Author Topic: Water in 32rh trans  (Read 4127 times)

Offline Mayhem

• BANNED
  • Rock Crawler
Water in 32rh trans
« on: August 13, 2014, 06:42:05 PM »
When I high centered and got stuck in the water after Ford Pond on Old Florida Road, I think my transmission ingested some water. It has since started acting crazy.  Not shifting properly.  The fluid still looks normal and the trans only has 53k on it.  Thinking the best thing to do is get a full trans flush and a new filter.  Normally, I would lean toward a drain and fill with a new filter.  But in this case I want to ensure all fluid is replaced, including whats in the converter and the cooler.
That being said, what are you guys opinions on this?
And can anyone recommend a good place to have this done?
Greg
Model Citizen

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
Re: Water in 32rh trans
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 06:52:08 PM »
I'm sure any trans shop can do a compleat flush.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline Mayhem

• BANNED
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 07:21:24 PM »
Worth going to the dealer, Bob?
Greg
Model Citizen

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 06:15:10 PM »

I think a tranny shop would be cheaper, but best to call and ask both
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 11:37:26 AM »

Don't go to a Dealer. Like Rock said. Call a few tranny shops. Tell them your situation and what you would like them to do so to get a price.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline JKJon

• Paid Members
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 12:57:37 PM »
Call Joel at Stop and Go transmission in Groton. Tell him you are from the club. Jim sent me there for my gears and stuff. Great guy, reasonable price, and stood by his work even when it was uncertain if it was there fault or not.

Offline 98xj

• Mudd Hog
  • 98 Cherokee 4.5in on 33's
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 03:25:11 PM »
When I high centered and got stuck in the water after Ford Pond on Old Florida Road, I think my transmission ingested some water. It has since started acting crazy.  Not shifting properly.  The fluid still looks normal and the trans only has 53k on it.  Thinking the best thing to do is get a full trans flush and a new filter.  Normally, I would lean toward a drain and fill with a new filter.  But in this case I want to ensure all fluid is replaced, including whats in the converter and the cooler.
That being said, what are you guys opinions on this?
And can anyone recommend a good place to have this done?

We've got Transmission Works down this way in New Britain, little far but they're the go-to place for the area.  Just shooting ideas.

Offline moparts

• BOD
  • Mudd Hog
    • moparts
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 03:46:28 AM »
If the fluid still looks normal then there is not water in it.

Water would make the fluid look like a pink milkshake
---------------------
Tom Frysinger

83 CJ7 Alum Tub, 5.2, Auto

Offline Mayhem

• BANNED
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 04:19:33 AM »
If the fluid still looks normal then there is not water in it.

Water would make the fluid look like a pink milkshake
This would be noticeable on the dipstick?
Greg
Model Citizen

Offline moparts

• BOD
  • Mudd Hog
    • moparts
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 12:15:17 PM »
Yes. And it would be over full

How does the fluid smell. Any burned smell?

Either way first step is fluid and filter change
---------------------
Tom Frysinger

83 CJ7 Alum Tub, 5.2, Auto

Offline DirtyJeep92

• Paid Members
  • Rock Crawler
  • 96 XJ HP44/9" 37s chopped caged.
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 12:28:26 PM »
Update! Greg came over my house we dropped the pan and and filter down. Turns out no real appearrnce of water got inside but the filter was clogged something fierce. And metal shavings appeared on the filter as well, Not like fresh diff rebuild, big flakes. more gunk and grime at the bottom of the pan. Cleaned it all up reassembled with new filter, gasket, and atf+4 took for a test drive/ beat down no problems. Hopefully it stays that way
ED 2

Offline 98xj

• Mudd Hog
  • 98 Cherokee 4.5in on 33's
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 02:48:00 PM »
Good to hear!

Offline Mayhem

• BANNED
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 08:23:03 PM »
Update! Greg came over my house we dropped the pan and and filter down. Turns out no real appearrnce of water got inside but the filter was clogged something fierce. And metal shavings appeared on the filter as well, Not like fresh diff rebuild, big flakes. more gunk and grime at the bottom of the pan. Cleaned it all up reassembled with new filter, gasket, and atf+4 took for a test drive/ beat down no problems. Hopefully it stays that way

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Ed!   
Seems to be working fine still.
Greg
Model Citizen

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 11:46:10 PM »
If there is enough debris to clog filter then there is some serious wear in the trans. Can't Imagine it's going to last much longer.

Offline DirtyJeep92

• Paid Members
  • Rock Crawler
  • 96 XJ HP44/9" 37s chopped caged.
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 07:33:50 AM »
The filter was absolutely cakes in dirt. Like and oiled air filter dropped into a sand bucket haha
ED 2