Author Topic: What does this line do?  (Read 1447 times)

Teknist

What does this line do?
« on: April 25, 2008, 07:45:21 AM »
I was putting my yj up on a lift to install a body lift and i noticed one of the lines running along side my frame was broken, I'm not really sure what the line does. I know it is not a fuel line or a break line and i think it has something to do with drawing a vacum for my four wheel drive. However, everything works i can shift in and out of 4x4 and my engine doesn't sound funny so i have no idea what this line is for. Oh and i did finish the 2inch body lift however when i put the drive column back in apparently i put it in completely upside down and i really didn't feel like taking it back out again so i just pulled the steering wheel off and drilled a new hole on the opposite side of it for the horne...i hope that dosent affect anything. Oh and by the way my name is Denton Sweat and i work in the auto hobby shop on base.

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
Re: What does this line do?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 12:11:19 PM »
does it run along w/ your fuel lines?  It could be a vapor return line.  If it is, then its primarily a emmisions control device, though the vapor it is bleeding off is wasted gas.
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline CaptORM

• Rock Crawler
    • JT 4X4
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 12:42:06 PM »
The only important vaccum line runs down to the front driveshaft coupling unit.  Rocket is right.  Its probably your return line.  You would save a bit of gas by making that connection good.  Do you smell gas all the time when the vehicle is running??
I do cheeks for free just ask...

l  
 l _[==]__o___o
 l//_|__l__l,\___\,___
 l_--\__\__l_/---\_[] llll [)
  (o)_)        (o)_)--o)_)

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee
6.5" lift, 33's

Offline Doball

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 12:45:25 PM »
Which side of the Jeep? Is it in the front / rear?

If it's the right front it could be for the fork that locks your front axle together. Your Tcase would still shift into 4wd, but only your driver side front tire would be turning under power.

Here's a pic of the axle    http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/projects/comanche/posilok/posilok2.jpg

Your's will be sightly different, but the square thing on the back of the axle right above his hand is the fork slider that engages 4wd in your front axle.

If the hose doesn't go there, then it shouldn't have anything to do with 4wd.

When's the next time you're working up there? I'll swing by and take a look at it.

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 03:53:37 PM »
Welcome to the club!   :)
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master