Author Topic: Drag link bent down.....how did that happen?  (Read 2002 times)

Offline Magnum Opus

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Queen
Drag link bent down.....how did that happen?
« on: December 08, 2015, 03:25:00 PM »
I am investigating a mild case of Death Wobble.  I was pretty sure it was due to a tweaked tie-rod since it continued after I swapped and relocated the steering stabilizer.  I noticed that all the joints from pitman arm down were kinda goofy with no flex on the suspension and the wheels straight....and the drag link looked bent down.  I would have expected if anything it would have been bent up....weird.  I have a tie-rod and a drag link in the wish list, but was wondering if anyone else had seen anything like this.  My first thought is that when my stabilizer crossed over into the spirit world I could not turn right.....maybe I bent the drag link then?  I would like to understand the physics of this one so I can properly prevent reoccurance!
     Going with Synergy replacement parts (eventually) any experience with those?

Offline JKSue

• Paid Members
  • Rock Crawler
Re: Drag link bent down.....how did that happen?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 04:43:54 PM »
I have the Synergy tie rod & drag link (& ball joints because that's what was causing my little bit of wobble).  I don't remember what your set up is, but there are a few things to keep in mind with the drag link if you have a high steer kit - I needed an adapter because of the drag link flip & the already reamed hole & that was a PITA.  Synergy doesn't make the old tapered adapter anymore & the new one they sell didn't work for me.  I finally found the old one at Northridge & I was all set.  People also have issues with 15 in wheels - if you have 16s with 4 3/4 backspace or less it's not a problem.  I think all this is listed on Synergys website, probably worth a check.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 04:45:42 PM by JKSue »

Offline Magnum Opus

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Queen
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 05:18:23 PM »
RGR and thank you Sue!  I am going after the Tie Rod first, and might try to get it groomed in with an allignment before that (burned up all my Christmas money fixing body damage!).  All in all it is not terrible, but I know it will get worse if I do not chase it down. 

Offline JKSue

• Paid Members
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 05:30:21 PM »
Good luck, I'm sure someone else (ok, anyone really) can help you better than me with diagnosing some wobble, but what I've learned from my issues:

If it's TRUE DW, like you crap your pants & it only stops when you come to a stop wobble, it's most likely gonna be the trackbar.  Check the bolts, make sure the holes aren't torn up or ovaled out.

If it's just a little wobble here & there, like mine was, check out this mega DW thread - if you have the patience to go through it, you will find the problem.  http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/diagnosing-death-wobble-and-fixing-non-dw-shimmies-and-wobbles-78034.html

But easy to start with: check your ball joints, mine were completely shot with 20k on it & 35s.  Also make sure your tires are balanced, can't do much with an alignment on the JKs except adjust the toe, but it's nice to know the numbers.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 05:38:56 PM by JKSue »

Offline Magnum Opus

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Queen
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 05:56:17 PM »
Good call on the balancing....didn't even think about maybe throwing a weight.  Also wobble is pretty mild, still going after big parts, but I think it just needs a tweak or two.  Gonna check the link when I get home.  Work comp system has that sight blocked.....they just take all the fun out of life.

Offline Magnum Opus

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Queen
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 09:10:19 PM »
Finally!  Death wobble cured!  Installed the synergy tie rod.  My front yard alignment post install left the tires aiming at both the ditches so bad that the traction control engaged at about 30 mph.  I decided to take it to a shop and let a professional handle it.  He said my drag link was junk and would not warranty the alignment, so I suppose the synergy drag link is next on the shopping list!

Offline Magnum Opus

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Queen
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 03:19:40 AM »
Synergy Drag link installed!  Thank God GM one ton TRE's are easy to find!  I busted a boot putting it in!  Hopefully alignment tomorrow, but not at Midas!  BTW, the Wayalife forum has a great write up on backyard DIY alignments that is very informative on JK alignment specs and geometry.  I am too chicken to try it myself right now, but is a good resource to decide if you need adjustable LCA's and track bars etc.  Hopefully when I look at the data from tomorrows alignment I can use it for the next step if necessary!