Author Topic: Jeep Painting Begins  (Read 5956 times)

nvrdun

Jeep Painting Begins
« on: June 12, 2009, 01:57:28 AM »
Day 1
My dad and i started to work on the doors and hood!

Day 2
work on the body wednesday and thursday and we got the body ready to spray primer tomorrow

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
Re: Jeep Painting Begins
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 02:04:52 AM »
Sweet man you going with that orange?
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 02:31:20 AM »
Your CJ is going to look great when you're done. I need to paint my XJ sometime soon. The clearcoat is just about all peeled off and the paint is getting so thin I'm starting to get some rust spots on the roof and door pillars. It just takes time and money. Do you have a paint booth or are you going to have someone else do the paint? If you have all the stuff, how much do you charge if I helped with all of the sanding and prep work?
1994 YJ on 37s

nvrdun

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 02:47:55 AM »
Sweet man you going with that orange?

Yup!! Hugger Orange

nvrdun

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 03:02:36 AM »
Your CJ is going to look great when you're done. I need to paint my XJ sometime soon. The clearcoat is just about all peeled off and the paint is getting so thin I'm starting to get some rust spots on the roof and door pillars. It just takes time and money. Do you have a paint booth or are you going to have someone else do the paint? If you have all the stuff, how much do you charge if I helped with all of the sanding and prep work?
Thanks Calvyn
i do have all the tools to do the work! but i don't have a spray both but im using my storage (car size storage) to paint the jeep,  if you want when i finish with mine and you're ready to do some work on your rig let me know i will help you! more pictures tomorrow.....hoping to spray the base color on saturday!  ;)   
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 03:11:48 AM by nvrdun »

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 04:00:19 AM »
Thanks Calvyn
i do have all the tools to do the work! but i don't have a spray both but im using my storage (car size storage) to paint the jeep,  if you want when i finish with mine and you're ready to do some work on your rig let me know i will help you! more pictures tomorrow.....hoping to spray the base color on saturday!  ;)   
That would be great. Let me get this work done this weekend and we'll see when I can do it.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 04:46:20 AM »
What color would you go with roger? or same? btw really looking forward to learning how to do the SYE and axle swap at the wrenching party. Having a clue about that stuff will come in hand when i do my rig.
W.O.J.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 05:09:13 AM »
What color would you go with roger? or same? btw really looking forward to learning how to do the SYE and axle swap at the wrenching party. Having a clue about that stuff will come in hand when i do my rig.

I'll stay with the same color with the silver colored two tone that I've started. I've switched out axles and put lockers in axles, but I've never done a SYE either.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 08:39:51 AM »

I'll stay with the same color with the silver colored two tone that I've started. I've switched out axles and put lockers in axles, but I've never done a SYE either.

This will be my 3rd SYE, but my first in an XJ.  The key is a Heavy Duty set of snap ring pliers and a little patience with the PITA snap rings.  It was a little intimidating the fisrt time, but not a big deal.  With some luck this axle swap will go a little faster then mine.  Mine was a lot of custom work that seemed to lead to more custom work.  This should be a cut out and bolt in.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 01:45:55 PM »
Kirk, I'm thinking we can have the axle out and the new one installed in a couple hours as long as the spring eyelet bolts don't give us too much trouble. The new one should just bolt right up into place.
1994 YJ on 37s

PaulW

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 11:33:01 PM »

This will be my 3rd SYE, but my first in an XJ.  The key is a Heavy Duty set of snap ring pliers and a little patience with the PITA snap rings.  It was a little intimidating the fisrt time, but not a big deal.  With some luck this axle swap will go a little faster then mine.  Mine was a lot of custom work that seemed to lead to more custom work.  This should be a cut out and bolt in.

I have THE snap-ring pliers for that. If anyone needs to borrow em let me know.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 12:19:03 AM »

Did you say somewere you bought a front bumper? was curious what you ended up going with
W.O.J.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 12:28:43 AM »

Did you say somewere you bought a front bumper? was curious what you ended up going with

I primed and painted the bumper today so I will have it with me tomorrow. It's drying out in the back yard right now. If we finish in time we can install it tomorrow also. If we have enough guys we may even be able to have someone work on removing the front bumper while the others are working on the transfer case and rear axle swap. I was going to wait and have a winch plate welded to it before I even put it on the XJ, but I probably won't be able to get a winch for another year and I didn't want it to rust in the basement since it was still in bare metal.
1994 YJ on 37s

PaulW

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 12:34:03 AM »

I primed and painted the bumper today so I will have it with me tomorrow. It's drying out in the back yard right now. If we finish in time we can install it tomorrow also. If we have enough guys we may even be able to have someone work on removing the front bumper while the others are working on the transfer case and rear axle swap. I was going to wait and have a winch plate welded to it before I even put it on the XJ, but I probably won't be able to get a winch for another year and I didn't want it to rust in the basement since it was still in bare metal.

You can always just add the winch plate after.

PaulW

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 12:34:56 AM »
Thanks Calvyn

I thought you were going to put up a paint booth between the houses?