Author Topic: Winch  (Read 3063 times)

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Winch
« on: September 16, 2008, 07:53:13 PM »
Hey guys, could you take a look at this and tell me if its worth the money?  Atlas 10,000 lb. recovery winch;  equipped with a factory pre-wired control box and water resistant 5.5 hp motor features a high speed gear box with a gear reduction ratio of 148:1  Comes with wired remote plus wireless remote, roller fairlead and mounting plate.   All for $399

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-10-000-LB-Wireless-Wired-Recovery-Winch-p/atdf10000.htm

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
Re: Winch
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 07:58:56 PM »
For a wich, the plate, wireless remote, and fairlead, you can't beat the price with a stick! Honestly, the winch on JD's Jeep is one from Harbor Freight and at $399, it only came with the mounting plate and it has worked just fine for us. Even if it lasts 20 serious pulls to get you out of some nasty stuff, its worth the $$. Plus, if it does break after so many pulls, its not a $900 winch that is out of warranty and now worthless...

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 12:25:47 AM »
Have you checked around the forums to see if anyone know's about this winch?  I've seen it on ebay, under a couple of different names.  Gorrilla was one of them.  Exact same winch.  Scott has a good point, though.  If it only lasts 4 or 5 serious pulls, then it did it's job and it didn't cost $1500  ::) *cough*... Gary.   ;D
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline BayouGold

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 12:58:13 AM »
I think smittybilt is running a special with a free winch mounting plate right now on 4wd.com for $339. it's rated a little lower (xrc8) but it's the same one axle,rocket,myself & nasty nate have. I don't know of any problems we've had. i've used mine 3 times, rocket pulled me off a rock with his,axle pulled rocket at mabell & nate has pulled about everybody at btc with his. i think it is a good deal for the money. 8)
'01 TJ 60th Anniversary Edition

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 01:03:27 AM »
I haven't had any trouble with mine, other than you have to be gentle with the clutch lever or it will snap off.  That was an easy fix, though, and I got the parts from Smittybilt in a couple of days.

I win!

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 02:37:35 AM »
Spend the extra 150 bucks for some synthetic line...Soooo much easier to handle and completely repairable (ask me how I know ::) ), and most importantly, safer than wire rope.

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 02:24:44 PM »
my smittybuilt also pulled me up the 2nd obstical at OFR, no problemo
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 09:22:18 PM »
Have you checked around the forums to see if anyone know's about this winch?  I've seen it on ebay, under a couple of different names.  Gorrilla was one of them.  Exact same winch.  Scott has a good point, though.  If it only lasts 4 or 5 serious pulls, then it did it's job and it didn't cost $1500  ::) *cough*... Gary.   ;D

valid point but last i checked, my handle never fell off and oh yeah, I didnt have to spend 300 dollars to get a winch that winches about half the speed of what mine is rated for and then another 300 to buy an air setup that makes it feel like you're blowing up a tire by mouth... but hey who's to complain right? it's all about what you can afford... ;) If you can wait it out and spend the money once, the dualforce (while expensive .. about 1200ish) is probably your best all around. if you plan down the road to do air as well i'd just wait it out till you could afford it all at once. you'll be much happier. the only problem with mine so far is that when you air up 6 rigs in just under a half hour it tends to drain your battery. Quick answer: Optima Yellow Top and dont air up 6 rigs if you can help it..

Ditto on the synth line. Well worth it for me so far.
Living in Preston. Call me if you're going wheeling!

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 02:59:53 AM »
HA!  But I can run both of mine at the same time! 

And I don't need an optima yellow top to fill up six rigs.   8)

BOOM, HEADSHOT!!!  ;D

I win!

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 03:23:53 AM »
Don't forget to factor in about $300 for the electric fan you'll need after putting that monster on the front of your Jeep...

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 03:43:02 AM »
Note to all, The fan didnt make any difference on the gage's operating temperature. oddly enough it performs same as stock. But it was a nice touch. and it gives me a warm fuzzy. Then again, like i said before, If you have the money to spend, that's your perogative. if you dont, you can do what some other people do and shoot down the more expensive products because they werent an affordable option for them.  :-X

HA!  But I can run both of mine at the same time! 

And I don't need an optima yellow top to fill up six rigs.   8)

BOOM, HEADSHOT!!!  ;D

Which is completely unnecessary.. but good on you. and you dont need a yellow top to fill 6 rigs. you're right.

Although, with the amount of time it takes to fill yours alone it might be a smart investment.. ;) Just a thought.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 03:48:40 AM by RnnngTrails »

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 04:38:58 AM »
It only takes me longer because I have bigger tires.   ;D

*Evil Laugh*
MMMWWWWAAAAHAHHHAHAAAAA!!!!

« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 04:44:35 AM by Axle »

I win!

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 04:47:37 AM »
compensating much? Well.. I'll let you know how my smaller 35s look with tube fenders. enjoy your 37s
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 04:49:10 AM by RnnngTrails »

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 05:31:57 PM »
Yes, I need bigger tires for my

;D

I win!

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 05:37:13 PM »
Yes, I need bigger tires for my

;D

DO they still sell those shirts???? That one is awesome!  LOL