)

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
Budget boost
« on: August 18, 2009, 11:39:13 PM »
Going up another inch and a half to 2 inches. Want to be at 4.5-5''. Was wondering what the cheapest way was. Priced out Rusty's 4.5-5 inch shocks and coil spacers and shackles, and it came out to  about $289 with shipping included. Just wondering if anyone knows of any good deals. I know I just missed the 4wd sale.
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
Re: Budget boost
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 12:04:20 AM »
4wd hardware has the Daystar spacers and shackels in Red only for $90.
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?jeep-sid=357&plID=10378&partID=42620

You 10% military or club discount can also be applied to help cover the shipping.  Shocks are another issue and personal preference.  I really like the RE shocks on my YJ and I also really like the Rancho RSX we run on the liberty.  I do NOT recommend DOSCHTECH (spell???), they were on the Liberty for about 20K miles before all the fluid leaked out and were junk. 

Going up to 4.5-5" I would think you are going to also need a SYE.  You can do a hack-n-tap and you might be able to get another XJ front shaft to work in the rear, but I am not 100% positive on the length with your T-case vs the NP231.  Make sure you factor that when coming up with how much $$$ you are going to spend.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 12:14:16 AM by kirksjeep »
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 01:03:41 AM »
the 242 is supposed to be longer than the np231, so I'm hoping that will help, along with the auto being longer.
W.O.J.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 02:04:05 AM »
the 242 is supposed to be longer than the np231, so I'm hoping that will help, along with the auto being longer.

The 242 being longer is a BAD thing then.  That would make the drive shaft shorter and make the angle steeper and that causes vibes.  Any idea how much longer we are talking, if it is an inch or two I don't think it would make much difference, but longer then that will make a difference.  If it is much longer you might want to re-consider the NP231 swap with a SYE.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 03:24:58 AM »
I didn't think of it that way, but I understand now. I guess I will have to wait and see. But I'll put a few hundred aside just so I have options. I have the TC drop already installed and I dont think I really needed it with the 3 inch lift. It was just a precaution. If I can get the extra lift installed and get away with minimal driveline vibration for a bit, that would be great. I'd really like to take my time and figure out what I want to do as far as TC and Hack N tap/ SYE. But you know you will be the guy I'll be crying to when my XJ drives like a Raped Ape, cuz my driveline angle is all screwy. :D
W.O.J.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 04:30:42 AM »
Also I painted all the skids i got from Roger today. Nice coat of red rustoleum, just cuz thats what I had laying around. My first choice would have been black but they are going to get all banged up anyhow. Still have no idea how the hell any of them bolt up. Maybe someone would like to help me some time soon? hint hint...
W.O.J.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 06:33:30 AM »
Did you get new control arms with your 3" kit?  If not, you are going to want to get some.  Here is a quick link that I saw tonight that made me think of it.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=840136
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 07:47:30 AM »
yeah need those especially with the 33s. If my axle gets pulled back any more I'm screwed. Cant really trim fenders any more. Guess I'll have to factor those in too. Good call Kirk
W.O.J.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 01:59:42 PM »
I had right at 6.5" of lift with my XJ without a SYE for a little while, but it did have a vibration and ate the ujoint at the back of the t-case. The SYE made a huge difference. I wish I had some time to help with the skids, but I'm really busy. I'll be wrenching Friday afternoon, but I'll be out of town on Saturday and have to work in New York City Monday through Thursday next week.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 05:59:19 PM »
I had right at 6.5" of lift with my XJ without a SYE for a little while, but it did have a vibration and ate the ujoint at the back of the t-case. The SYE made a huge difference. I wish I had some time to help with the skids, but I'm really busy. I'll be wrenching Friday afternoon, but I'll be out of town on Saturday and have to work in New York City Monday through Thursday next week.

I really have a hunch i can get away without a SYE for a bit. We'll see. As far as the skids, Ill figure them out. Wish I knew who made them so I could do a google search. The front one seems to bolt up the same way Rusty's engine skid does so i should be able to get that.
W.O.J.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 11:33:32 PM »

I really have a hunch i can get away without a SYE for a bit. We'll see. As far as the skids, Ill figure them out. Wish I knew who made them so I could do a google search. The front one seems to bolt up the same way Rusty's engine skid does so i should be able to get that.

if ya want stop by my house sat am and we can put everything in.  i'll be watching my kids for a while, but my wife will be home at 2ish then we can go full tilt and do it all.

Sounds good. Can only stay till 2:30 or so. Got overtime sat night but how early should I come up?
W.O.J.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 12:11:12 AM »
Did you get new control arms with your 3" kit?  If not, you are going to want to get some.  Here is a quick link that I saw tonight that made me think of it.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=840136

Kirk, do i need uppers and lowers? and fixed or adjustable? I don't see myself ever going any higher than 6 inches of lift.
W.O.J.

Offline Swagger

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 12:29:48 AM »
nobody ever see's themselves going higher than what there looking at, at that specific time. But with new and betterequipment coming out all the time, you will eventually squint at the screen and say"I NEED THAT". budget boost's aint bad, but dont cheat your self on stuff like drive line pieces and parts.  You WILL regret it further down the road if you go PaulW, oops i mean cheapo on the really important stuff.  If you cant afford to do everything at once, save, stock pile the parts and do installs in groups, i.e lift, SYE/DriveShaft, and tires if you want.  And like kirk was saying, control arms are very, very important.
FOR SALE:  2000 TJ with some stuff and uber low mileage.  $9500 obo. Come to Texas and buy my junk!!!

I like to smash things!!!!

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 12:41:32 AM »
I think I'm going to go with Fixed lower control arms. They will be longer than stock obviously, and stay with stock uppers for a while. My rig is a 93, and I have read that it is less sensitive to issues here. at 4.5'' I think I will be ok. so right now the plan is Daystar 1.5'' coil spacers and shackles, 4.5-5'' Rusty's shocks and Rusty's fixed LCAs. And I'll put some cash aside for Hack-N-tap for my NP242. With the TC drop already installed, may be fine. Thinking I may also need to pick up some JY 95 TJ brake lines or something along those lines that are longer. this seems like the safest way to go without spending big bucks.
W.O.J.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 12:52:14 AM »
if i order it all from rusty's and go with their 1.75'' spacers front and rear, it comes to $433 shipped. Is there a better deal out there?
W.O.J.