Author Topic: Nervous Tick  (Read 1749 times)

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
Nervous Tick
« on: May 17, 2013, 06:57:10 PM »
For those of you who are not familiar with my jeep it is an 06 TJ. Lately I have been hearing a "Tick" coming from under my jeep while moving.  It only occurs while I am moving and only while I am while I am in either neutral or have the clutch pedal pushed in.  It will occur sometimes if I am gliding (it is in gear but my momentum is greater than that of the gear I am currently in. In other words, the transmission or not under load)  I am hoping it is just the clutch but I fear it my be the transfer case.  If I put it in 4WD it is less likely to occur.  Any ideas?

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
Re: Nervous Tick
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 07:21:14 PM »
slack in the chain in the tcase maybe
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 07:22:17 PM »
is it just a tick or is it a continuous ticking? this is hard to diagnose without actually hearing it. a tick usually comes from a u-joint in the driveshaft, or the front axle
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 09:16:51 AM »
It is a continuous tick as long as I am coasting. If I apply power it goes away.  I was thinking maybe a bearing.  I am going to have to get it up on jacks and listen to it.

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 09:17:47 AM »
The tick speeds up as I accelerate

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 02:00:33 PM »
The tick speeds up as I accelerate

But if you're accelerating you're applying power and you state above that the tick goes away when applying power. It is only when coasting. Could be a rear draftshaft. It's been years ago, but had a CJ7 that started to tick that turned into a bang. Only did it coasting to a stop at corners. When power was applied it went away. Had my rear draftshaft drop. My guess was that as long as their was torque to it under acceleration or using trans to brake it stayed tight, but when coasting there was no pressure and my ujoint was failing.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 11:12:03 PM »
What I meant was that the faster the vehicle is moving the faster the clicking is.  This occurs when I push in the clutch not under load.