Author Topic: Vacuum Leak  (Read 1212 times)

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
Vacuum Leak
« on: July 01, 2008, 07:27:55 PM »
I got a check engine light today. When I read it, it came back as a vacuum leak. Any thoughts on how to fix this?
Living in Preston. Call me if you're going wheeling!

Offline reg

• Trail Master
Re: Vacuum Leak
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 07:39:24 PM »
I got a check engine light today. When I read it, it came back as a vacuum leak. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

check for the obvious, take off gas cap, replace gas cap.  disconnect battery for 30 minutes, reconnect battery.  unless you have already done that.

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 08:15:09 PM »
no.. it just came on. figured i'd ask around first.
Living in Preston. Call me if you're going wheeling!

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 08:44:17 PM »
Check your breather tube on top of your valve cover (the part where you put in the new oil).  Sometimes, when that tube gets old, it will crack and come loose.
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline BayouGold

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 02:38:49 AM »
I got that before.I wasn't noticing anything running wrong so I went to advnce auto & borrowed their reader & erased the code/reset the light. Hasn't come back on. Mine had 2 codes: major & minor leak.
'01 TJ 60th Anniversary Edition

Offline Gastank

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
  • HORSEPOWER: A TIRE BURNING GOOD TIME!
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 09:24:02 PM »
ANOTHER WAY TO TEST FOR A VACUUM LEAK IS TO SPRAY CARB CLEANER ON THE VAC LINES WITH THE MOTOR RUNNING.
IF THE RPMS INCREASE... THERE'S YOU LEAK. YOU CAN USE OTHER FLAMMABLE SPRAYS, BUT I FOUND THAT CARB CLEANER WORKS GOOD.
ALSO, THERE'S THE PCV VALVE THAT IF IT GETS CLOGGED CAN CAUSE A CODE TO POP. IT IS RECOMMENDED TO CHANGE YOUR PCV AT EVERY OIL
CHANGE. WHICH FOR 3 BUCKS IS WELL WORTH THE HASSLE.
91 YJ, 350cid/TH400/231 4.5 RE springs, 2" Bonz shackles, 33/12.5/15 MT baja claws, and lock-rite in the rear.
"But it is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation." - Herman Melville