Author Topic: Budget boost  (Read 3179 times)

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
Re: Budget boost
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 02:51:56 AM »
I would think you will need upper and lowers and they should be adjustable.  You will also need an adjustable track bar or a new mounting system.  If the track bar stayed stock it will pull the axle to the drivers side.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 02:57:47 AM »
RE and Rough Country both make control arm drop brackets for the front that you could have to the house for under $200 and you'd be able to keep the stock control arms you already have. Basically they will drop your control arms enough and push it forward enough that even with 4.5" of lift you'll have the geometry of 0.5" of lift. They made a world of difference for ride quality in my XJ, but the problem I had was the my adjustable control arms wouldn't go as short as stock so it pushed my axle out forward and extended my wheelbase. If you went with those and spacers in the front you'd be good.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 04:29:00 AM »
the rusty's fixed LCAs are only $130 for a pair. they ask you for your lift size so that they can accomodate to it. wouldn't these be better then drop brackets,  give me more clearance and new bushings? Just looked at a bunch of 4-5'' lift kits none of them come with uppers. But maybe If I would just consider looking into drop brackets for upper and lower, that would bring both closer to stock geometry, and I'll probably have to go with an adjustable track bar. This is really starting to get expensive... :o

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RC-CA111-UV&Category_Code=ARMS
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 04:42:05 AM by BlacXJeep »
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 02:59:50 PM »
I found the thread below this morning while trying to solve my dash gremlins problem.  There is some great info here that might give you some insight from guys that have used the stuff you are looking to buy.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/should-i-buy-rustys-4-5-lift-kit-upgrade-my-current-skyjacker-3-a-840230/
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 05:24:09 PM »
Ok that was somewhat helpful. Seems like I might be ok with my current plan, except I think a trackbar is necessary. I don't mind rusty's shocks since Im already running them. Right now my uppers and lowers are bone stock so that's the big question. Fixed, adjustable or drop brackets? Or some combination of the three. I'll keep researching. Is the Dash gremlin in your XJ?
W.O.J.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2009, 01:46:19 AM »
Ok that was somewhat helpful. Seems like I might be ok with my current plan, except I think a trackbar is necessary. I don't mind rusty's shocks since Im already running them. Right now my uppers and lowers are bone stock so that's the big question. Fixed, adjustable or drop brackets? Or some combination of the three. I'll keep researching. Is the Dash gremlin in your XJ?

the best thing to do would probably be 4 adjustable control arms.   you can always make them longer if you want to lift it higher.

Unfortunately that would also be the most expensive thing I could do, other than long arms
W.O.J.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2009, 01:52:12 AM »
I had right at 6.5" of lift with my XJ without a SYE for a little while, but it did have a vibration and ate the ujoint at the back of the t-case. The SYE made a huge difference. I wish I had some time to help with the skids, but I'm really busy. I'll be wrenching Friday afternoon, but I'll be out of town on Saturday and have to work in New York City Monday through Thursday next week.

I really have a hunch i can get away without a SYE for a bit. We'll see. As far as the skids, Ill figure them out. Wish I knew who made them so I could do a google search. The front one seems to bolt up the same way Rusty's engine skid does so i should be able to get that.

if ya want stop by my house sat am and we can put everything in.  i'll be watching my kids for a while, but my wife will be home at 2ish then we can go full tilt and do it all.

Paul, Kirk and I fiddled with the skid plates today, They really don't line up well with my setup. One of them looks as though it is close to fitting to cover the tranny pan, but would still need modification. The other (the TC skid we think) doesn't line up very well because of the TC crossmeber drop bars. However with some modification I think they will work. Haven't really tried the front engine skid, but it looks like its the cherokee up country stock skid, so it should bolt up. I would like to come up saturday, but only if you think we have time. Like I said I have to work at 4 in mystic, so I'd have to be leaving before 3pm.  :-\. what do you think? I know you mentioned you have to watch the kids.
W.O.J.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2009, 05:59:51 AM »
I had right at 6.5" of lift with my XJ without a SYE for a little while, but it did have a vibration and ate the ujoint at the back of the t-case. The SYE made a huge difference. I wish I had some time to help with the skids, but I'm really busy. I'll be wrenching Friday afternoon, but I'll be out of town on Saturday and have to work in New York City Monday through Thursday next week.

I really have a hunch i can get away without a SYE for a bit. We'll see. As far as the skids, Ill figure them out. Wish I knew who made them so I could do a google search. The front one seems to bolt up the same way Rusty's engine skid does so i should be able to get that.

if ya want stop by my house sat am and we can put everything in.  i'll be watching my kids for a while, but my wife will be home at 2ish then we can go full tilt and do it all.

Paul, Kirk and I fiddled with the skid plates today, They really don't line up well with my setup. One of them looks as though it is close to fitting to cover the tranny pan, but would still need modification. The other (the TC skid we think) doesn't line up very well because of the TC crossmeber drop bars. However with some modification I think they will work. Haven't really tried the front engine skid, but it looks like its the cherokee up country stock skid, so it should bolt up. I would like to come up saturday, but only if you think we have time. Like I said I have to work at 4 in mystic, so I'd have to be leaving before 3pm.  :-\. what do you think? I know you mentioned you have to watch the kids.

my wife has them in the morning, but i have to get mom-in-law, and i'm beat for sunday.  friday night?

Working till midnight friday. Its not that big of a priority Paul really. I would like to get some protection under there before we Do break neck next month. But that gives me lots of time. Just let me know when u got free time for wrenching on a weekend. I'm usually off, just doing overtime this sat night.
W.O.J.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2009, 01:55:57 AM »

my wife has them in the morning, but i have to get mom-in-law, and i'm beat for sunday.  friday night?

Working till midnight friday. Its not that big of a priority Paul really. I would like to get some protection under there before we Do break neck next month. But that gives me lots of time. Just let me know when u got free time for wrenching on a weekend. I'm usually off, just doing overtime this sat night.

i've penciled you in for next saturday.  its' written on the calander.  txt me during the week to be sure.

Glad you could pencil me in to your busy shedule. I got the front skid bolted up today, so thats less to do next saturday. Should be a good time though. I really think we may have to do some "custom Red Neck work" i.e, welding to these skids to make them fit. But at least we have some steel to work with. what will be the drink du jour? Are you still dry, or should I bring some frosty brews?
W.O.J.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2009, 05:05:31 AM »
Gave up on what? ???
W.O.J.