Author Topic: HELP!!!! Suspension issues after 4" lift....????  (Read 1695 times)

Offline McNastyNate

• Trail Passenger
HELP!!!! Suspension issues after 4" lift....????
« on: March 17, 2008, 11:45:50 PM »
hey i just did a 4" rough country suspension lift on my 06 TJ and after i was done the front axle cocked on the passenger side forcing the spring guide into almost touching the spring and slowly shimmying the sway bar over to the passenger side until it is now rubbing a hole into the frame on the driver's side. i thought it might be the the control arm on the one side being too short or something. I have literally scratched my head for hours trying to figure out what it could double and triple checking everything i did with the lift but i can't find what the problem is.....
Has anyone out there ever experienced this with a lift before or have any ideas what the source of the problem could be? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as i am now afraid to drive my jeep because of causing serious permanent damage.

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: HELP!!!! Suspension issues after 4" lift....????
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 12:29:50 AM »
it sounds like you didn't install the track bar relocation bracket (or the kit didn't come with on, but certainly should have) ... or maybe didn't install it correctly
1988 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 4.0, TF-999, NP-231, Dana 30 Truetrac, Dana 44 Detroit Locker, 4.88s, on 35"s

Offline Mr. Potter

• Paid Members
  • Rock Crawler
  • On top of the world
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 01:53:41 AM »
wouldnt the track bar pull to the drivers side? your trac bar is out of whack. Did you adjust the track bar when you did the lift?
Well I am a Jk Owner now so don't hate.

Offline McNastyNate

• Trail Passenger
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 02:25:29 AM »
Yeah, i thought it might be the trac bar also....my friend helped me do the lift and he recommended i get an adjustable trac bar which i thought was to eliminate the need for a trac bar relocation bracket but he said he had just used both on other lifts he did. I thought it looked like we might have made it too long so i adjusted it today on the shorter side but it didn't change it too much. but i still think it might be it if that's the first thing you guys came up with. i guess i'll just redo the front end the first day i get the time to do it. Appreciate the help, i'll let you know if it pays off.

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 02:36:07 AM »
as far as I know, the track bar should be adjusted such that it sits right when on flat level ground.

ie, remove the track bar completely (or at least disconnect one end)  ... drive the jeep back and forth 10 or 20 feet, while it is on flat level ground.  inspect to be sure that the axle appears to be centered properly, then adjust the track bar such that it fits correctly without any effort to get the bolts to line up.
1988 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 4.0, TF-999, NP-231, Dana 30 Truetrac, Dana 44 Detroit Locker, 4.88s, on 35"s

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 02:39:11 AM »
oh, and if I read your post right, NO, you should not need both the relocation bracket AND the adjustable track bar, the relocation bracket is intended to make the length proper for your stock length track bar.  the adjustable should be able to be made long enough to not need to relocation bracket, and you will be much better off without the relocation bracket

Offline McNastyNate

• Trail Passenger
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 03:19:16 AM »
thanks for the much simpler idea, i should be able to do that tommorow afternoon then.

Offline CaptORM

• Rock Crawler
    • JT 4X4
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 12:26:49 PM »
Did you get the alignment done after you put the lift on.   Sounds like and alignment issue.
I do cheeks for free just ask...

l  
 l _[==]__o___o
 l//_|__l__l,\___\,___
 l_--\__\__l_/---\_[] llll [)
  (o)_)        (o)_)--o)_)

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee
6.5" lift, 33's

Offline McNastyNate

• Trail Passenger
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 11:53:56 AM »
yeah i had the alignment done before but it didn't fix the problem. i just switched out the adjustable track bar for the stock one with the relocation bracket and last night drove it around a bit. it seems like it might have done the trick. i need to go get an alignment done though so after that i should know for sure if it worked. Thanks for the help.