Author Topic: Basic maintenance on Inga...  (Read 2972 times)

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
Basic maintenance on Inga...
« on: March 18, 2009, 01:43:43 AM »
So Saturday, I'm going to the hobby shop to do some basic maintenance on JD's Jeep, change the oil, replace the Super Flex joints on her control arms, change the oil in the t-case and transmission, etc... So I called Napa and asked about the price for the 3 quarts of Tranny oil and the guy tells me he doesn't carry it??? Tells me it's a dealer only item??? >:( Tranny fluid for f*cks sake??? >:( Dealer item??? >:( So I call them and find out it's $21 a friggin quart!  >:(  >:( What the hell??? Better be good stuff...So needless to say, I'm gonna do it anyway but damn!....

OK, I feel better.....Thanks for listening   ;D

Oh, if anyone feels like getting dirty, I could use an extra hand or two...

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
Re: Basic maintenance on Inga...
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 01:48:22 AM »
If you have the NV3550, you can use the Royal Purple stuff at Bumper to Bumper.  It's not cheap, but it's no where near $21 a quart!!!  I'll have to look and see if I have a little left over so I can tell you exactly which kind it is.  It is the right stuff, and better because it's RP!  ;D
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline phoenix

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 02:12:31 AM »
Ya, the wifes chrysler minivan is like that. ONLY atf +4 and the cheapest I have ever seen it is about $9 a quart.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 02:34:00 AM »
My AX-15 uses the same stuff at the NV3550, and I went through the same thing a few years ago.  Chevy makes the same thing for a few $$$ cheaper, but still about the same price as a good full synthetic like Royal Purple or Red Line.  I remember paying something like $12-$15 a quart.  Check out the latest issue of JP with their MJ build up, they are using the NV3550 and show a pic of oil they require.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 03:02:15 AM »
Wally world has started picking up factory brand oil and filters, check there, it's where i get the ford stuff for my wife's van, and it's cheaper then the regular oil!!

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 03:32:32 AM »
Man I love my taco!
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 04:08:20 AM »
If you have the NV3550, you can use the Royal Purple stuff at Bumper to Bumper.  It's not cheap, but it's no where near $21 a quart!!!  I'll have to look and see if I have a little left over so I can tell you exactly which kind it is.  It is the right stuff, and better because it's RP!  ;D

That sounds like a good idea...They have a club discount too huh? Thanks Justin!

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 03:09:55 PM »
I did a bit of research and you're referring to Syncromax for the Transmission oil right? I went straight to the Royal Purple website and found that they make a lube for just about everything that we need to change on our rigs! So I will be using RP to do it all.

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 06:22:48 PM »
Yup, that's the stuff.  I like it.

I win!

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 08:27:39 PM »
Ok, so Bumper to Bumper doesn't offer a club discount anymore??? I thought we got one last year, but maybe they changed it. Anyway, 5 quarts of fluids for the Jeep cost $66!!! 3 quarts of the syncromax and 2 quarts of the MAX atf for the t-case. Outrageous!

PaulW

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 11:44:51 PM »
Ok, so Bumper to Bumper doesn't offer a club discount anymore??? I thought we got one last year, but maybe they changed it. Anyway, 5 quarts of fluids for the Jeep cost $66!!! 3 quarts of the syncromax and 2 quarts of the MAX atf for the t-case. Outrageous!

still cheaper then dealer prices.

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 01:06:57 AM »
Does anyone close to Groton have one of those bottle pumps that fit on the top of an oil bottle?? It's going to be a PITA to fill the t-case and Tranny without one. If not i'm sure I'll manage but it would be nice to have...

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 01:25:23 AM »
I don't have a pump, but I do have a little thing that screws onto to top of a quart bottle and has a small plastic line to put into the hole. I picked it up at Walmart for just a couple bucks and haven't even used it yet. You can borrow it, but I leave for Michigan tomorrow morning so you'd have to come get it tonight.
1994 YJ on 37s

PaulW

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 01:57:54 AM »
Does anyone close to Groton have one of those bottle pumps that fit on the top of an oil bottle?? It's going to be a PITA to fill the t-case and Tranny without one. If not i'm sure I'll manage but it would be nice to have...

They're cheap at napa like 12 bucks or something like that.

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 02:17:13 AM »
I have one, Scott.  But Paul is right, they're pretty cheap at Advance Auto.  (10% military discount)

I win!