Author Topic: winches...  (Read 3029 times)

PaulW

winches...
« on: August 13, 2009, 04:34:59 AM »
thinking of building a front reciever for my jimmy that i could mount a winch into, then set up the truck to use it front or rear.  does anyone have any opinions on ramsey winches??  quadratech sells a 8500lb one for 400 seems like a good deal.  i'm also considering using the mount system for the zuki so i can have the winch for either vehicle.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92142_018_07.htm

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
Re: winches...
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 03:48:22 PM »
Harbor Freight 8000lb. is $299 and I've pulled NUMEROUS times with it in all conditions and it worked great. I'll be buying one for the FJ as soon as I get my bumper built...If it ever burns out it's easy on the wallet for the replacement... But $400 bones isn't bad for a brand name winch...

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 04:01:49 PM »
Kevin posted this the other day in the vendor area on GL4x4. He's the owner of Jeeperz-Creeperz and a good friend of mine. Rugged Ridge is coming out with a line of winches and this one looks good. I like the idea of a larger motor so it doesn't have to work quite as hard.

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=144433

1994 YJ on 37s

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 05:02:59 PM »
JP mag did a winch shoot out a few months ago and they really likes the mile marker PE 8000, which sells on sale for $399.  They said it is slow (like the Harbor Freight) but pulls all day.  The Harbor Freight like Scott has on JD's Jeep, has been rumored to be a Mile Marker Re-badge. 
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 12:14:15 AM »
a lot of us are running the smittybuilt, i've never had a problem.  it is $300 + 10 shipping at winchdepot.com.  never heard anything bad about it; save the $100 put it towards synth line
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 04:04:12 AM »
i got a ramsey on my jeep what little i have used it i like it my only complaint is where the clutch engagement handle is if you need a fairlead i got one you can have it let me know if you want it
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 03:42:09 PM »
Eventually I'll get a winch for my TJ, but I can count on one hand how many times I've had to be winched or tugged in the last 5-6 years of wheelin. For the little bit of use it will ever see I won't mind having a slow one as long as its reliable for when I do need to use it.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 02:47:08 AM »
Eventually I'll get a winch for my TJ, but I can count on one hand how many times I've had to be winched or tugged in the last 5-6 years of wheelin. For the little bit of use it will ever see I won't mind having a slow one as long as its reliable for when I do need to use it.

You haven't had to get winched because the extra wheelbase of the XJ is better than a TJ... ;)

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 05:52:13 AM »
DUDE!!! I seen a sami at the dream cruise today that was all hotrodded out... forgot to get a pic tho. sry
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 06:47:20 AM »
it was pretty sweet not gonna lie. but yeah i seen it and thought of you... no homo.
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 06:52:03 AM »
dude i can hardly keep up with you on these posts. how are you getting them done so fast?
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 03:16:10 PM »

You haven't had to get winched because the extra wheelbase of the XJ is better than a TJ... ;)

The extra wheelbase helps, but I'm also a fairly careful wheeler and try not to get myself into situations that I shouldn't be in to begin with.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 05:12:52 AM »
i have only been stuck once in my life and thats because my tires fell into deep ruts from a bigger truck and i was sitting on the axles. not a fun day.
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 04:34:10 AM »

I dont have my computer right now for photo evidence, but I know I have a picture of a certain blue XJ being winched out of a deep water crossing where it got snagged by "insert item x" and stuck grille deep in water. The high water pants of said XJ's owner was the best part.

I think that's the same spot where I took on a cab full of water and flooded out my wallet that was on the floor.  :-[
Living in Preston. Call me if you're going wheeling!

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 04:38:41 AM »
i have only been stuck once in my life and thats because my tires fell into deep ruts from a bigger truck and i was sitting on the axles. not a fun day.

i've done that so many times, i can't even count how many times i've had to be pulled out.  i'm probably over 35 extractions in my wheeling career.

Speaking of...
Living in Preston. Call me if you're going wheeling!