Author Topic: Broke Strut Mount, AGAIN!!!!  (Read 1645 times)

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
Broke Strut Mount, AGAIN!!!!
« on: February 14, 2009, 01:45:52 AM »
So I drove the wife's Liberty for the first time in weeks and the first bump I hit, it sounds like the wheel is going to fall off.  I get out and look, and the strut has ripped out of the upper mount, AGAIN.  I have already replaced both the driver and passenger sides once.  The passenger side was done about 2 years ago, and I just did the drivers side when I got back from deployment last summer.  When I did the drivers side, I noticed that Monroe has changed the original set up, and added a big thick washer for the top nut on the strut to prevent this from happening.  I ordered a new mount for the passenger side today, but I have to wait until Monday morning for it to come it.  It shouldn't take more then a few hours, but it is still a pain the the a$$. 

Apparently this is a very common problem on the Liberty, and when you add a 2" lift and 31's, it compounds a poor design.  I just hope the strut isn't damaged.  It looked to still be ok, but I'll have to wait until I get it apart.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
Re: Broke Strut Mount, AGAIN!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 01:59:51 AM »
That sucks...   
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 12:24:15 AM »
I wheeled the Liberty in the garage, and in less then 15 minutes I had the old strut and spring out.  I am getting pretty good at replacing these strut mounts, which is pretty sad.  The good news was that the strut was ok, with only the top of it a little mashed up.  30 seconds with the bench grinder and the top was a good as new.  Now I just have to wait until 0730 Monday morning for the mount to arrive.  Until then my wife is running around in my beater Jetta and hoping no one she knows sees her ;)

The Liberty has also had the Small & Large evap leak check engine light for a while now.  I replaced all rubber hose under the hood, but the code kept coming back.  While I had the Jeep in the air I got on my creeper and followed the hoses all the way back to the gas tank.  I found two more sections of hose that were in much worse condition then the ones under the hood, so I think I found the problem.  One piece was the same size and the stuff under the hood so I had some hose to replace it, but the other piece was bigger so I need to go buy a few inches of hose. 

I'll also change the oil and filter, and the Liberty will hopefully be a good to go for a while longer.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 01:49:06 AM »
the Liberty will hopefully be a good to go for a while longer.

Has all this mess with the strut mount got you guys thinking about replacing it?  If so, do you already have anything in mind?  Perhaps an Unlimited Rubi?  ::)

;D
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline BayouGold

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 04:09:14 AM »
i wish i had a shop! or at least a garage.
'01 TJ 60th Anniversary Edition

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 06:09:00 AM »

Dude, just call me!
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

PaulW

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 02:15:13 PM »

x2 i have access to about 5 shops in different area of the state if you ever want a hand let me know and i'll try to set something up.

Offline Swagger

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 11:53:14 PM »
While I had the Jeep in the air I got on my creeper and followed the hoses all the way back to the gas tank.  I found two more sections of hose that were in much worse condition then the ones under the hood, so I think I found the problem.  One piece was the same size and the stuff under the hood so I had some hose to replace it, but the other piece was bigger so I need to go buy a few inches of hose. 

Is this Fuel line?  If so, you used fuel compatible, high pressure line right.  If you didnt, the gas will eat through the rubber from the inside out and at the same time, will gunk up, and permanatley screw up your fuel injection system requiring the replacement of injectors, regulator, etc.   just some insight.
FOR SALE:  2000 TJ with some stuff and uber low mileage.  $9500 obo. Come to Texas and buy my junk!!!

I like to smash things!!!!

PaulW

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 01:40:37 AM »
While I had the Jeep in the air I got on my creeper and followed the hoses all the way back to the gas tank.  I found two more sections of hose that were in much worse condition then the ones under the hood, so I think I found the problem.  One piece was the same size and the stuff under the hood so I had some hose to replace it, but the other piece was bigger so I need to go buy a few inches of hose. 

Is this Fuel line?  If so, you used fuel compatible, high pressure line right.  If you didnt, the gas will eat through the rubber from the inside out and at the same time, will gunk up, and permanatley screw up your fuel injection system requiring the replacement of injectors, regulator, etc.   just some insight.

it might be.  put up some pics and i'll let you know for sure.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 10:48:33 PM »
Yes the lines can ahndle the fuel vapors, verified it when I bought the hose from auto zone.  As far as getting rid of the Liberty, not anytime soon.  We just had to replace a washing machine, my laptop, and the real kick a new bioler ( $8K for parts and labor), so the Liberty has to last a little while longer.  We just took it on a trip to NH and it worked great.  We are talking about getting something bigger like a Tahoe or Expedition in the next few years.  Jeep needs to make some thing bigger and the Commander doesn't count. :(
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT