Author Topic: JK tie rod options??  (Read 2219 times)

Offline JeepNV

• Mudd Hog
JK tie rod options??
« on: September 23, 2013, 11:23:50 PM »

So, since I decided I needed to put more $ into my JEEP, I bent my tie rod at City Hall...yay me!!  ;)
My steering wheel is about a quarter turn off (oops), not that I care that much, but I figured it is time to upgrade.
And now I'm getting false low tire pressure lights, ESP light...ya know, funky lights that make you nervous but mean not too much.
Looking for brand suggestions and what else I may need to purchase (draglink tie rod ends??).  As Bob suggested, may also want o flip my steering stabilizer too...hell, why not???
Thoughts? Poems? Limericks--oh, maybe not those, this is a family site!!!    :o
Thanks!!
Cindy
I work to support my Jeep:
2011 JK Rubi, 2.5" Teraflex lift, 35" Duratrac on 16x8 on 7069's, Clayton UCA, RR front & sway skid, Recon syn 10,000# winch, OR FAB rear can mount tire carrier, Poison Spyder diff covers & evap skid, ACE rails, Rancho oil pan skid, mini skids,  PIAA lites, AEV Snorkel...

Offline JKSue

• Paid Members
  • Rock Crawler
Re: JK tie rod options??
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 01:56:46 AM »
I went with the synergy chromoly tie rod simply because you can adjust it without taking it off - I don't know of any others that allow that. I don't know what wheels you have but you gotta have at least 4 3/4 backspacing or you will have issues though.

I think as far as strenght goes with aftermarket, for the most part, it doesn't really matter what you go with.  I certainly wouldn't spend the money on a currie (over a grand) or anything dramatic like that. Something else is gonna break before my $325 chromoly tie rod does. I'd definitely flip the ss - but wouldn't bother spending the money on a new ss - stock is fine. In fact I have a spare if you hit that along with the tie rod.

Now go spend some money. :D

Oh, and you know you can recenter your steering wheel yourself?  I know you said the tie rod is bent but I'm wondering if you adjust the draglink if the nanny lights will quit goin off at least. Its real simple to do - just loosen the 2 nuts on the draglink & twist the turnbuckle till the wheel is straight.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 02:30:30 AM by JKSue »

Offline JKJon

• Paid Members
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 03:27:39 AM »
I just put on the synergy tie rod along with there stabilizer clamp for the tie rod. Really happy with both products. Both were $375 shipped from Northridge. The tie rod comes with greasable ends. I have a bracket you could probably use to mount the left side of your stabilizer. Here's a pic

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 04:20:25 AM »
The Senergy set up is very nice. Very strong at a reasnable price. I might go with that but looking at a tie rod flip cuz I no im just going to bend it the way I have been wheeling lately. Lol
If your steering wheel is off then there is 1 or 2 things bent. If the link from the pitman arm to the R side knuckle is bent then adjusting that sleeve like sue said will straighen your wheel and posibly cool down the worning lights but if the main drag link from wheel to wheel is bent then your wheels are towed in and your going to get some bad tire wear in about 1000 miles or less. Either way if this is your daily driver then dont wait too long cuz once the tires get this wear pettern its permenent. I drove my jeep to work and back for 4 days at 54 miles round trip after I trashed my front axel and it cupped my front tires. Now my alignment is perfect and after 5000 miles of driving the tires are still extreamly noisy. Good thing the radio is loud. Lol
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 05:58:36 AM »
I installed both Sue and John's tie-rods and Sue is right the adjustment is easy to do without taking anything apart. and the only adjustment is toe-in and is easy enough to do in anybodys garage. I have it down now and can do in a half hour, lol and like John said you will need to get there clamp for the steering stabilizer.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 07:05:16 PM by Mr Rock »
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline JeepNV

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 01:40:49 PM »
Thanks all for the feedback!!
I have the procomp 16x8 7069 wheels...  4 inch backspacing...hmmm...I'll call Dave at Northridge, he is always helpful regarding fitment.
And yes Sue, I did smack my ss a bit, so if you have one kicking around, I can definitely use it.  ;D
Not my DD, so not in a hurry to get her fixed up (can't go to Rausch).
Thanks Bob for the other details to look for, I'll see if I can see what else may be bent.

Again, I really appreciate the help!

Rock and Jon...  Ready to wrench again soon???   8)
2011 JK Rubi, 2.5" Teraflex lift, 35" Duratrac on 16x8 on 7069's, Clayton UCA, RR front & sway skid, Recon syn 10,000# winch, OR FAB rear can mount tire carrier, Poison Spyder diff covers & evap skid, ACE rails, Rancho oil pan skid, mini skids,  PIAA lites, AEV Snorkel...

Offline JKJon

• Paid Members
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 02:24:47 PM »

Rock and Jon...  Ready to wrench again soon???   8)

Yup. I would be happy to give you the bracket I mentioned too if you can use it. It had clearance issues in mine, but have seen it used on other Jeeps.

Offline JKSue

• Paid Members
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 02:31:19 PM »
It's yours, I'll dig it out of the garage.  You should be fine with 4 in of backspacing (especially with a 16, I have a friend that had issues with his 15s & the Synergy even with less than 4 3/4 bs, but it was a diameter issue) - I've got 4.5 on my 16s and am fine but it can't hurt to ask.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 02:55:45 PM by JKSue »

Offline JeepNV

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 04:25:42 PM »

[/quote]

Yup. I would be happy to give you the bracket I mentioned too if you can use it. It had clearance issues in mine, but have seen it used on other Jeeps.
[/quote]

Thanks Jon, I may take you up on that!