Author Topic: brakes  (Read 1987 times)

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
brakes
« on: March 26, 2008, 02:28:35 AM »

at the hobby shop.

having trouble with my brakes locking up. reg helped change my calipers(sp). but that didn't help. i they just made it worse.meaning that now, when they lock up, i stop as soon as i step on the clutch, and off the gas. it was a gradual occurance because only 1 of the 4 pistons were actually working.

only other option is master cylinder. talked with guy from b-2-b had a taco and said same thing happened. changed pads and rotors... better,but came back, changes all brake lines...came back, changed calipers...came back, had nothing left but master cylinder. changed and fixed it. wasted 500 bucks. for a 60 dollar part.

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
Re: brakes
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 02:46:24 AM »
how did it go?
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 02:47:30 AM »
So are you just going to go ahead and replace the master cylinder then? 
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline Rebell Bull

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
  • YJ'S rule
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 07:02:29 AM »
So where did you do it. I was waiting on you, I work nights now at the shop so I will be there for three to eight now.
Lets go see what I can break next

Offline CaptORM

• Rock Crawler
    • JT 4X4
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 12:54:47 PM »
sounds like some kind of filter blockage or a bent brake line. 
I do cheeks for free just ask...

l  
 l _[==]__o___o
 l//_|__l__l,\___\,___
 l_--\__\__l_/---\_[] llll [)
  (o)_)        (o)_)--o)_)

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee
6.5" lift, 33's

Offline reg

• Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 03:33:44 PM »
all i have to say is that we looked it over and the calipers were froze.  only one clyinder would even move when the brakes were applied. I don't think a master cly. or even a portionating valve would spontaniously cause the brakes to apply.  I am really confused on this one. I figures that the brake were not comming back because the clyinder was froze up.  the lines are good, i traced them back to the master. It could be the rears, we didn't look at those.  remember your e brake is broke, it may have somthing to do with that. but in my experiance anytime somthing goes bad wit the drums, it make a rattle/squeeling sound.

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 04:25:48 PM »
Jon, I would seriously recommend you take it to Midas or Mineke and have them do a diagnostic on it.  Then, when you know exactly what is wrong, we can fix it.  Usually the diagnostic's are free.  This way you can eliminate the guessing and troubleshooting and get straight to the problem.  Just my .02

I win!

Offline reg

• Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 11:37:18 PM »
Jon, I would seriously recommend you take it to Midas or Mineke and have them do a diagnostic on it.  Then, when you know exactly what is wrong, we can fix it.  Usually the diagnostic's are free.  This way you can eliminate the guessing and troubleshooting and get straight to the problem.  Just my .02

he sounded pretty confidant today that is was the master.  hopefully it's an easy change out.  he plans on doing it tonight.

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 05:13:07 AM »
Did it happen?  Did it work?

I win!

Offline Rebell Bull

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
  • YJ'S rule
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 05:52:47 AM »
we spent a couple hours working on it today and don't know what the heck is going on, it is going to karn's. I hate it when I get stumped.
Lets go see what I can break next

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 06:18:46 AM »
Well, at least you guys tried.  As long as it wasn't a complete waste of time.

I win!

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 04:29:33 AM »
it was a waste of time, after 3 hours of deliberation, no luck.

swapped the master and bled it (took 20 minutes) after that, no brakes any where and only fluid in the rear drums.

i had it towed (free) to karns and gave them a critique of everything i had done and they said, "faulty master!"

only logical conclusion if everything else was working and i was fully locked 3 hours prior to all the chaos.

only bad thing is i cant get it fixed until monday.

and that's the bottom line...........