Author Topic: Death wiggle.....i think..  (Read 3600 times)

Offline McNastyNate

• Trail Passenger
Death wiggle.....i think..
« on: March 28, 2008, 09:44:16 PM »
alright guys tis' morning on my way into work i was going about 30 mph hit a few bumps in the road and then my jeep started shimmying and shaking back and forth rediculously and my steering wheel was shaking back and forth to the point i couldn't hold it any more.....the only way it stopped was to slow down and pull off to the side. it did again one more time on the way in and then my ride home went fine. Is this the so called death wiggle? and if so how do i fix it....i think it might be due to the fact that i don't have a slip yoke eliminator kit with my lift.....Help please...

Offline Mr. Potter

• Paid Members
  • Rock Crawler
  • On top of the world
Re: Death wiggle.....i think..
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 10:36:02 PM »
That sounds like the trac bar might have came loose. Did you retighten everything again after the lift was installed. You need to crawl under and check everything tight. SYE or lack there of will not cause death wobble. Soounds like trac bar IMO.
Well I am a Jk Owner now so don't hate.

Offline Doball

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 01:50:00 AM »
Track bar, Drag link, steering stabilizer. Grab each one at the ends and shake to see how much play is in the ends. How many miles on the Jeep?

Oh yeah, that's the Death Wobble. I had it bad, until I replaced the SS.

Offline One-Eye

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • JT4x4
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 01:53:45 AM »
When I put on my lift I had the same thing.  I changed the Steering Stabilizer and it fixed some of it.  A front end alignment fixed the rest.  SYE will reduce some drive train vibration but not that.  If you ever decide to install an SYE let me know, I have done 3 successfully.  Well, minus one cheek-bone, but that wasn't my fault.
JT4x4 Founding Member

Offline McNastyNate

• Trail Passenger
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 03:02:19 AM »
anyone have recommendations/ warnings for steering stabilizers?

Offline CaptORM

• Rock Crawler
    • JT 4X4
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 04:27:14 AM »
Yup you have the death wiggle.  Careful cause it will break your control arm brackets off.  I had it really bad and have done alot of research on it.  Cherokees are known for having problems with the death wobble.  First things first. 

Do you have an adjustable track bar?  If so make sure it is A) tight.  real tight. not just the bolts but the adjustment also  B) make sure you check the adjustment with the vehicle on the ground.  Not on a lift. 

Next,  Check your alignment.  Pick a reference point on your tires, like a lug or sidewall.  Then measure the distance between your front tires using that reference point.  You need to measure the front of the tires then the back to see the difference.  This is your alignment.  If the difference is more then .5" then you need an alingment.

Next,  Make sure your tire pressures are even.  One front tire at 30 and the other at 35 can increase the chances of the wobble.

Next,  Check your tie rod ends.  If they have alot of play its time to replace them.  If not then dont worry about them.  They are not causing the problem.

Next,  Spend some money on a good steering stabilizer.  The problem with stabilizers is they dont actually cause or eliminate the problem just add a little more force to the issue to keep it from happening.  That is until the shock starts going bad.  Which by the way will be much sooner then it should. 

Any questions just ask.
I do cheeks for free just ask...

l  
 l _[==]__o___o
 l//_|__l__l,\___\,___
 l_--\__\__l_/---\_[] llll [)
  (o)_)        (o)_)--o)_)

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee
6.5" lift, 33's

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 04:36:52 AM »
so with all of that,

re-torque everything.

ditto on the alignment.

Offline McNastyNate

• Trail Passenger
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 05:32:27 AM »
yeah, i just had an alignment done about 2 weeks ago at a garage, and i checked all of my front end rods and none of them are loose so i guess i'll just look into getting a steering stabilizer. has anyone been particularly impressed with any brand in particular?

Offline Gastank

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
  • HORSEPOWER: A TIRE BURNING GOOD TIME!
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 09:26:39 AM »
Skyjacker, dual nitro 9000's!!!! FRIGGIN AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can run 80 all day long without any wobble or vibration. Before I moved of course.
91 YJ, 350cid/TH400/231 4.5 RE springs, 2" Bonz shackles, 33/12.5/15 MT baja claws, and lock-rite in the rear.
"But it is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation." - Herman Melville

Offline Doball

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 02:36:16 PM »
yeah, i just had an alignment done about 2 weeks ago at a garage,

DING, DING, DING.    WE HAVE A WINNER!

Who did it? Take your shit back there and ask WTF. Do this and make them fix it for FREE, since they were the last ones who messed with anything.

On the other hand, if nothing is wrong with what they did then replace the SS. Any brand will work, the larger shock you get the better it will perform, but a dual is a waste of $$$ for a daily driver. (oh yeah, and if you have any problems getting the tapered stud out, DON'T DRIVE WITHOUT THE STABILIZER!!!!!! trust me, you've never felt the wobble till you do that)

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 12:17:25 AM »
Old Man Emu 30mm SS.  Tough as nails, fat, and it works great for my 35's.  I think it's about $50 or $60 on Quadratec.
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 04:17:31 AM »
Rancho RS5000 steering stabilizer. Have had the same one on JD's TJ with 33's for 4+ years and its still working great! No wobble at all. I am just now replacing the shocks that were put on in 2003 and I'm going to replace the SS while I'm at it just for good measure....

Offline BayouGold

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 03:33:29 PM »
I got a Black Diamond for about $70,works great. One thing I had to do was get a pitman arm puller to get the stock one out though. Just something to keep in mind as you may encounter the same problem.
'01 TJ 60th Anniversary Edition

Offline McNastyNate

• Trail Passenger
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 04:26:45 AM »
Thanks for everything yet again. i just threw the dual skyjacker steering stabilizers on today (rather safe than sorry) and as far as i can tell the wobble is gone. appreciate the help.

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 04:33:12 AM »
good, good.

did you ever replace your brake lines?