Author Topic: Oil pressure  (Read 1586 times)

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Oil pressure
« on: March 14, 2008, 02:42:40 PM »
Hey what does your oil pressure run at.  Mine has been up around 60 psi and with high rpms it gets pretty darn close to 80 psi.  Is this normal for a jeep?  If not what could be some possabilities for causing this?

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
Re: Oil pressure
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 07:23:13 PM »
I can't speak for a jeep specificly, but do have experience w/ other engines.  you usually want at least 10psi per 1000 rpm.  80 is not too high; some oil pumps run at a higher pressure than others (esp race pumps).  an oil pump is a positive-dispacement pump (means a fixed vol of oil is pumed per revolution) and has a built-in relieve valve that lifts when pressure gets too hight and dumps oil back to either the suction or oil pan.  The best thing w/ oil pressure it to watch for a change in what it normaly does for what you are doing (accelerating, cruising at xx mph, etc).  that's your indication of a problem, not over all pressure.

hope that helps
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 02:15:55 AM »
that's higher than I have seen on either of the jeeps I've owned, but like rocket says, what's normal for one jeep might be different than what's normal for another, what you should concern yourself with is when it changes drastically from what you're used to.

that said, I believe that the oil pressure gauge on a jeep is a negative trigger, such that a bad/weak ground to the gauge cluster will cause it to real high ... do you have any strange readings on any of your other gauges?

what kind of jeep is this?  YJs and XJs that have the oil pressure gauge in the center of the dash, and not as part of the speedo/tach cluster, notoriously have ground problems.  TJs can too on the normal cluster, but less frequently
1988 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 4.0, TF-999, NP-231, Dana 30 Truetrac, Dana 44 Detroit Locker, 4.88s, on 35"s

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 03:53:28 AM »
are your gages electrical or mechanical?
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 04:06:51 AM »
i know it's a dummy check, but

how old is the pump?

and are you sure it is circulating well (a ticking noise /1 cylinder less oil than others)?

not clogged so it is forcing oil throug hit at a higher PSI?

old oil/ thick viscosity?

engine size/ mileage / v or straight

not questioning you abilities, just trying to gain info about your rig.

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 05:38:44 AM »
are your gages electrical or mechanical?
as far as I know, all jeep gauges from any years that I'm familiar with (yj or newer) are all electrical except for some mechanical speedos on older YJs and XJs
1988 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 4.0, TF-999, NP-231, Dana 30 Truetrac, Dana 44 Detroit Locker, 4.88s, on 35"s

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 03:26:38 PM »
ok so I got the TJ about amonth ago.  I was only able to drive it a couple of times before it was on stands in the driveway.  I just changed the oila dn filter and since the pressure hasent gone over 60 psi.  Maybe the previous owner put in too much oil?  Its running really good now. 

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 03:58:10 PM »
too much, wrong weight, too old... who knows.

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 09:33:34 PM »
great to hear.

glat to meet you at the church today. see you this sat.