Author Topic: Broken shock stud  (Read 1569 times)

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Broken shock stud
« on: March 03, 2008, 02:05:07 PM »
Hey all, I know its a standard problem but I just dont know the easiest standard fix.  I broke 2 bolts (one in both rear shocks) both closest to the gas tank.  Oh yeah this in on a 99 TJ.  Could someone please help me! 
Oh by the way I'm new to this forum, I got your card from Autozone.  I saw you guys there 2 sat ago.  I totally interested in hooking up and trying out some offroading.  Is there a site to look at public trails?
Thanks

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
Re: Broken shock stud
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 02:12:50 PM »
Talk to Rebel Bull.  I just had the same problem on my 04 TJ while I was doing my axle swap.  It's a little hairy welding next to the gas tank, but as long as their are no leaks, you will be fine.  We welded two bolts upside down for the shock mount.  Put a couple washers, a lock washer, and a nylon lock nut on the studs and it will hold fine.  When I go to change out my shocks, I'm sure I'll have to do the same to the other side.  It's a really easy fix, you just need access to a welder.
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline Rebell Bull

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
  • YJ'S rule
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 07:30:53 AM »
Send me a pm if you want to get together to fix it.
Lets go see what I can break next

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 07:00:51 PM »
also, it would help to know future plans befor making something permanant for a temporary application. (to help with some fore thought) like if you were swapping the shocks to mount to the crossmemer/brace instead fo the frame.

good luck. i'll help if i can.

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 02:40:42 PM »
Alex Thanks for stopping by yesterday and welding up my new shock bolts.  I should have it back on the road by this afternoon.

Hotrod, Alex tells me you go to Seaport.  I also go to Seaport, maybe we could meetup this sunday to introduce ourselves.

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 07:24:03 PM »
reg and I go, too.  however i wont' be there this sunday :(
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 04:07:43 AM »
cool!!!

i had no idea...

Offline Rebell Bull

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
  • YJ'S rule
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 10:59:41 PM »