Author Topic: reverse lights  (Read 3701 times)

Offline reg

• Trail Master
Re: reverse lights
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 04:21:56 AM »
here, this may help:

come on... I though this was clever and no one has said anything...  BAH!!   ;D

Offline Rebell Bull

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
  • YJ'S rule
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 08:54:13 AM »
It is clever and good tutorial for light placement on a yota. My favs are the just because.
Lets go see what I can break next

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008, 02:46:51 PM »
It was great, Reg.  Just shows how Hot-Rod can light up your life!   ;D
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2008, 02:43:12 AM »
Tonight I finished my install.  The lights now come on w/ the swith AND by going into reverse.  There was one hic-up, though.  I had bought a lit switch (it glows when the lights were on manually).  I put it in first, since it should have been a simple swap.  turns out it needed a ground wire, so i put on on.  the light came on w/ the lights, nice!  then i went about installing the relay to turn them on w/ reverse.  I wired up the relay no prob, tapped into the fused side of the power feed to the lights, then routed power down-stream of the manual switch.  I then turned the key on, shifted to reverse, and "POP!"  WTF?  the lights arn't on.  Trouble shooting revealsed that the relay was wired correctly, so was the switch, but the feeder fuse blew.  i swaped it out, and blew it again by going into reverse.  Turns out that when my new switch is in "off" it shunts to ground via the extra ground wire, and when the relay kicked in, i was feeding the battery to ground.  Now I'm pissed off, as i paid for an extra swich so it would light up.  I put back the non-lit switch and it works fine.  I just need another 15A fuse (blew all of mine, i've got a 10A fuse in for now).  but at least my lights come on automaticly!
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2008, 04:18:43 AM »
Congrats!  I hate wires... 
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline Rebell Bull

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
  • YJ'S rule
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2008, 07:33:23 AM »
If you need me to bring one tommorrow, call me.
Lets go see what I can break next

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2008, 11:20:10 AM »
If you need me to bring one tommorrow, call me.

Thanks Alex, but i'm gonna pick up a small pack tomorrow from advanced
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2008, 06:54:46 PM »
cool.

i do only drive with 4 lights on at a time. but chances are, that most cop's don't even know the law. which isn't a reason to break the law.

jeremy i cant stand wires too. that's why i had reg install a whole new mini circut board for all my lights and crap. it looked like spaghetti under the hood lol.

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2008, 07:22:02 PM »
I'm usually pretty good with wires, and sometimes even enjoy working w/ them, but this was the first time i've used a lit switch, so i learned something new.  Other than that, it was simple.