Author Topic: XJ Refurb  (Read 13204 times)

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
Re: XJ Refurb
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2009, 09:36:21 PM »
On my lunch break I ran over to Linder Jeep in New London and purchased an Oil Filter adaptor o-ring kit.  The adaptor is definitely my biggest leaker.  I also ran into Autozone to buy the shortest T-60 torx bit I could find to pull it off the engine.  There isn't much room between the frame horns and the adaptor bolt, maybe 2- 2 1/2".  I am going to try and knock this out tomorrow.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2009, 10:34:40 PM »
i've always used a gearwrench on the hex of the torx to get those out.  the ratchet doesn't fit very well.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2009, 05:19:34 AM »
i've always used a gearwrench on the hex of the torx to get those out.  the ratchet doesn't fit very well.

The torx I bought is pressed into a chrome piece that attaches to a socket.  It looks like I could get the torx part out and them use a ratchet wrench to pull it out.  I really don't know what else I would use a T60 for???  In 15 years of owning and working on Jeeps I have never needed one before this.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2009, 05:06:54 PM »

The torx I bought is pressed into a chrome piece that attaches to a socket.  It looks like I could get the torx part out and them use a ratchet wrench to pull it out.  I really don't know what else I would use a T60 for???  In 15 years of owning and working on Jeeps I have never needed one before this.

gm used them for years on they're w-body cars for the front caliper brackets.  there's a few more uses but i forget what they are.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2009, 04:08:47 AM »
The O-ring change went surprisingly easy.  I pulled the oil filter, and covered it up since I was going to re-use it.  I punched the bit out of the socket and used a 10mm wrench over the bit and an old lacrosse pole over the wrench to break it loose.  Once loose I used a 10mm ratchet wrench to pull it all the way out. 

The large o-ring that seals the adaptor to the block was hard as a rock and completly flat.  The o-rings on the bolt looked ok, but since new ones came in the kit I replaced them too.  Before I put everything back on I cleaned everything real well and then bolted everything back up.  I added a little oil to make up for the little bit that came out when pulling the filter off. 

I took the Jeep for a test drive, to check and see how it worked.  The temp gauge never even made it to 210, so it looks like the overheating problem is fixed.  When I got back from the 15 min test drive, the first thing I noticed was no buring oil smell. ;)  I crawled under the Jeep and couldn't find any oil leaking at all.  I'm going to keep a close eye for leaks but with a little luck the rear main seal is ok and the oil filter adaptor was the leaking so much oil that it made it look like a rear main seal.  I doubt I'll get that lucky, but it has cut the leak down significantly. 

I also added my "Mall Crawler" sticker.
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »
The O-ring change went surprisingly easy.  I pulled the oil filter, and covered it up since I was going to re-use it.  I punched the bit out of the socket and used a 10mm wrench over the bit and an old lacrosse pole over the wrench to break it loose.  Once loose I used a 10mm ratchet wrench to pull it all the way out. 

The large o-ring that seals the adaptor to the block was hard as a rock and completly flat.  The o-rings on the bolt looked ok, but since new ones came in the kit I replaced them too.  Before I put everything back on I cleaned everything real well and then bolted everything back up.  I added a little oil to make up for the little bit that came out when pulling the filter off. 

I took the Jeep for a test drive, to check and see how it worked.  The temp gauge never even made it to 210, so it looks like the overheating problem is fixed.  When I got back from the 15 min test drive, the first thing I noticed was no buring oil smell. ;)  I crawled under the Jeep and couldn't find any oil leaking at all.  I'm going to keep a close eye for leaks but with a little luck the rear main seal is ok and the oil filter adaptor was the leaking so much oil that it made it look like a rear main seal.  I doubt I'll get that lucky, but it has cut the leak down significantly. 

I also added my "Mall Crawler" sticker.

When I get my 4wd switch tuesday, want to go out for some stock truck wheeling??  stock makes it so much more fun :D

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2009, 08:27:39 PM »

When I get my 4wd switch tuesday, want to go out for some stock truck wheeling??  stock makes it so much more fun :D

Sorry, trying to keep this one working.  This Mall Crawler will only see 4wd when it snows.
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2009, 10:15:23 PM »

Sorry, trying to keep this one working.  This Mall Crawler will only see 4wd when it snows.

i can feel ya on that. 

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2009, 12:01:56 AM »
i'll do it! but it's gotta be kinda light wheeling cause i plan on either tuesday or wednseday driving it down to nj for the long trip to hawaii.
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

PaulW

« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2009, 02:14:33 AM »
i'll do it! but it's gotta be kinda light wheeling cause i plan on either tuesday or wednseday driving it down to nj for the long trip to hawaii.

you've already conquered all of the trails at the mall though

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2009, 02:38:33 AM »
true. we need another mall then.
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

PaulW

« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2009, 03:29:57 AM »
true. we need another mall then.

i have some nice lines through the meriden mall you can try :D

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2009, 07:18:42 PM »
it wouldn't suprise me.
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2009, 02:02:12 AM »
Today I got tired of my drivers side wiper stopping 3" too high when I shut them off.  It would eventually drop all the way down, and then pop back up at highway speeds.  I was hopping it was the teeth on the wiper are, but when I pulled the arms off they were fine.  I ended up pulling the wiper motor and the mechanism out from under cowl.  I found that the shaft that connects the wiper arm to the mechanism had started to wobble out it's slot where it connects to the mechanism.  I put down two tack welds and not it works like new.  It took about 20 minutes from start to finish, and now won't annoy me while driving down the road.

It's the little things that make me happy ;).
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2009, 02:03:56 AM »
It's the little things that make me happy ;).

I fixed the tailgate on the jimmy today.  the little plastic clip that holds the actuator to the release handle broke off.  some zip ties and 20 min and that made my simple day :)