Author Topic: Stop and Go Transmission--- Great service!!  (Read 3190 times)

Offline JKJon

• Paid Members
  • Rock Crawler
Stop and Go Transmission--- Great service!!
« on: February 12, 2014, 12:43:18 AM »
Hey everyone. I just wanted to give Stop and Go Transmission in Groton a little shout out here.  I recently had them do my gears (w/ master overhaul kits), axle shafts (front & rear), ARB locker in the rear and a TruTrac up front. I have to say they did a great job at a good price. Then a month with new gears and stuff I broke 5 teeth off the front ring gear. I had it brought back, got new gears for the front, and they took care of it right away. The gears were tested by Randy's Ring & Pinion and was determined to be my fault for sudden shock load. Wether that was the real cause or not I don't know, but the shop stood by there work and hooked me up getting the new set installed. Couldn't be happier with the service I recieved there. So if you need any diff or transmission work I would highly reccommend them.

Here is a link to there contact info
Ask for Joel and tell him you are from the club
http://www.stop-go-transmission-groton.com/

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: Stop and Go Transmission--- Great service!!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 02:31:17 AM »
That's good information to know Jon. I alredy told Dan that I would have him do the Detroit in my 8.8, but Stop and Go is much closer when I'm ready to put a selectable in the front. That won't be happening anytime soon, but it is part of the future plans.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 04:39:12 AM »
I'm glad to hear they took care of you. Very disapointed to hear a very big company like Randy's Ring & Pinoin would not give you another set of gears for free. Would be better for them to just hand out another set of gears then to get bad news about them spred around.  I won't be recomending anyone to them. I just found a defective tire causing it to loose air slowly. Called Discount tire direct who I get them from and they sent me another $250 tire with out question. Thats what gives you a good reputation. Randy's is screwing then selves.  The shop you delt with is also doing the right thing and their not nearly as big as a Co like Randy's.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 09:38:31 PM »
Google Yukon Gear Break In.  They have a really good break in process that I'd highly recommend you follow, especially for a daily driver rig.
04 TJ, HP60, 14 Bolt, 5.13's, linked, locked, on 38's and (still) in the works.

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 03:01:14 PM »
How is the True track working for you when driving on the road ? And strange noises or pulling around corners ?
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline JKJon

• Paid Members
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 05:50:38 PM »
Google Yukon Gear Break In.  They have a really good break in process that I'd highly recommend you follow, especially for a daily driver rig.

Thanks for that. Didn't realize it was a big deal. The shop said I did not have to break in gears, cause I did ask.

How is the True track working for you when driving on the road ? And strange noises or pulling around corners ?

The TruTrac is not noticeable on the road in 2 wheel drive and have not seen any real negatives the few times in 4 wheel drive on snow covered roads.

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 09:27:06 PM »
Thanks for that. Didn't realize it was a big deal. The shop said I did not have to break in gears, cause I did ask.

Ya, not many people do.  Most shops who specialize in ring and pinion installand repair will rrecommend it though.  The break in process actually hardens the gears and helps them mesh better.  Whole deal actually can help prevent breakage and will make them run quieter and cooler over the life of the gears.

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 01:02:09 AM »

Ya, not many people do.  Most shops who specialize in ring and pinion installand repair will rrecommend it though.  The break in process actually hardens the gears and helps them mesh better.  Whole deal actually can help prevent breakage and will make them run quieter and cooler over the life of the gears.

My gear break in on my Dana 60 consisted of my jeep on jack stands in 4th at about 1800 rpm for about 6 hours it was kida entertaining watching a 38" tsl spin at 40 mph
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 02:05:07 AM »
The gears need to heat up and cool down several times to harden the gears. I did not wheel mine or go over 50mph for 1000 miles

Offline Harryhood

• Trail Passenger
    • My Scamp
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 03:22:47 AM »
I followed the break in period as suggested on ringpinion.com. 20 minute easy driving, Let it cool, go easy for another 500 miles, change the fluid and call it good.

Offline JKJon

• Paid Members
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 04:30:17 PM »
Wish I had known all of these break in procedures before I had the second set of gears installed and did a road trip up to NH and back a couple days after install. I did about 80mph there and back. Around 600 miles. Really not feeling good about the strength of my setup now.

Offline Harryhood

• Trail Passenger
    • My Scamp
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 08:57:19 PM »
Wish I had known all of these break in procedures before I had the second set of gears installed and did a road trip up to NH and back a couple days after install. I did about 80mph there and back. Around 600 miles. Really not feeling good about the strength of my setup now.

best thing you can do now is change the fluid. when gears break in filings are created, best to get them out and put new fluid in.

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 02:29:57 AM »
Pull the diff cover and drain it completely.  Get a LOT of brake cleaner (spray cans) and spray it all out making sure all the oil is 100% cleaned out.  It'll take a good 5-6 cans.  Check for a magnet (some diffs habe one, some do not) and clean it off to remove all the shavings.

Reinstall the cover and fill with a good synthetic gear lube.