Author Topic: Transmission opinion  (Read 975 times)

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Transmission opinion
« on: September 29, 2009, 03:02:04 AM »
Ok so I've been thining of switching out my manual transmission for an automatic.  I've read that the one out of older XJ's (cant remember trans code)is a good way to go.  I'm just looking for more info, price, positives and negatives etc.   

Offline zjorvis97

• Mudd Hog
Re: Transmission opinion
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 03:16:15 AM »
on a good note no stalling out on the trail, don't have to hate traffic as much.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 03:25:07 AM »
I've seen the AW4s swapped into TJs in the past, but I don't know what year they used. If you want information there's a guy on greatlakes4x4 that did this swap and really liked it. I liked the auto in my XJ for rock crawling. You have a lot more control on the way up, but the downside is that you have to use a lot of brakes on the way down since even if you have it in first it will shift if the RPMs get too high. With all the work you just put into your belly up I would look at transmissions lengths and if the flatbelly would give you trouble switching to an automatic.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 03:40:45 PM »
Good point Roger, i'll give AEV a call and see about possabilities.

PaulW

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 06:46:23 PM »
The  aw4  uses  computer  imput  to   shift.  theres  alot  that  will   have  to  be  done.  its  possible though.  on  the  bright  side,  its  a  bulletproof  trans