Author Topic: zj check engine light after running  (Read 2394 times)

Offline GreenGrandV8

• Mudd Hog
  • good ol jeep
zj check engine light after running
« on: December 17, 2010, 04:51:23 AM »
my 93 zj has the new tranny in it now. i couldnt do it because i was in the hospitol for a long time, luckily my bro and my buddy changed it for me. runs good but now when you start it there is no check engine light, but after it runs for like 10 minutes or so it comes on.. had nyone ever had that happen???? maybe have an idea whats doin it like that?? thanks
LOW RIDERS ARE FOR GUYS WHO CANT GET IT UP! oh ya

Offline zjchef25

• Rock Crawler
Re: zj check engine light after running
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 06:22:58 PM »
umm... take it to autozone and have them run a diagnostic on it. if the check engine light is off when its not running but turns on when the engine is running it should still throw a code. my jetta does it and my bosses jeep was doing. he had 4 codes but no check engine light. so yea take it to autozone they do it for free

Offline GreenGrandV8

• Mudd Hog
  • good ol jeep
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 11:06:00 PM »
yeah im sure i will. hows your zj?? i love mine i got the new tranny in it, the 5.2 tranny isnt easy i guess. and i got new new bfg mud terrain km2 33"s on it and i have a winch and the winch bumper i have to put on, the rock sliders need to be put on, new t'case novac shifter and both new differencial covers, lots of money but its all fun, i like our jeeps cause theres not a hole lot with the lift and other

Offline zjchef25

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 07:03:20 AM »
my zj is awesome just put it up to 5.5 still on 31's cuz 33's are expensive... other than the sliders coming in i cant complain its dandy lol

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 03:37:16 AM »
my 93 zj has the new tranny in it now. i couldnt do it because i was in the hospitol for a long time, luckily my bro and my buddy changed it for me. runs good but now when you start it there is no check engine light, but after it runs for like 10 minutes or so it comes on.. had nyone ever had that happen???? maybe have an idea whats doin it like that?? thanks

My guess would be a vacuum leak in the Evap system.  My wifes Liberty and my XJ both have had the evap leak code.  In both cases I replaced each piece of rubber in the system from front to back and both times it fixed the problem.  If this is the case, just make sure you get rubber that is safe foe gas fumes.  I needed 3 differnt sizes and it was only about $5 and a half hours worth of work.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 11:19:52 PM »
Get auto zone to check the codes it is a problem going into closed loop an evap code would come as soon as the engine was running
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline GreenGrandV8

• Mudd Hog
  • good ol jeep
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 11:42:04 PM »
yeah i drove her toady for a bit and i didnt get a check engine, maybe i was gettin it cuz i didnt run for a while cuz i had the bad tranny maybe it over it now, bit  did get the damn death wobble. i cannot go on the highway and it suck and if i drivin i hav to dodge bumps

Offline zjchef25

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 02:22:09 AM »
we should get together this week and i can check it out if youd like

Offline GreenGrandV8

• Mudd Hog
  • good ol jeep
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 10:29:40 PM »
yeah maybe next week if you have time or anything. how do you think the chances of figurin it out will be??? how far from me do you live?? i live in canterbury. i got a few trails out back to that i made for the 4wheeler and the jeep. nothin to serious but fun

Offline zjchef25

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 02:46:34 AM »
i live in waterford, we can work something out man... as for the jeep part... that was ironically the part i needed but i might snag the doors im doing a cool little half door thing, same thing as andy..

Offline GreenGrandV8

• Mudd Hog
  • good ol jeep
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 12:30:22 AM »
im sure we can figure somethin out. it would be cool if your zj will make it up here though so i can check it out and maybe we can use them a little bit. theres all kinds of places around here besides my woods, theres a couple good places with good hills and usually some good mud

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 01:04:19 AM »
If you can get your heep, er, i mean Jeep (lol) to my place, i've got an OBD II diagnostic tool.  It reads all paramiters real time, can look at stored codes, etc, etc.  I can even load the software on a laptop and watch/record a drive to find those intermitant faults.  I'm working from home all week (well, off on Fri), so PM me if interested
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline GreenGrandV8

• Mudd Hog
  • good ol jeep
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 04:23:14 AM »
thanks man but the jeep did that a few times and now it doesnt come on anymore. probably cause the tranny got changed and didnt run for a while so that might have messed with it. i drove it a lot since we got the snow and no check engine. that good for me i guess. i love my zj i just pissed about the death wobble. but im thinkin maybe the passenger side ball joint. ive been hearin a lot of clunkin over there while drivin

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 01:54:10 PM »
Ball joints don't clunk probably a unit bearing if it sat for awhile
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline GreenGrandV8

• Mudd Hog
  • good ol jeep
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2010, 10:34:32 PM »
you talkin about the wheel bearing or what? i dont know a unit