Author Topic: need help with locker  (Read 2881 times)

nvrdun

need help with locker
« on: May 18, 2008, 02:32:16 PM »
does anyone knows the difficulty level of this task...never done this before and don't want to mess it up,
or anyone interested in lending a brother a  hand!! :)

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
Re: need help with locker
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 02:40:51 PM »
What kind of Locker is it? If it requires removing the ring gear, then I would suggest taking it to a shop that knows gears. If its one that replaces the spider gears in your differential, then someone might be able to lend a hand. I helped install one(it was either a Powertrax or a Lock-Right) a few years back and it was actually pretty easy but again, we didn't have to remove the ring gear or reset backlash.

nvrdun

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 03:00:50 PM »
What kind of Locker is it? If it requires removing the ring gear, then I would suggest taking it to a shop that knows gears. If its one that replaces the spider gears in your differential, then someone might be able to lend a hand. I helped install one(it was either a Powertrax or a Lock-Right) a few years back and it was actually pretty easy but again, we didn't have to remove the ring gear or reset backlash.
it is a Lock-Right, AMC 20.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 05:00:14 PM by nvrdun »

Offline ct axle

• Trail Passenger
    • ct axle service
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 03:14:29 AM »
$250. you bring the oil.CT Axle Service, 281 4454-pete
'yer rear need fixin ?'

nvrdun

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 01:59:19 PM »
i think i was asking for help not rapped!!!!lol and then i have to bring the oil 2....TBNT ;D

Offline Kral4me

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 02:20:28 PM »
i think i was asking for help not rapped!!!!lol and then i have to bring the oil 2....TBNT ;D
LMAO you dork!

Pete from CTAXLE owns his own shop, and is the one who did all of Axle's work, AND will be doing my Tera-Lo kit too!! He does great work, trust me.

And TRUST me he isn't doing anything other then helping you out for that $250 lol. He's the one we usually all go to when WE can't do the work we want done on our Jeeps ;) He does everything he can possibly do to keep the price down for us moneyless grubbers who know that JEEP means "Just Empty Every Pocket" lol.

I am pretty sure the $250 is far lower a price then you would be offered anywhere else ;) You might want to take him up on it, if no one here can help you....
~J.D.~
"When life gets too hard to stand....crawl."

nvrdun

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 03:37:54 PM »
LMAO

Pete from CTAXLE owns his own shop, and is the one who did all of Axle's work, AND will be doing my Tera-Lo kit too!! He does great work, trust me.

And TRUST me he isn't doing anything other then helping you out for that $250 lol. He's the one we usually all go to when WE can't do the work we want done on our Jeeps ;) He does everything he can possibly do to keep the price down for us moneyless grubbers who know that JEEP means "Just Empty Every Pocket" lol.

I am pretty sure the $250 is far lower a price then you would be offered anywhere else ;) You might want to take him up on it, if no one here can help you....
woo woo woo!!!! I'm sure Pete is trying to help but 250.+ oil its a little 2much for me after spending 300 for the locker!!! :P, .........I am pretty sure that Pete $250 is far lower a price then i would find anywhere else but still does not justify 250+oil. ;).. ;D   

Offline Kral4me

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 06:29:46 PM »
*grins cheekily* It's a good price if you can't find anyone able to help your ass put that locker you have IN.

LMAO!
~J.D.~
"When life gets too hard to stand....crawl."

Offline Gastank

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
  • HORSEPOWER: A TIRE BURNING GOOD TIME!
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 08:35:35 PM »
Lock-rite is insanely easy...

First pull your cover, bottom end first, to drain the oil out. The completely remove the cover. This will expose the ring gear/carrier and caps. take time to make the main caps and carrier in relation to it. Make sure you have a haynes or a chiltons for torque specs. If your axle is a c-clip style which I'm pretty sure the AMC 20 is. There is a small bolt on one side of the carrier, remove that and the post that it's connected to. Your going to need to push the axleshaft in to remove the c-clips. once the c-clips are removed pull the axleshafts out enough to clear the carrier.

This is the main part to pay attention too....

Remove the carrier main caps, making sure that you keep the bolts/caps together.
Pull the carrier and shims out. take not of how many shims are on either side. if you don't you'll be getting towed to CT axle to get the carrier shims set back up. once the carrier is out, remove the spider gears as these will be replaced by the locker.
In your lock rite kit, you should have 4 clutch plates, 4 springs, 4 dowels, and two side bearing. Two of the clutch plates are different than the other two, aka two are flat and two fit into the inside of the carrier. the ones that fit inside the carrier, put them in either side with the side bearings between the clutch plate and the carrier. Take the dowels and insert them into the other two clutches there are shallow holes and deep holes. (they go into the deep holes), you'll notice the teeth are going to be pointed away from the center. Remember that post that you pulled out... well that's going to be reinstalled between the inner clutches, so you have to mind how the inner clutches line up.
ok with that being said... once the dowels are in place, position the inner clutches into the carrier. This is where it gets frustrating!!! the springs have to go into the holes to force the dowels out. Here's what I did, I took the post and reinserted it for the time being, just to get the springs in. before you put the post in, push the dowels from one clutch into the other. just to hold the two together. once you have the post in, take a small screw driver and push the springs into the openings. do it in like an "X" formation. once you get all of the springs in, remove the post and line the inner clutches up to put the post all the way through the carrier. and put the carrier back in with the shims on their appropriate sides. reinstall the carrier main caps, and torque. now for the fun part. The clips now need to go back in. push the axle shaft in on one side and slide in the c-clip, you might have to turn the axle shaft a little to get it in. now do it on the other side. once the c-clips are in, the post can now be reinstalled. get the post reinstalled and your done! just rtv the cover and put gear oil in and that is that.
91 YJ, 350cid/TH400/231 4.5 RE springs, 2" Bonz shackles, 33/12.5/15 MT baja claws, and lock-rite in the rear.
"But it is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation." - Herman Melville

nvrdun

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 08:59:30 PM »
Lock-rite is insanely easy...

First pull your cover, bottom end first, to drain the oil out. The completely remove the cover. This will expose the ring gear/carrier and caps. take time to make the main caps and carrier in relation to it. Make sure you have a haynes or a chiltons for torque specs. If your axle is a c-clip style which I'm pretty sure the AMC 20 is. There is a small bolt on one side of the carrier, remove that and the post that it's connected to. Your going to need to push the axleshaft in to remove the c-clips. once the c-clips are removed pull the axleshafts out enough to clear the carrier.

This is the main part to pay attention too....

Remove the carrier main caps, making sure that you keep the bolts/caps together.
Pull the carrier and shims out. take not of how many shims are on either side. if you don't you'll be getting towed to CT axle to get the carrier shims set back up. once the carrier is out, remove the spider gears as these will be replaced by the locker.
In your lock rite kit, you should have 4 clutch plates, 4 springs, 4 dowels, and two side bearing. Two of the clutch plates are different than the other two, aka two are flat and two fit into the inside of the carrier. the ones that fit inside the carrier, put them in either side with the side bearings between the clutch plate and the carrier. Take the dowels and insert them into the other two clutches there are shallow holes and deep holes. (they go into the deep holes), you'll notice the teeth are going to be pointed away from the center. Remember that post that you pulled out... well that's going to be reinstalled between the inner clutches, so you have to mind how the inner clutches line up.
ok with that being said... once the dowels are in place, position the inner clutches into the carrier. This is where it gets frustrating!!! the springs have to go into the holes to force the dowels out. Here's what I did, I took the post and reinserted it for the time being, just to get the springs in. before you put the post in, push the dowels from one clutch into the other. just to hold the two together. once you have the post in, take a small screw driver and push the springs into the openings. do it in like an "X" formation. once you get all of the springs in, remove the post and line the inner clutches up to put the post all the way through the carrier. and put the carrier back in with the shims on their appropriate sides. reinstall the carrier main caps, and torque. now for the fun part. The clips now need to go back in. push the axle shaft in on one side and slide in the c-clip, you might have to turn the axle shaft a little to get it in. now do it on the other side. once the c-clips are in, the post can now be reinstalled. get the post reinstalled and your done! just rtv the cover and put gear oil in and that is that.

Thank you: Gastank :)
finally someone answer my question :D
i let you know how it go by the end of this weekend!!! or i'll be calling a tow truck.. to take it over CT AXLE'S aka Pete...LOLOLOL.......thanks  ;D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 02:39:38 AM by nvrdun »

Offline ct axle

• Trail Passenger
    • ct axle service
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 12:00:25 AM »
you guys are a weird bunch ;D. if it wasnt an amc 20 it would be $20, lol. i know what you about a locker plus install. thats the problem when you add in extra parts and have to pay an experienced shop to put it in, but you can still  call me for free  if you get hung up. :) pete
'yer rear need fixin ?'

nvrdun

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 01:36:57 AM »
you guys are a weird bunch ;D. if it wasnt an amc 20 it would be $20, lol. i know what you about a locker plus install. thats the problem when you add in extra parts and have to pay an experienced shop to put it in, but you can still  call me for free  if you get hung up. :) pete

alright Pete...$100.00 and we called it even.......i'll even bring the oil..LOL ;D :D ;D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 02:30:17 PM by nvrdun »

Offline Gastank

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
  • HORSEPOWER: A TIRE BURNING GOOD TIME!
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 02:00:35 AM »
No worries. I didn't have (never had) the money to pay a shop. so I learned by the school of hard knocks and busted knuckles with a hint of colorful adjectives. Just remember, the only way you know you can't do something is to fail trying.  :)(copyrighted by Brad Coleman) :)
Hope all goes well for you,

PS, sorry to take money outta your pocket pete. I might be making it up to though.... We shall see "whispers" dana 60's
91 YJ, 350cid/TH400/231 4.5 RE springs, 2" Bonz shackles, 33/12.5/15 MT baja claws, and lock-rite in the rear.
"But it is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation." - Herman Melville

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 02:48:50 AM »
yeah, pete has worked on quite a few of our rigs.

i spent 1800 on gears and lockers.

i'd rather pay someone to do it right. than pay to replace parts. then pay someone to do it.

plus pete back his work 150%.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 05:22:28 PM »
The only way to learn is to try it and have a backup plan if something goes wrong. I've put an Aussie and Trac-loc in D30s and a Tru-Trac and a spool in a couple of D44s. The first time I took one apart I printed a whole bunch of stuff off the internet to help me and go through it without a problem, but I had a friend that knew that stuff pretty well and was on standby at the phone if I needed help. The D44 with the spool I also replaced all my bearings and seals without a problem.
1994 YJ on 37s