Author Topic: Wheel bearing  (Read 2343 times)

Offline zjorvis97

• Mudd Hog
Wheel bearing
« on: February 24, 2009, 01:17:17 AM »
Would anyone with experiance in replacing wheel bearings be able to help me at any time this week put a new one in my ZJ?

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: Wheel bearing
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 03:19:18 AM »
I have basketball and volleyball tomorrow night and church on Wednesday, but I can give you a hand on Thursday if you want. I've changed 5-6 of them in the past few years on my own Jeeps and on some friends. It won't take me long. Ask Jeremy.
1994 YJ on 37s

PaulW

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 03:20:09 AM »
Would anyone with experiance in replacing wheel bearings be able to help me at any time this week put a new one in my ZJ?

They're not to hard to replace, if you have a nice warm garage i'll come by.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 03:32:08 AM »

They are pretty easy. If you've never changed them hit the 3 bolts on the backside with some PB blaster or something for the next couple days. I have tools I can bring with me if you don't have a 12 point 13mm socket. A 6 point will not fit.
1994 YJ on 37s

PaulW

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 04:23:43 AM »

They are pretty easy. If you've never changed them hit the 3 bolts on the backside with some PB blaster or something for the next couple days. I have tools I can bring with me if you don't have a 12 point 13mm socket. A 6 point will not fit.

technically it's a 1/2" but 13 mm works also .

PaulW

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 04:38:37 AM »

don't forget the 36mm axle socket also.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 01:42:44 PM »

It's truly a 13mm, but a 1/2" can be substituted. I have not found a single standard size bolt on my XJ anywhere. Even the big suspension bolts for the control arms are 19mm heads. Every write up I've seen says 12 point 13mm, but a 12 point 1/2 can be substituted. Yes, you are right though in that he'll need the 36mm hub socket also.

Here's a quick write up somebody did.
http://www.nagca.com/grandtech/dana30wheelbearing.htm

« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 01:44:28 PM by calvynandhobbs »
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 03:12:09 PM »
I have the 36mm socket.  I should be home this evening.  I can go over the job with you, and explain how to do it.  It's very easy, with the exception of removing the bolts.
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline zjorvis97

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 07:11:32 PM »
I think i have all the tools i need, i had to get a 36 MM socket for something I did, don't remember what. If the wind dies down tomorrow I am going to try and do it then. Thanks for all the help.

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 08:49:42 PM »
Here ya go, Drew.  This is a pretty good write up on how to remove the unit bearing with some pics.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/unitbearing/unitbearing-1.htm
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

PaulW

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 11:20:38 PM »

It's truly a 13mm, but a 1/2" can be substituted. I have not found a single standard size bolt on my XJ anywhere. Even the big suspension bolts for the control arms are 19mm heads. Every write up I've seen says 12 point 13mm, but a 12 point 1/2 can be substituted. Yes, you are right though in that he'll need the 36mm hub socket also.

Here's a quick write up somebody did.
http://www.nagca.com/grandtech/dana30wheelbearing.htm

I've found that the 1/2 fits better the 13mm is a little loose.  but being a dana axle it predates metric sockets and in theory should be standard. as far as the control arm sockets being 19 mm   they're  a 3/4 socket :P  it depends upon the year.  when amc 1st started the xj's in 1984 they were still american size bolts throughout with some metric mixed in for fun.  over the years the motors and stuff and pieces on xj,s zj,s and tj,s have become more metric, but if you take a 4.0 apart it still uses 7/16 for the valve cover and i believe 11/16 for the heads.  metric can be used, but it's supposed to be standard.

Offline CaptORM

• Rock Crawler
    • JT 4X4
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 12:43:32 PM »
Sorry I cant help things have been crazy around here.  But i have replaced all 4 of mine and can give you assistance if neccesary. 

Dont forget to use lock tight. 

Can I have a few of the studs off your old hub??
I do cheeks for free just ask...

l  
 l _[==]__o___o
 l//_|__l__l,\___\,___
 l_--\__\__l_/---\_[] llll [)
  (o)_)        (o)_)--o)_)

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee
6.5" lift, 33's

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 03:05:58 AM »