Author Topic: XJ Refurb  (Read 13122 times)

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
XJ Refurb
« on: July 05, 2009, 01:52:13 AM »
The XJ "refurbish" is going ok, but has given me a few problems.  The first was simply getting the oil filter off.  I tried two strap wrenches, punching a screw driver though it, and eventually got it off by beating a few notches in the edge of it and tapping it off.  The rubber seal was smashed on their pretty good.  The valve cover gasket is a lot different then the one on my YJ, it took a while, but no problems.  The spark plugs were ok, but the coil rail was a PITA to deal with.  The transmission fluid, transfercase fluid and rear diff all went pretty quick. 

The coolant change had a little surprise for me.  Since the radiator is not the original, I am guessing that at one point the P.O. poured some stop leak into the over flow tank???  I found a 2" thick gunk at the bottom of the over flow.  I ended up pulling to over flow out and scraping out as much as I could and then rinsed it out until it was clean.  I used compressed air to blow the lines clear. 

Next up is front and rear shocks and all new brake fluid.  After that I'll save the worst for last with the front axle U-joints.  So far it looks like the P.O. had the fluids changed.  The worst looking was the brake fluid, it looked like oil. 

I still have the interior, stereo, "new" rims, and some exterior work.  I sold the beater Jetta today for $250 so I have a few more $$ to fix up the XJ.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

Re: XJ Refurb
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 03:45:32 AM »
seems like a lot of work, but seems satisfying.

Offline Tsunami

• Rock Crawler
    • Tsunami's facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 03:47:49 AM »
good luck bro, sounds like you got yur werk cut out... and i saw it...!
2010 mazdaspeed3

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 03:11:14 AM »
Today I knew I wouldn't have much time to work on the XJ since I promised my kids I would take them to Sub Fest (bracelt day).  I decided to tackle the rear shocks and 10 minutes into it, I had snapped all four of the upper shock mount bolts :'(.  I did a little searching on JeepForum and I guess it is pretty common.  I just knocked out the welded nuts with an air chisel and picked some new grade 8 nuts/bolts/washers up from Home Depot on the way home from Sub Fest.  I Fished some bailing wire through the holes and out the access slot, attahced a bolt with a washer on the wire and pulled it back out the hole.  After I put the shock in place I slid anouther washer on and then a nut.  On the drivers side the access to the top of the nut is longer then any wrench I had so I used a pair of channel locks to hold the bolt end while I tightened the nut.  The passenger side is easier and I could get a wrench on the bolt head.

It was a pretty easy fix for a OH SH** moment ;).  I also tried bleeding the rear brakes to get some fresh fluid down to the wheel cyclinders, but the brake bleeders are gummed up.  I pulled them out and they look pretty bad.  I'll go buy some new ones tomorrow.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 03:29:25 AM »
i've had those rear shock bolts snap more then once.  it really is common.  g;ad the fix is pretty easy huh?

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 04:03:35 AM »
Those rear upper shock mounts are a pain. I've broken mine off too, but I just cut two holes in the rear flooring and put them in from the top. I put a hinge on both sides so I can open them back up if the need ever arises again.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 04:20:45 AM »
Those rear upper shock mounts are a pain. I've broken mine off too, but I just cut two holes in the rear flooring and put them in from the top. I put a hinge on both sides so I can open them back up if the need ever arises again.

The cutting the hole in the floow was the back up method and the way I would have went if this wouldn't have worked.  The idea of the hinge is a great idea I would have never though of that.  I just put monroe gas matic shockes with a life time warranty so hopefully they will last a while, unless it gets lifted some day ;).
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 02:03:53 PM »
I put a hinge on both sides so I can open them back up if the need ever arises again.

unless it gets lifted some day ;).

you mean UNTIL  :P

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 11:31:56 PM »
Today I kncoked out the front shocks, steering stabilizer, drained the front diff and pulled the drivers side shaft.  I was working on getting the old U-joint out when I had to stop becuase the guy is comming by to pick up the Jetta.  My pile of parts is down to 2 U-joints and some diff fluid.  After the Jetta is gone I'll be headed back out to try and make more progress.
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 06:08:34 PM »
Yesturday I waited at the DMV for almost 3 hours to get temp tags and when I got home I got the drivers side axle shaft in and did the passenger side too.  I used my spare shaft from my YJ since it had a new U-joint in it, and I was tired.  I filled the front diff and took it for a test drive.  At about 60 MPH I have a vibration out the the left front, so I am thinking a tire balance and an alignement are probabaly needed.  The engine has a lot of power left and the tranny shifts smooth.  After ridding the Liberty for 7 years, the XJ feels more like a truck the the KJ. 

I still have a lot of work to do, but atleast I can drive it to work when it rains.  I am on the look out for some 30x9.50 AT's.  I was going to find the matching 225/75/15 BFG Long Trail, but one of them has a pretty good slice in the tread and another is showing some cracking.   I might settle for some 235/75/15 AT's if the price is right.  New they are about the same price.
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 03:34:52 AM »
already looked around alot. u can only fit 235's on there.
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 03:35:52 AM »
I found these same tires and these are the rims I picked up.  Just imagine this Jeep in Green, w/o the roof rack, and more dinged up. 

2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 03:38:48 AM »
already looked around alot. u can only fit 235's on there.

Jeep Forum and Jeeps Unlimited both say you CAN run 30x9.50x15 tires, but BFG AT's and MT's are known for rubbing the front sway bars.  The Goodyear GSA's ( A.K.A. the Get stuck Anywhere tires) are rounded and if the front turn stops are adjusted there are no problems.  The pic above is w/ 30's and NO lift.
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 03:40:28 AM »
well then im gonna go kick the guy at sears in the nuts cause he and a few other ppl have told me i couldn't run 30's. then again it could because i have flat leaf springs.
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 03:51:33 AM »
well then im gonna go kick the guy at sears in the nuts cause he and a few other ppl have told me i couldn't run 30's. then again it could because i have flat leaf springs.

Places like Sears will only install stock size tires, or maybe one size up.  Some places will install a bigger size if you already have that size on your Jeep.  Our Liberty has a 2" lift and when we go get tires I have to take them out in the parking lot and show them that 31's will fit.  I had to sign a statement last time saying that the tires I purchased were not the recommended size and I could not return them for being the wrong size. 

Do you really think the guys that work in Sears are Jeep experts?  No, they look in a little book and if the book doesn't say it will fit then they tell you it wont fit.
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT