Author Topic: Cruise Night Pic  (Read 7676 times)

PaulW

Re: Cruise Night Pic
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 01:47:02 AM »
lol right there. crazy ideas. but yours is just a trail truck. mine still has to be able to drive me home and around town.

i think i'm going to get the xj next weekend.

Offline Sandbox Sailor

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 04:07:54 AM »
If you drive an XJ, the best company i recommend you through is rough country.  They're a good name in wheelin, and they're prices are pretty much unbeatable.  Remember, Go big now, or you might go crazy trying to upgrade later

http://roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_4.html

http://roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_6x.html

Ok, so these prices are unbeatable. Go for it, before you end up spending the money on something like a ring for some girl ;D

If you go with Rough Country and you go with the 6" kit, I recommend some control arm drop brackets like Calvinandhobbs has. I have seen a guy with a TJ use the rough country short arm 6" kit and the angles are VERY steep. He ended up ripping mounts off of his frame and axle because of the steep angles on a 6" short arm kit.

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 04:30:09 AM »
i don't think im going to go that hi since its my everyday driver. and i mean.. the rusty's 3 in is only 265 and the 4.5 is alot more expensive. doesn't seem like it's worth it for like the extra 2 inches maybe from the tires and everything.
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

nvrdun

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 02:12:34 AM »
i don't think im going to go that hi since its my everyday driver. and i mean.. the rusty's 3 in is only 265 and the 4.5 is alot more expensive. doesn't seem like it's worth it for like the extra 2 inches maybe from the tires and everything.

4.5 is alot more expensive. doesn't seem like it's worth it for like the extra 2 inches maybe from the tires and everything.
 :) if you are goin to spend $$$ do it right the first time so you dont waste your $$$. i think the 4.5 should be fine for trails and the roads plus i'd give the option to run bigger tires (Future). so think about it  ;D

PaulW

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 03:07:18 AM »

i've owned 7 xj's  call me BEFORE u buy a kit.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 03:28:42 AM »

4.5 is alot more expensive. doesn't seem like it's worth it for like the extra 2 inches maybe from the tires and everything.
 :) if you are goin to spend $$$ do it right the first time so you dont waste your $$$. i think the 4.5 should be fine for trails and the roads plus i'd give the option to run bigger tires (Future). so think about it  ;D

The biggest difference between the 3" and 4.5" is that you then have to go with a SYE and usually full springs. You can always go 3" with 3" leaves to begin with and then add a 2" spacer for the front and 2" lift shackle for the rear along with the SYE later to go to 5". This is the way mine has been built. It is more expensive this way, but you get to learn your vehicle while it's more stockish so that when it grows you can still handle it.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2009, 03:42:06 AM »
What Roger just said is excactly were I'm at. Already have it all planned out for 5 inches from 3. But it is definetly more expensive this way. Not looking forward to doing a hack n tap SYE either, because I have a 242 TC, so they dont make a kit for it :(. I'm pretty sure you have the 231 Reptile so that should be easier on you.
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2009, 04:04:07 AM »
i see i see. ok. so i should save up for the 4.5 inch. now there are alot of xtra things on there that they recommend with the kit. what all should i get with it?
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

PaulW

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2009, 01:16:43 PM »
i see i see. ok. so i should save up for the 4.5 inch. now there are alot of xtra things on there that they recommend with the kit. what all should i get with it?

Shocks, full leaf packs, extended brake lines, adjustable trac bar, sway bar disco's, dropped pitman arm, t-case lower brackets until you can afford the sye, anything i forgot??

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2009, 06:20:31 PM »
well it's talking about control arm drop kits, steering stabilizers, and shock boots. do i need any of those?
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2009, 06:39:26 PM »
You technically don't need control arm drop brackets or long arms until you are up over 6" of lift. They do smooth the ride out though and put your geometry back to stock. Some lift shocks will come with the boots and you're going to need shocks anyway so it's easiest to just add the boots at that time. Boots really aren't needed. They are just to help keep some of the debris out of the shock. If you keep your factory steering you will want a steering stabilizer to help with some of the bump steer. I think most XJs come with factory steering stabilizers so as long as yours is in good shape that may be good enough.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2009, 08:26:22 PM »
ok. and you also said just to go ahead and get all new leafs?
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2009, 09:12:29 PM »

Your leafs are too far gone for an add-a-leaf to do any good. You will need new leaf spring packs, which is usually one of the bigger expenses in a lift since a lot of people go with lift shackles and add-a-leafs for going up 3-4".
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2009, 10:47:32 PM »

Your leafs are too far gone for an add-a-leaf to do any good. You will need new leaf spring packs, which is usually one of the bigger expenses in a lift since a lot of people go with lift shackles and add-a-leafs for going up 3-4".

They dont have to be brand new. I used some that were in good shape off of a 99 that was totaled and used the add a leaf with that. Check the salvage yards, may be cheaper that way. I think I payed $55 for each leaf pack vs $200 each brand new. But if you can get a full leaf pack lift kit for cheaper then doing the add a leaf with used spring packs, then obviosly go for it. You have to get something better under there though, you might ass well just put a 2x4 under there the way you are right now lol.
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

PaulW

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2009, 03:13:12 AM »
the full spring packs are the way to go.  my 4.5 rustys leaves actually brought the rear up about 5.25" but after about 10k miles settled to 4.75 which is right where i wanted it.  but ya your leaves are way to far gone to try to rebuild.  just save the $ up and buy the full leaves.  control arm drop brackets aren't needed if the kit has adjustable lower control arms.  you should try to get all 4 aftermarket control arms if you can.  the uppers are flimsy stamped steel and will bend and break very easily