Author Topic: XJ Refurb  (Read 13124 times)

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
Re: XJ Refurb
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 03:59:43 AM »
thats true.
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

PaulW

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 03:17:53 AM »
already looked around alot. u can only fit 235's on there.

30x9.5 fits stock i put 30x9.5 geostar radial at's on my 87 bone stock with even saggier springs then yours.  with the offset of your rims they will rub the control arms.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 03:20:46 AM by PaulW »

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2009, 03:56:40 AM »
I took the XJ for it's first longer drive today( about 120 miles).  I spent a few hours yesterday fixing the "no buS" guage issue, which is when the the ABS light and Check engine light come on, all the guage needles stop working and the odometer just says "no buS".  I cleaned all the contacts, slightly bent the pins for better contact and put it back together.  It all seems to be working.  I also found that the rear main seal has a moderate leak, which will need to be fixed at the next oil change.  Hopefully I can get the "new" tires and rims on the Jeep Sunday. 

It still needs a lot of TLC, but it is getting there.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2009, 04:29:39 AM »
the rear main is an easy project, just don't let it go to long, oily messes suck when you have to work under the truck.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 05:55:06 AM »
Today I put my 30's on, and wow they make the XJ look a lot differnt.  The Rear are all the way under the flairs, and the fronts stick out about a 1/2".  It rides a lot better with balanced tires, no more vibrations  ;D

Tonight I pulled the front bumper off, straightened it the best I could and bent the mount back into place.  I also heated the the drivers bumper cap and got most of the dent out of it.  I sprayed the the passenger side bumper cap with some bumper black paint, and got about half the drivers side one done when I ran out of paint.  I managed to spray the edges, so all I have to do is mask it off, but it can be done on the truck.  It is now looking like a $2K XJ ;D

While at Walmart I picked up a fire extinquisher, after seeing Roger's friends ZJ burn down I thought it was a good idea.  I need to find a good place to mount it, but like Roger I am thinking about screwing it into my Sub Box.  I am also looking into how to make the cubby in the right rear usefull.  On the Liberty they used a bungy net and I am thinking of doing the same to my XJ. 

I bought some Bars Leak rear main seal fix, just to get me through until I do my next oil change.  If it works I'll let everyone know, becuase I know we have a few guys that need a rear main seal.  I saw it on Trucks today, and since it is guarnateed not to clog, I decied to give it a shot.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 09:37:27 PM »
on quadratec they have a sub box that goes in that cubby.
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

PaulW

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2009, 02:15:51 AM »
kirk btw the harley got sold to buy the house....  i know sucks but shit happens..

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2009, 03:25:38 AM »
on quadratec they have a sub box that goes in that cubby.
Yea, but for a budget ride I am going to use the sub I have already and use the cubby to keep some small stuff in. 
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2009, 03:27:52 AM »
kirk btw the harley got sold to buy the house....  i know sucks but sh** happens..

Sounds like you made a good decision.  It would be nice to have both, but if I had to choose I would have made the same choice. 
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2009, 01:13:51 PM »
kirk btw the harley got sold to buy the house....  i know sucks but sh** happens..

Sounds like you made a good decision.  It would be nice to have both, but if I had to choose I would have made the same choice. 

Having a yard and the space for my kids is more important right now, I'll downgrade to a sportster probably next spring.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2009, 03:38:43 PM »

Having a yard and the space for my kids is more important right now, I'll downgrade to a sportster probably next spring.

Sporsters are chick bikes ;).  Look for used touring bike, like a Road King and sell the idea to your wife, since she will be able to join you for rides and be comfortable.  It worked for me, and then I bought a Solo seat. ;D  I also had to get a passenger pad, but most of the time it's just the Solo seat.
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2009, 11:05:41 PM »

Sporsters are chick bikes ;).  Look for used touring bike, like a Road King and sell the idea to your wife, since she will be able to join you for rides and be comfortable.  It worked for me, and then I bought a Solo seat. ;D  I also had to get a passenger pad, but most of the time it's just the Solo seat.

http://www.zippersperformance.com/catalogue/showproduct.asp?cat=865&prod=2063

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2009, 05:10:21 PM »
The Bars leak rear main seal stuff, did slow the leak a little, less mess in the driveway and I havn't had to add as much oil, but it did not seal completely.  It might work better for a smaller leak.  When I get back from my motorcycle trip to Milwalkee, I'll start the rear main seal project. 

I think I found my electrical problem to the rear hatch (rear wiper, defroster, electric lock), the harness from the body to the liftgate is torn a little and inside I can see atleast 3 broken wires.  I started wiring my amp, and if I can get to it, I'll try to fix those too. 
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2009, 06:20:58 PM »
I started wiring my amp, and if I can get to it, I'll try to fix those too. 

ahhh priorities...

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2009, 04:54:41 PM »
I managed to get the amp/ sub installed and I think I fried the amp.  It worked great and then I herd the alternator hum for a minute and then nothing. It was an old amp that was in  my Jetta and subjected to the moisture of my leaking trunk.  I'm going to trouble shoot a little, but I really think it is fried.  If so, I'll be looking on craigslist for a small amp. 

I also fixed the wires leading to the liftgate.  I had three busted wires, both of the big ones for the defroster and one for the rear wiper.  I also had two wires that had the insulation removed for the rear lock.  It was a pretty tight place to work, but I managed to pull enough wire into the body to splice and soilder in some new wire.  I replaced the blown fuse for the rear wiper, and now I have a working rear wiper and washer.  The rear defroster still doesn't work, but I think the problem is in the switch now.  It has no ilumination light and I don't get an on light either.  The relay clicks, so thas not the problem.  The switch is a failry common failure.  I am bidding on a switch panel on ebay and right now it is still $.01 with $7.00 shipping.  A new swtich is almost $30 at a dealership. 

I did win an owners manual on ebay for $.01 and $7.69 shipping.  All the others I have seen sell for $20 or more.  I think once I get the back bumper in a little better shape (paint the ends, bang out the dents, fresh paint/clear/buff) and fix the the front seat, and the rear main seal, the Jeep would would defintly be "fair" and close to "good."  In fair condition the Jeep's KBB value would be $3800 and I only have $2000 into it with all the new/used parts. 
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT