Author Topic: 1982 CJ7  (Read 26100 times)

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
Re: 1982 CJ7
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2011, 08:21:01 PM »
should i do a SOA conversion or just lift it? im reading alot of mixed reviews on it because it makes it kinda unsafe and ride like crap afterwards

wtf did i build and i drove it from florida to illinios it is not unsafe just ditch the cj springs for some stock yj springs or even some waggy springs bring it to me and i will hook you up it will take about a month to build and year for testing

your crazy. but yeah i forgot u did yours. maybe i'll find somebody around who can do it but as of right now idk what im gonna do. wanna get it mechanically sound first  ;D but i did read about the YJ springs which i did plan on doing if i do it. i honestly think im going to do the lift and tires last.
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 08:25:19 PM »
the current goals and wants as of right now are as follows:
hi-fender tube fenders (probably from gen right)
corner crushers (idk if im going to do steel or aluminum but more than likely also from gen right)
poison spyder BFH stubby bumper (same one from the LJ)
LOD rear bumper/tire carrier (close to the same from the LJ but also has 2 jerry can mounts and a basket thats ontop of the tire)
Poison spyder sliders
winch (what lb should i get?)
rusty's HD tie rod and drag link
steering box brace (who makes a good one?)
suspension seats w/ 4 point harnesses
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 09:02:10 PM by reptile610 »
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 12:50:11 PM »
Living in Preston. Call me if you're going wheeling!

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 09:04:27 PM »
your crazy

so your point is

let me build it i got lots of parts laying around to put a bad a$$ cj together you will like it i can take care of all the reliability issues as well and make it so you can drive it (aka put in an auto) i got a sbc th400 np205 combo just sitting here and i know where to find some rockwells
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2011, 10:56:54 PM »
your crazy

so your point is

let me build it i got lots of parts laying around to put a bad a$$ cj together you will like it i can take care of all the reliability issues as well and make it so you can drive it (aka put in an auto) i got a sbc th400 np205 combo just sitting here and i know where to find some rockwells

you still living in Illinois? maybe you should come stop by one day. as of right now im gonna get it mechanically sound. replacing all the vacuum lines next weekend followed by a new radiator, hoses, and thermostat. then possibly the electrical nightmare. i don't have your number anymore though so text me sometime so we can argue about this more efficiently.
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2011, 07:03:47 AM »
your crazy

so your point is

you still living in Illinois? maybe you should come stop by one day. as of right now im gonna get it mechanically sound. replacing all the vacuum lines next weekend followed by a new radiator, hoses, and thermostat. then possibly the electrical nightmare. i don't have your number anymore though so text me sometime so we can argue about this more efficiently.

yes i am still in illinios

i just might swing by or mabey we could meet up on the trail there are a couple of decent parks half way between us

how do you loose my number twice i will text you the next time i have a doug moment
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2011, 11:44:08 PM »
 [/quote]

yes i am still in illinios

i just might swing by or mabey we could meet up on the trail there are a couple of decent parks half way between us

how do you loose my number twice i will text you the next time i have a doug moment
[/quote]

got a new phone. im sure we could meet somewhere but i doubt this pig will be ready anytime soon. im trying to balance it between working 60 hours a week and school. which works out cause i can save money in the mean time  ;D
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2011, 09:32:50 PM »
just bought all new vacuum hoses and both belts yesterday, putting them on tonight/tomorrow.
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2011, 06:52:10 AM »
just bought all new vacuum hoses and both belts yesterday, putting them on tonight/tomorrow.

how did that turn out for you

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2011, 12:46:12 AM »
an 8000 lb winch is plenty for the CJ.
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2011, 01:20:07 AM »
an 8000 lb winch is plenty for the CJ.

sweet. i had a smittybuilt before but never had to use it so might just get another one.
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2011, 02:37:06 AM »
belts replaced, and vacuum lines all done. moving onto the trans next weekend. think either the clutch is gone or the linkage isn't connected. it grinds when i push the clutch pedal in even when in neutral so im not sure.
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2011, 07:32:55 PM »
got the skid plate/ cross member off today because i couldn't resist anymore  ;D when you push the clutch in i can see the linkage move where it goes into the transmission. it grinds when you push it in even when in neutral. any ideas?
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2011, 07:53:58 PM »
progress so far

i have no idea wtf was in the back but it was rubbery and looked melted on. about 3/4 of it scrapped out so far. a hammer and chisel worked great  ;D

took off the skid plate/ cross member. after this i realized that this is the only way the transmission/ transfer case is held up so i put a jack underneath it to support it instead of the engine mounts.

was hoping one of you guys could tell me what type of rear axle this is? i can't find any markings on either axles, transfer case, or transmission.

this is the front axle

also if you guys look at the way my leaf springs sit they seem to sag off to the passenger side. also if you look closely i don't have a track bar. anybody know if i should? i don't see a mounting bracket anywhere for it.

rear view of my transfer case

front view

probably the best picture i can get of my transmission. doubt it will help
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2011, 01:25:50 AM »
From the pics I can tell you that you have a stock D30 front axle and an AMC 20 in the rear. If you have the 4 spd manual trans it is probably the T4 since that is the most common, but some did come with a T176, which has a little lower first gear ratio.
1994 YJ on 37s