Author Topic: Banging  (Read 1550 times)

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
Banging
« on: July 23, 2013, 09:03:32 AM »
So I have installed the 4" Skyjacker kit and big tires, I now have a new issue. Whenever I am in lower gears it feels like my transmission is banging as I push in the clutch. The other banging I have is when I am in reverse and I apply the brakes, as soon as I release them it sounds like something pops back into place. This only happens when I am going straight back, if I have the wheel turned either direction I do not get the same result. If it were just a little knock I wouldn't think twice but this is a noticeable thing. One suggestion that was given to me about the shifting is the angle of my diff and they thought a SYE would correct it. Any thoughts?

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
Re: Banging
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 09:26:13 AM »
What locker do you have in the rear again
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 09:38:59 AM »
Detroit Auto-Locker

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 02:17:35 PM »
Did you install a tcase drop when you put the lift in? Did you install a motor mount lift? If you did either one of these things when you installed the lift I would pull the boot around your stickshift and see if your shifter is making contact with the body. Any changes to geometry in that area can get you some rubbing. How's your transmission mount? The PO of my YJ put that ridiculous 3" BL in it and due to angles, when I went to put it in the garage I cannot use 2nd, 4th or reverse. The angles are so bad the shifter can't even reach the slots in the sheet metal of the body.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 12:20:17 AM »
Just a FYI. Turns out that I had neglected to tighten a couple of bolts on the Lower control arms. As soon as I tightened these down everything worked fine and all banging was eliminated.