Author Topic: Wagoneer 44s  (Read 3755 times)

Offline 98xj

• Mudd Hog
  • 98 Cherokee 4.5in on 33's
Wagoneer 44s
« on: January 31, 2015, 06:04:48 AM »
I came across someone selling a pair of dana 44s out of an 88 Wagoneer, rebuilt with 4.88 gears and spools, front trussed, warn hubs and newer brake parts.
Obviously these would be an upgrade from my stock axles (HPd30 and c8. 25) but he wants $$$. I know the fronts of those are low pinion (I think), and 44s aren't too much of an upgrade compared an 8.25 (so I've read) but they are fully built and set up for an xj so it would be an easy swap. I'd mostly want to get rid of the spools, otherwise they're perfect. Wanted to know what you all thought. Any advice is appreciated.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: Wagoneer 44s
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 03:01:26 PM »
Do you know if they are full spools or mini spools? Mini spools are easy to put spider gears back in if he still has the ones that came out. The waggy44 I'm putting in my YJ has a spool, but since it as lock out hubs it will still drive down the road fine so I can live with a spool in the front. The rear spool will tear up your rear tires quickly so you'll want to change it out sooner rather than later.

Your current axles will handle 33s just fine and as long as your not heavy on the skinny pedal should handle 35s. Just bring extra shafts in case.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline 98xj

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 04:55:28 PM »
Thanks for the input, they're mini spools. The real thing I'm trying to figure out is whether I should drop the cash on regearing my currents or just buy these bolt on 44s that are fully built (which would end up being slightly cheaper). What's your experience with turning with a spool up front? Difficulties? I also believe the seller still has the original spider gears

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 01:00:19 AM »
Driving road speeds in snowy conditions would be tough to make a corner. When crawling you won't notice it as much, but it will pull through the turn some.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline 98xj

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 06:26:52 AM »
Good info. I'll take that into account when I decide 1.if I get them 2. What I want for a locker up front. Ill probably definitely end up throwing a lunchbox in back.

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 06:00:30 PM »
Good info. I'll take that into account when I decide 1.if I get them 2. What I want for a locker up front. Ill probably definitely end up throwing a lunchbox in back.

I lunchbox is fine in the rear, but for the front a selectable is the best but also the most expensive! I run auto lockers in both axles and it's no fun on the road in the snow!

find out if the 44's have chromoly shafts, if they have been upgraded then I would get them but if they are still stock shafts it may be cheaper to upgrade your existing set up and be just as strong while picking the gearing you want.

I run 36x13.5x15 Irocs with chromoly's in my HP 30 front and stock 8.8 and have little to no issues, and I wheel hard!
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline 98xj

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 03:33:53 AM »
They are stock shafts  :-\ I'm going to meet him tomorrow, if I can get them for cheaper than he wants I think I'll get them. It's not necessarily the strength factor because I know that both 44s are hardly an improvement, it's more of what I'm getting for the price. He wants 2500 for both 44s. Front has jcr otk steering, Clayton track bar, tnt truss, comes with a set of spare shafts and a HD diff cover, newer brake parts, warn manual hubs, 4.88 Yukon gears and a mini spool. Rear has 4.88s mini spool and u bolt eliminators. Both were wheeled twice at raush Creek and he claims to have roughly 100 miles on all the parts.
If I can get them for 2 grand I don't think it would be the worst thing ever since I'd spend that on parts alone for my current axles. I'm just brainstorming tough  ::) we'll see what happens tomorrow

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 08:06:57 AM »
They are stock shafts  :-\ I'm going to meet him tomorrow, if I can get them for cheaper than he wants I think I'll get them. It's not necessarily the strength factor because I know that both 44s are hardly an improvement, it's more of what I'm getting for the price. He wants 2500 for both 44s. Front has jcr otk steering, Clayton track bar, tnt truss, comes with a set of spare shafts and a HD diff cover, newer brake parts, warn manual hubs, 4.88 Yukon gears and a mini spool. Rear has 4.88s mini spool and u bolt eliminators. Both were wheeled twice at raush Creek and he claims to have roughly 100 miles on all the parts.
If I can get them for 2 grand I don't think it would be the worst thing ever since I'd spend that on parts alone for my current axles. I'm just brainstorming tough  ::) we'll see what happens tomorrow

What gear are you looking for?  Rock and I have very similar set ups, he wheels his a lot harder then I wheel mine, but I was never afraid of the skinny pedal.  I picked up a 8.8 out of a sport with 4:11 gears and a HP D30 out of a 4 banger wrangler which had 4:10's, put Aussies in both, and chromo's in the D30 for just over $1200.  I also now have 4 wheel disc brakes.  IMO $1500 would be a fair price for the D44's.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline 98xj

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 03:10:19 PM »
Initially I wanted 4.56, but willing to settle for 4.88 if that's what these 44s are already geared to. I like the idea of picking up a couple axles already geared to 4.10 too. If I absolutely can't get a decent deal on these axles, that's a possibility I may consider.

Offline JKSue

• Paid Members
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 03:51:21 PM »
...but I was never afraid of the skinny pedal.

My nephews still call you 'give it more gas'.  ;)

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 04:29:57 PM »
That's high for those axles. I'll tell you that I picked up my Waggy 44 with 4.88 gears, chromo shafts and spool along with a 8.8, welded and 4.88 gears for my YJ for $525. No trusses or anything and the brakes will need work, but even with those couple things I won't have near what you will have into those axles. Set up for XJ may be a little more expensive than set up for SOA YJ, but I don't think they should be that much more, especially with mini-spools. They are cheap.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline 98xj

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 05:26:31 PM »
Everyone keeps telling me that and I'm with them. Trust me, I'm in no rush to spend that kind of cash :-X since he's a Craigslist guy it might be kinda hard to negotiate too. I'm meeting him in about an hour, I'll see what happens. Worst case I don't get them. I've set a price limit for myself that I'll walk away with if he won't compromise. Thank you all so much

Offline 98xj

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 07:05:20 AM »
I ended up picking up the axles. Welds looked good, Hubs looked newer and everything checked out. Paid 1800.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 12:32:10 PM »
Congrats on the new axles. They do look clean and you gave the steering ready to go also. I still have to figure out what I'm going to do for steering. There's something to be said about buying something ready to install and not having to figure out other factors.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline 98xj

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 04:42:55 PM »
Thanks! Half the reason was for the convenience of installation and time I'll save.  I'll figure out what needs tweaking once I get to the install stage.  I know I definately need a body mount for the trackbar, redone front and rear shock mounts, some sort of shielding for the brake lines and  this is all assuming the steering and trackbar match my particular setup.
You mentioned  that you're running a waggy as well? You have the advantage of the knuckles being setup for otk, I feel like any of the good names out there have solid setups for steering jcr, ruff stuff, Clayton and Currie both do I believe etc. Or you can go hi steer  ;D :o