Author Topic: Rock Crawl competition  (Read 10158 times)

cj-nh

Re: Rock Crawl competition
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2008, 01:38:21 AM »
I have not read this whole thread but here is the basics I know about chain vs. Straps.

Recovery straps are specifically designed to stretch and recoil,(Different from a rated lifting strap) which makes for a smoother better pull and removes stress on the vehicles since it has "give". 

I have never wheeled with a club that allows chain on their trail rides.  I broken strap doesn't render any serious injury.  I broken chain would cause lots of injury to person and vehicles.

Chains are definitely not allowed on the competition circuit.  IOn top of it, most semi-pro type competitions only allow synthetic line winches.  They are very safety focused.

Last note, a winch weight is a line weight.  It can be a sand filled bag (kind of shaped like a sadlebag) or a giant plastic puck that is on line(like a donut).

« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 01:43:49 AM by cj-nh »

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2008, 03:50:13 PM »
well, i have used both.

chain for towing/pulling.

strap for snatch/yanking.

i think common sence needs to be applied for every occasion, but i'd rather the strap stretch less/instead off my frame, i am stuck in the mud.

agreeing to disagree is ok too boys.

Offline Gastank

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
  • HORSEPOWER: A TIRE BURNING GOOD TIME!
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2008, 06:15:51 PM »
well, i have used both.

chain for towing/pulling.

strap for snatch/yanking.

i think common sence needs to be applied for every occasion, but i'd rather the strap stretch less/instead off my frame, i am stuck in the mud.

agreeing to disagree is ok too boys.

concur....

Obviously the Farm Boys (even though we heard nothing from Doball on this one) agree that they would rather have a chain...
Personal preference. I know that hooking a tractor to a broke down combine (Glidden)... I'm not going to trust a nylon/poly strap... I'll go out to the barn and find the biggest damn chain I can find.
91 YJ, 350cid/TH400/231 4.5 RE springs, 2" Bonz shackles, 33/12.5/15 MT baja claws, and lock-rite in the rear.
"But it is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation." - Herman Melville

Offline Kral4me

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2008, 06:41:27 PM »
Personal preference. I know that hooking a tractor to a broke down combine (Glidden)... I'm not going to trust a nylon/poly strap... I'll go out to the barn and find the biggest damn chain I can find.

That just struck me as friggin hilarious for some reason....I haven't seen a combine in years...sweet. Thanks for the memories Brad LOL!

In that case...I think even I (for all of my stuck up and strap snob nature) would use a chain!  :P ;) :-*
~J.D.~
"When life gets too hard to stand....crawl."

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2008, 07:29:51 PM »

That just struck me as friggin hilarious for some reason....I haven't seen a combine in years...sweet. Thanks for the memories Brad LOL!

You havn't?  I guess w/ me living out in the farm country i see more of that.  They use them to harvest the corn out here
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2008, 07:35:49 PM »
then slop the hog's, and rastle up the chickens for the eggs and chop wood for the dinner fire.

what a good life. seriously. i'd like a farm.

for all that wheeling land!!!

sorry for hijack

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2008, 07:45:28 PM »
there's a working farm in my backyard.

mostly corn though, some other veggies, and I think he just got into chickens and is talking about pigs, but nothing too huge yet.
1988 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 4.0, TF-999, NP-231, Dana 30 Truetrac, Dana 44 Detroit Locker, 4.88s, on 35"s

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2008, 08:03:58 PM »
wifes grandfather has a farm in maine. beautiful.

Offline reg

• Trail Master
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2008, 10:43:36 PM »

Obviously the Farm Boys (even though we heard nothing from Doball on this one) agree that they would rather have a chain...
Personal preference. I know that hooking a tractor to a broke down combine (Glidden)...

ahhhhhhh... early in the morning headed to work, driving with the sunrise behind me, when over the horizon, the shiny gleaner comes over the hill just enough to reflect the rays to catch your eye.  you know that guy has been out there all night, making his money, tired and uncomfortable, but rain clouds are gathering and he knows he has to push another 6 hours or he'll have to wait another week to finish the cut.   AND THE POOR GUY STILL WAVES AT YOU WHEN YOU DRIVE BY!!!

damn i want to go home.
how is this for 'flex'?   ;D

Offline Kral4me

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2008, 11:58:05 PM »
 :o Man those things are huge....

(I edited cause I used the wrong smiley face LOL...)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 12:04:16 AM by Kral4me »
~J.D.~
"When life gets too hard to stand....crawl."

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2008, 12:03:11 AM »
sweet

Offline reg

• Trail Master
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2008, 12:18:38 AM »