Author Topic: 4" lift  (Read 6525 times)

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
4" lift
« on: March 24, 2008, 03:36:15 PM »
So after going out on sat and seeing my limitations.  I now see the need to go higher, not just to navigate more challenging stuff but to help portect my Jeep.  With that said I also need to think about that this Jeep is my primamry driver and I'm on a limited budget.  Ok so I'm guessing its been done before but I have to ask, has there been a review done that compares the multitude of 4" lifts out there and would you be willing to give your opinions on such lifts.  I want to do my homework and get the best bang for my buck.

Offline reg

• Trail Master
Re: 4" lift
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 04:21:27 PM »
i can't say much on tj lifts, but as far as armor goes, save your money and put it into a good lift!  fabircate as much of your own armor as possible and upgrade as you can.  bad apple makes some good diff covers that you couldn't build at their cost.  The factory skid plate an a jeep will last a while, throw some angle iron on your rockers and go. don't cheat your lift for a fancy "light bracket" bumper.  there is a lot of cost setting up a new rig. ie: jack, tow straps, fire extingusher, tires, lift, wheels, cb, breakage.  and if you're thinking 4" or more I believe there is a lot of geomertry involved with the steering. (tj guys help me out). either way jeeps are pretty capabile out of the box.  most of us started with a 2" budget lift and disconnects.  that alone will open up your jeep to a whole new world and you can still take it on the highway, add a locker or two and it's a prudy darn good start. a plus for the budget lift is that when you decide to go higher, you can still use the budget boost to gain that 2" again. just my thoughts, good luck with the build.

Offline CaptORM

• Rock Crawler
    • JT 4X4
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 04:59:44 PM »
I agree with Reg.  There are some places to try and save money on.  Your lift is not really one of those areas.  You get what you pay for in a lift.  The 2" budget boosts are great to get started and allow you some space to save up money for the real lift. 

As for the geometry stuff.  Well there are some ways to get it done cheap with some risks then there are some ways to get it done right.  Its not cheap.  Adjustable track bar and drop down pitman arm are the way to go for steering.  Good lifts will come with everything else you need.
I do cheeks for free just ask...

l  
 l _[==]__o___o
 l//_|__l__l,\___\,___
 l_--\__\__l_/---\_[] llll [)
  (o)_)        (o)_)--o)_)

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee
6.5" lift, 33's

Offline Mr. Potter

• Paid Members
  • Rock Crawler
  • On top of the world
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 06:52:07 PM »
Rubicon Express 3.5" all the way. It rides pretty close to stock. But the super flex kit will cost you around 900 bucks. standard kit will cost you 600. Then with the 4" lift you will need SYE and drive shaft, $350 roughly. I agree that do it right the first time. I had a BB and just wanted more. Welcome to the addiction.
I am just about where I want to be now. Lockers and skid plates next.
Well I am a Jk Owner now so don't hate.

Offline BayouGold

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 09:36:56 PM »
Hey man. These guys know a lot more than I do. I got a 3" Teraflex basic kit for $475.00. Springs,bumpstops,drop pitman arm,rear sway bar xtensions,track bar bracket. I've added Teraflex quick disconnects which I love($100), & gone from 31's to 33's. The 33's definately made a difference. McNatsty Nate got a 4" lift with front & rear lower control arms + all the goodies I've named minus the disconnects for a little over $500 he said. I can't recall what company though. You might want to pm him. Most I've heard anything over 3" you'll want a SYE & driveshaft combo to eliminate vibration, but like I said,I'm pretty much a rookie. That's my 2 beans worth.
'01 TJ 60th Anniversary Edition

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 02:11:58 AM »
i echo everything these guys say,

i am a taco guy

i went with quality and what would be tougher, last longer, and overall support what i wanted for my rig.

just know what you want, and all the quoted prices are very realistic.

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 02:58:41 AM »
X2...  Shop around online and see what's in your budget and what looks good.  When you find something you like, post it here with a link and we'll help you disect it.  Our jeeps have an array of lifts on them, so chances are one of us already owns it, has seen it, or got rid of it.  Try and find a lift that includes as many components for a complete setup as possible, while staying as close to your budget as you can. 
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline McNastyNate

• Trail Passenger
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 03:51:11 AM »
yeah i got a 4" rough country lift from jc whitney  http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2011491/c-10108/Nty-1/p-2011491/Ntx-mode+matchallpartial/N-2006+10108+200004043/tf-Browse/s-10101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=rough+country. It was pretty easy to put on and i didn't run into any problems that weren't my own fault. I like it a lot and feel like i  got more than i paid for especially since similar kits are up around 800$ from other companies and this one was only 520$.

Offline Rebell Bull

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
  • YJ'S rule
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 07:08:35 AM »
rough country has been making lots of changes, they are setting a new standard and hopefully everyone will soon follow. It is there goal to provide cheap quality lifts. They are good, but do have some issues. Some of the metal they use is not as high of quality as other company's but it does hold up. For the money it is a good lift. But just shop around and talk to the dealers.
Lets go see what I can break next

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 03:01:26 PM »
OK so my 57 chevy truck is now up for sale and I have a guy coming to look at it tonight.  If it sells, CA-CHING!  I have in mind what I would like but the more research I do for this my likes and price keep going up.  Thanks for all the advice, I do trully appriciate it.

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 06:11:02 PM »
dude!  you are selling an old chevy and didnt' tell me?  I did think you were cool.  got a pic?

sorry, didnt' mean to hijack this thread
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 02:27:27 AM »
Yee haaaa, I sold the truck!  Hello lift here I come!

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 05:14:20 AM »
Congratulations!  You'll be riding higher in no time! 
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 12:46:04 PM »
Congrats on selling the truck!  I wish i had the money/time for another project!
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 07:13:11 PM »
OK so I have $1800 to play with +/- a few $100.  From what I've learned, I think and please correct me if I'm wrong, is that a long arm lift performs better both on road and wheeling.  A good friend of mine who does alot of wheeling out west introduced me to Full Traction.  I've read what they are about and how they work and I'm buying into it.  What I'm not buying into is their price, I would if I had won powerball last night.  Is there a company out there comparable to them?  OR, am I completly out of my gord here with the whole long arm lift and should stick with a short arm?  Man this money is burning a whole in my pocket!  Oh yeah one last question, can I use my stock rims if I go with 33's?